Resorts Booked This Weekend!!??? Why..?

bobtabin

Living in Florida, I thought I could swing by Disney this coming weekend (09-25-2009) for a couple days and stay overnight Friday night cheaply at one of the value or moderate resorts. However, while trying to book a (Florida resident) room, no cheap rooms are available. Only Disney's Old Key West Resort @ $291 a night is available.

The question is: What is going on at WDW this weekend to make it so busy? Is it the combination of people attending Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and staying the night and the Food and Wine Festival starting? I am completely surprised as to all the hotels are booked.

I guess I'll have to stay off-site a $69 Hampton Inn or such.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject!

bobtabin

Original Poster
Now that you say that, I didn't find a Disney sponsored golf tournament for this weekend (others in Sept) but a 5K type event at Animal Kingdom Saturday evening named Expedition Everest Challenge, as shown here: http://disneyworldsports.disney.go....ail?name=ExpeditionEverestChallengeDetailPage

I did find a golf tournament in Orlando as shown here: http://www.orlandogolfconditions.com/OrlandoTournaments/tabid/976/Default.aspx

Still seems odd during a normally low attendance timeframe that the resorts are booked. It great for Disney, not great for me who would prefer to staff on-site cheap :) for one Florida-resident night. Either way, I'm still going.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Pretty much a grand combination of everything already mentioned all combining to equal no rooms on-property.

The original window of available dates for Free Dining, this weekend would be the start of the final week of it.

It's the start of the Food & Wine Festival, and because Dining Plan snack credits are accepted at the kiosks, some people combine like to combine Free Dining with the F&WF.

As also mentioned, it's the 5k race on Saturday. (Hmmm... I'll have to check the route and see if there will be any road closures that might affect my plans...)

And lastly, but only a small component, you have a couple hundred AC fans descending for the Congaloosh event. ;)

I'm just glad I booked my room at Sports using the Bounceback offer when I was down in June. I have a friend also going but waited until the last minute to book a room and is staying on Hotel Plaza Blvd.

-Rob

Upvote 0

bobtabin

Original Poster
Pretty much a grand combination of everything already mentioned all combining to equal no rooms on-property.

The original window of available dates for Free Dining, this weekend would be the start of the final week of it.

It's the start of the Food & Wine Festival, and because Dining Plan snack credits are accepted at the kiosks, some people combine like to combine Free Dining with the F&WF.

As also mentioned, it's the 5k race on Saturday. (Hmmm... I'll have to check the route and see if there will be any road closures that might affect my plans...)

And lastly, but only a small component, you have a couple hundred AC fans descending for the Congaloosh event. ;)

I'm just glad I booked my room at Sports using the Bounceback offer when I was down in June. I have a friend also going but waited until the last minute to book a room and is staying on Hotel Plaza Blvd.

-Rob

The 5k run is inside Animal Kingdom, check out the website from the previous past, it states: "Just after sunset, teams of two take on the exotic terrain of Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park in a fun, competitive 5K run, obstacle course, and scavenger hunt."

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Last minute resort availability is getting pretty tight these days. Most of Disney's resorts, especially the values and the moderates, run at near 100% occupancy year round. Add in all of the other things going on this weekend and it is not surprising that little to nothing is available.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

Also keep in mind that the Florida resident rooms are limited in number within the resorts. Once the rooms that are designated as such are booked, their availability is gone.

Upvote 0

corey154

The following weekend is the same. My friend is trying to get a room for friday oct 2nd and all the rooms are booked. She can't find any available rooms at ANY of the Disney resorts. She keeps calling every day hoping to find a cancellation. We live about an hour away and she has her tickets for the Halloween party, at least worst comes to it she can drive home..but I think she's looking at trying to get one of the non disney resorts across from DTD.

Upvote 0

EaglesfanNJ

-Rob

This is great info guys. Can you tell me what i might be able to expect next week (9/27-10/3) in the grand scheme of things?? Should i be worrying about crowds? I know Epcot will be a little busier especially on Fri and Sat. But overall, i've been this time of year before and enjoyed it, minimal waits for all rides. Can i still expect low to moderate?

Upvote 0

MissM

I booked our stay last month and had to pick the 19th for our stay instead of our preferred date of the 26th because of lack of availability. (Our anniversary is really this weekend but we booked a week early because it was all they had.) So over a month ago, there wasn't any real openings on FL resident/AP discount rooms. I'm not surprised you can't find anything at this point.

Upvote 0

bobtabin

Original Poster
I booked our stay last month and had to pick the 19th for our stay instead of our preferred date of the 26th because of lack of availability. (Our anniversary is really this weekend but we booked a week early because it was all they had.) So over a month ago, there wasn't any real openings on FL resident/AP discount rooms. I'm not surprised you can't find anything at this point.

I live an hour away and have never had too much trouble booking a hotel a week or less early, until now. Even checking Expedia, it's booked. In fact, checking the regular Disney website (non-Florida resident), everything (except $300-1000 rooms) are booked. Anyhow, though the hotels are booked, I still feel it's less busy now than it was in August. I think people are simply taking advantage of the great Disney resort rates--this doesn't always mean it's going to be slammed this weekend. Any feelings on this?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom