Resort"upgrade" offer

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
So, got a message from Disney that there was an offer to "upgrade" to a different resort if we wanted, for minimal cost. Taking a poll of what others would do.

Our trip currently is a 3 night short trip. Staying at the Beach Club Resort View Room. Just spending two days in the parks. One day to go to MK and have fun at the Halloween Party that night. The next day will be Epcot to have fun at the Food and Wine festival for the first time. Last time we stayed at the Beach Club and Poly, and adored both.

The "Upgrades" are Resort View at Poly for only $61 more total, or Resort View at Grand Floridian for $261 more total. Honestly, not sure we care about the Grand, but we do love Poly too. There are benefits to both. With the Poly, we are closer to MK, and can take the monorail to either park. For Beach Club, we have to take the bus to MK, but we are within walking distance to Epcot, our favorite park.

Thoughts?

Tom P.

The Grand Floridian does nothing for me. Never has. So I'd personally pass on that "upgrade."

But the Poly would be tempting, especially for that small of a difference in price. You mention Epcot is your favorite park and being within walking distance of it is nice, but at the Poly you have the monorail, so I'd probably still lean that direction. Just my opinion, though.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
The Grand Floridian does nothing for me. Never has. So I'd personally pass on that "upgrade."

But the Poly would be tempting, especially for that small of a difference in price. You mention Epcot is your favorite park and being within walking distance of it is nice, but at the Poly you have the monorail, so I'd probably still lean that direction. Just my opinion, though.
Thanks. Just so hard ya know!

Club Cooloholic

So, got a message from Disney that there was an offer to "upgrade" to a different resort if we wanted, for minimal cost. Taking a poll of what others would do.

Our trip currently is a 3 night short trip. Staying at the Beach Club Resort View Room. Just spending two days in the parks. One day to go to MK and have fun at the Halloween Party that night. The next day will be Epcot to have fun at the Food and Wine festival for the first time. Last time we stayed at the Beach Club and Poly, and adored both.

The "Upgrades" are Resort View at Poly for only $61 more total, or Resort View at Grand Floridian for $261 more total. Honestly, not sure we care about the Grand, but we do love Poly too. There are benefits to both. With the Poly, we are closer to MK, and can take the monorail to either park. For Beach Club, we have to take the bus to MK, but we are within walking distance to Epcot, our favorite park.

Thoughts?
I would stay at Beach Club, Poly is building that tower which means it could be noisy, you can't easily walk to the grand or MK either because of it. If you have never done Poly before and have done BC, then sure do Poly. BC has the convience of walking or taking the boat to both Epcot or HS wins out. They have a cool pool, rooms are kinda boring, but that's ok. Lots of dining options too. Poly has great options for dining and drinks but man are they crowded. Very hard to find a spot at most of the bars, and so many non resort guests take over the place.
Poly is still my favorite resort, but passing till construction is over.

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

For $61 I’d move to Poly. After a late night at a party the quick trip back to the resort would be welcome. Epcot is easy to get to with a relatively short walk from the resort to the TTC.

As far as construction, we were there in May and there was no issue. It’s unsightly from the monorail but there were no noise issues. We could barely even see the tower from the main part of the resort. That being said, if you get stuck in Aoteroa you might have a different experience. (It seemed like those rooms were being used but I can’t say for sure)

Edit: word choice

Last edited:

the_rich

Thoughts?
I got the same offer last year going from boardwalk to the grand Floridian for $100. I took it and was very happy with the choice. Though I would've taken the poly over gf if it was offered.

plutofan15

I would stay at Beach Club, Poly is building that tower which means it could be noisy, you can't easily walk to the grand or MK either because of it. If you have never done Poly before and have done BC, then sure do Poly. BC has the convience of walking or taking the boat to both Epcot or HS wins out. They have a cool pool, rooms are kinda boring, but that's ok. Lots of dining options too. Poly has great options for dining and drinks but man are they crowded. Very hard to find a spot at most of the bars, and so many non resort guests take over the place.
Poly is still my favorite resort, but passing till construction is over.
Stayed at the Polynesian the week before this past Christmas. We were in the Tuvalu building next to the construction area, noise was absolutely not a problem. Did not affect us at all. I would not let that be a factor in your decision. We very much enjoyed our stay, being on the monorail easily opens up additional dining options at the GF and Contemporary. Getting to Epcot and MK is easy as well. That being said, the Boardwalk area is our favorite area to stay. Don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'd do Poly. Access to to MK is great and after the party a monorail or boat back to Poly is more enjoyable, imo. It's easy to get to EPCOT by monorail. Basically, your whole trip can avoid buses. You mentioned not doing parks every day and I think Poly has more to do if wanting to resort hop around MK resorts. Finally, Poly tower should be getting into final touches by time parties start, so there should not be noise issues.

I'd only stick with Beach Club if my heart was set on the pool.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I would upgrade to Poly and never think twice. I just find Poly the best hotel on site though...

The construction never bothered us once.
I'll never understand the Poly-fanatics (;)). We stayed at the Poly in 2019 based on all of the positive comments and were really disappointed. There were some positive perks - monorail access, watching MK fireworks from the pool with music piped in, and Dole Whips. But, there was not enough dining options at a resort of that size, rooms were dated (I know they are now being updated), bus service to other parks was not as good as we have experienced at other resorts (AKL, Pop, POFQ, CSR) and the monorail was only a good perk outside of peak times since there is not a dedicated line for resort guests like there used to be (many years ago). And, the pool at the Beach Club is way better than the Poly. For us, the Poly is ust not worth the $$$. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Clarifying I now realize We are going before the food and wine festival. Honestly we were supposed to go later originally, But ended up moving the trip up and I forgot we moved it before it started 🤣

Disstevefan1

Thoughts?
If the numbers are for the total for three nights and not per night, you gotta pick one! So cool to be on the loop! I would like to see the exact rooms.

This is a tuff one,

On the one hand, personally, we would never stay in GF and that is why I would pick GF to be able to experience it!

On the other hand, we love the Poly and if that is the total price for all three nights, That's GREAT!

OK, OK I have toggled back and forth on this one, I pick the Poly!

nickys

Premium Member
I think it depends on a) whether that difference is per night or in total and b) what you want to do on the non park days.

If you have significant time to spend not in the parks, what would you do? Stormalong Bay? Skyliner resort hopping to Riviera, AoA & Pop? Surrey bikes around Crescent Lake? Mini golf? Enjoy the Boardwalk, Jelly Rolls? Then stay at the Beach Club.

Resort hop around the monorail, over to WL and Geyser Point, over to FW, Hoop de Doo? Then choose the Poly or GF.

If you don’t like the GF then there’s no point in choosing that resort. But if it’s a case of it’s always been too expensive and you feel it’s worth it, then go for it.

MickeyLuv'r

As much as I like BC, if Poly is only $61 more total, I think might go for Poly. GF is fine, but GF and BC are often included in discounts, while Poly is often excluded. (When Poly is included, in the up-to-30% off discounts, Poly gets 5% off, while the other two are usually closer to 30% off.)

In some ways, I like BC better than Poly, but I also enjoy seeing different resorts.

Money isn't the only factor though. If your family has been imagining a stay at BC, and how you will enjoy walking to Epcot, etc, then that is a really important factor. We have turned down last minute discounts because we had already planned our visit based on staying somewhere else. In this case, if you feel like you'd enjoy BC more, then stick with BC.

DisneyFanatic12

I'll never understand the Poly-fanatics (;)). We've stayed at the Poly in 2019 based on all of the positive comments are were really disappointed. There were some positive perks - monorail access, watching MK fireworks from the pool with music piped in, and Dole Whips. But, there was not enough dining options at a resort of that size, rooms were dated (I know they are now being updated), bus service to other parks was not as good as we have experienced at other resorts (AKL, Pop, POFQ, CSR) and the monorail was only a good perk outside of peak times since there is not a dedicated line for resort guests like there used to be (many years ago). And, the pool at the Beach Club is way better than the Poly. For us, the Poly is ust not worth the $$$. YMMV, of course.
I cannot vouch for the Poly based on personal experiences, because we have terrible luck with it! Stayed twice in recent memory, and both times the monorail and hot tub were broken! The first of the two stays was especially bad, because the boats were down due to the wind, and walking was not yet an option.

So alas, I should probably give it another chance, but it might be a sign that the Poly just doesn’t want me to visit…

(Just a note: these are NOT common occurrences, just what has happened to me when I’ve stayed. My family has stayed and they consider it to be one of the best resorts on property.)

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The other thing is that you likely won't get Poly again at discounted to "Beach Club like" prices but you can always book a future trip to go BC again aroubd the same price.

And if you don't want to pay the difference, maybe they'd even let you do Poly standard view for the same price without an upgrade charge.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Thoughts?
Sounds like they oversold BC.

Don't give up BC. If anything they should offering discounts for moving, not up-charges.

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
The other thing is that you likely won't get Poly again at discounted to "Beach Club like" prices but you can always book a future trip to go BC again aroubd the same price.

And if you don't want to pay the difference, maybe they'd even let you do Poly standard view for the same price without an upgrade charge.
It didn't give me that option, Just resort view which I thought was their standard option. I could be wrong because the only other time we stayed there.We paid for the theme park view.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
It didn't give me that option, Just resort view which I thought was their standard option. I could be wrong because the only other time we stayed there.We paid for the theme park view.

You're correct. Disney simplified room categories in the last year or two and I wasn't up to speed. Resort view now includes garden, monorail, or parking lot views.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom