Resort Safes...

MaXXimus

How big are they? Are they just big enough for paper work and small items or could you put a laptop in one? My wife wants to bring her laptop but afraid it might get stolen out of the room if she cant lock it up...

Also... there is internet in the rooms correct? Wireless or? My wifes laptop I know has wireless card but not sure if I need to purchase another card that can be connected with a hardwire.

Nemo14

How big are they? Are they just big enough for paper work and small items or could you put a laptop in one? My wife wants to bring her laptop but afraid it might get stolen out of the room if she cant lock it up...

Also... there is internet in the rooms correct? Wireless or? My wifes laptop I know has wireless card but not sure if I need to purchase another card that can be connected with a hardwire.
The safes are pretty narrow - I don't think they'd hold a laptop, but I could be wrong. We usually just put valuables in the dresser drawers and have never had a problem.

Upvote 0

JDM

Well, in the safe I had at POR, there was NO WAY a laptop would fit.
That's about all I can tell you.

but really........honestly........Would it be so bad to leave it at home?

Upvote 0

Kadee

I always lock my purse in my suitcase (which we store in the closet) when we are out of the room. I would do this with my laptop as well.

That is what we do with purses and the laptop (and anything else of value). We have never had anything missing or even touched in our rooms. I would not leave it in plan sight, but just put it in your luggage or in a drawer under some clothes.

Upvote 0

stryker520

Unfortunately, some of us really have to go to WDW for work (conventions).

I usually bring along something called a Kensington Cable. Another brand name is Defcon. They are cables that lock directly onto your PC and the other end wraps around a fixture in the room. If the cable is cut, an audible alarm goes off. They come in handy when the safes aren't large enough. You can get them at any computer store (CompUSA, Best Buy).

http://www.targus.com/us/accessories_security.asp

TIP: Don't tie it to something like a desk handle; the handles can easily be removed with a screwdriver. Worst case you can go all the way around the desk top. Thieves will have a hard time explaining why they are carrying a desk around with them. :animwink:

Upvote 0

maryszhi

The safes are small, but if you ask the front desk, you can give it to them to put into a special safe for larger items, thats wht i do when i go. Also it depends on the resort to what type , if any , internet is availible. Its either wireless or a dial up. Id call the resort as well as your provider to ask.
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

Upvote 0

maryszhi

OOps, I forgot to ask if ur staying at disney hotel(grand floridian,pop century,exc.) Those are the only places i can speak for those are the only hotels ive stayed at.
~ A dream is what your heart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~

Upvote 0

MaXXimus

Original Poster
OOps, I forgot to ask if ur staying at disney hotel(grand floridian,pop century,exc.) Those are the only places i can speak for those are the only hotels ive stayed at.
~ A dream is what your heart makes~

Im staying at Wilderness Lodge

Upvote 0

maryszhi

they have wireless, at least thats what they had the last time i was there
~A dream is whst your heart makes~

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

The safes at Pop Century are the only ones I know of that are large and can fit a laptop in them.

I've stayed in the other hotels all the time and just put my laptop in the top of the dresser drawer and have never had a problem.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't come up with a special kisok at the hotels or parks where you can send your vacation pictures to family while you are there. Like a Kodak Picture Kiosk, only with e-mail capabilities. I t would certainly be interesting.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

The safes at the WL are small wall safes located inside the closet. Yhey will not fit a lap top, just paperwork and a wallet or two.

We bring our laptops all the time and have never had a problem. At first we used a cable and lock (Defcon) to secure them to the rack in the closet, but that got to be a pain. We now just put them in a dresser drawer and they have never been touched. We've even left one out on the table and it wasn't even moved.

There is no wireless there so make sure she has her ethernet cable (they are very cheap at Radio Shack- $5 for a good one). You pay for access per 24 hours, much better than the per call system that was in place before.

We have also used our laptops in other resorts without problem.

Upvote 0

MaXXimus

Original Poster
I'm surprised that Disney hasn't come up with a special kisok at the hotels or parks where you can send your vacation pictures to family while you are there. Like a Kodak Picture Kiosk, only with e-mail capabilities. I t would certainly be interesting.

That would be an awesome idea and I would be willing to pay a nominal fee to use it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom