Resort Mugs

gram1554

Are the mugs different this year. When we were there last year you bought a mug and could only refill it at your own resort. Is it different this year.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A few questions for those that have been to WDW recently -- I say this because the last time I visited WDW was in August 1993. Yes, that will be 14 years next month (my upcoming trip is in October, so 14 years and 2 months).

1. When did these resort mugs come out? Haven't a clue :p

2. What is the purpose of the resort mugs? You buy a mug and get free refills for your stay.

3. Where can you purchase a resort mug and how much is it? I think it's just under $12, but you get to keep it. I's an insulated travel mug.

5. Can I purchase a resort mug at Shades of Green? Haven't a clue :p

5. So, once I purchase a resort mug, what does it entitle me to do? As said, free refills at your resort for the duration of your stay. Includes any fountain drinks, coffee, hot chocolate, etc... No containerized drinks like milk, canned pop, bottled juice or bottled water.
:D See above.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

If you are a coffee drinker, like me, these mugs pay for themselves within the first couple of days of the trip easily. Even with the dining plan, it is nice to be able to stop for a drink on the way back to your room at night, or to have a soda while you relax by the pool.

We drink out them at home all the time, too.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Do the handles/lids come in different colours like the old designs? How about with wide bottoms? I'm going to be at All-Star Sports in September and will purchase two, but I'd like to be able to tell them apart, as with the styles from before.

Another way to identify mugs is with rubber bands or hair bands. You can slide one around the mug to differentiate between them.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

A few questions for those that have been to WDW recently -- I say this because the last time I visited WDW was in August 1993. Yes, that will be 14 years next month (my upcoming trip is in October, so 14 years and 2 months).

1. When did these resort mugs come out?

2. What is the purpose of the resort mugs?

3. Where can you purchase a resort mug and how much is it?

5. Can I purchase a resort mug at Shades of Green? No. We stayed there in March and they don't offer refillable mugs. :(

5. So, once I purchase a resort mug, what does it entitle me to do?

They are well worth the $11.99!

Upvote 0

Dawnzy

Do the handles/lids come in different colours like the old designs? How about with wide bottoms? I'm going to be at All-Star Sports in September and will purchase two, but I'd like to be able to tell them apart, as with the styles from before.

We got the new mugs at Pop in May and they had black, blue and silver handles. They only had the narrow cup, my DH was hoping for a wide bottom one.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I liked the fact that they were resort specific. I always looked at it like a souvineer from the resort. This trip we probably will just buy 2 for the girls. We are on the dining plan and I don't think we would really drink $50 worth of drinks. I don't like taking the mugs into the parks all day, so I am not one to 'fill up before heading in'. I'd rather just spend the $2.50 in the parks and get a fresh drink when I am ready.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
. I don't like taking the mugs into the parks all day, so I am not one to 'fill up before heading in'. I'd rather just spend the $2.50 in the parks and get a fresh drink when I am ready.

I did think about filling my Camelbak with coke from the mugs. But with all the jiggling ...........:)

Upvote 0

DisKid

So, will they be going back to the resort specific mugs after YOMD is over? Because clearly, that is what that mug represents...

This really ticks me off...we're going in a few days and I really wanted a POFQ resort specific mug, which I don't have and will now have to settle with this generic YOMD junk!!!!!

It's just another example of where you can't find special merchandise in WDW anymore...how all the stores have the same exact things!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

So, will they be going back to the resort specific mugs after YOMD is over? Because clearly, that is what that mug represents...

This really ticks me off...we're going in a few days and I really wanted a POFQ resort specific mug, which I don't have and will now have to settle with this generic YOMD junk!!!!!

It's just another example of where you can't find special merchandise in WDW anymore...how all the stores have the same exact things!!!!!!!!!

I agree. We try to stay at different places each trip, and collecting the mugs is one way to look back at where we have stayed.
All the generic junk really stinks. I think it's cool when you can get something that can only be found at the resort or at a certain park. I hope those days are coming back soon.

Upvote 0

sbkline

As has been mentioned, CMs aren't going to stop you from using an old resort mug from a different trip or resort, but you are stealing if you do so. Is it the "Crime of the Century"? No. [Well maybe if you do it at Pop Century it might be considered the crime of the century... :ROFLOL:]

On my last trip in April, I bought the new, generic mug and I specifically asked two CM's if I would be able to reuse this mug on all future trips and the answer both gave me was "yes". One even told me that there is a lady who has been coming annually for 10 years and brings her old Dixie Landings mug everytime. So, at least with the CM I spoke to, she is fully aware that people use their old mugs and she made no mention of it being techinically against the rules. On the contary, she said that it's perfectly okay. Now granted, one or two CM's could be mistaken and be giving wrong info in good faith. However, this is the same thing that other posters have said that CM's said to them as well.

So yes, I know that the mug itself says "good for the length of your stay". However, if CMs are specifically telling people that it's perfectly acceptable to bring your old mug back, rather than simply overlooking it when they see it happening, then I disagree with those who would say that it's stealing.

How can it be "stealing" when a representative of the company tells you it's okay? Since the CM's told me this and others have said the CM's tell them the same thing, then it's reasonable to conclude that they are instructed by their supervisors to ignore the printed wording on the mug. And again, if the employees of the company say it's okay to do it, then it's not stealing.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Just a side note on the mugs-

I would think that the prevalence of the Disney Dining Plan would cut down on the number of mugs sold in the resorts.

It becomes harder to justify the cost of the mug since the person will probably be eating in the the food court less.
There will be more eating in DDP restaurants rather than the food court.
That makes the break-even math on the mugs less able to show an advantage.

:king:

It's a good souvenier to take home, though, and mine sits on my desk at work and serves as my daily coffee mug.

Upvote 0

fyn

On my last trip in April, I bought the new, generic mug and I specifically asked two CM's if I would be able to reuse this mug on all future trips and the answer both gave me was "yes". One even told me that there is a lady who has been coming annually for 10 years and brings her old Dixie Landings mug everytime. So, at least with the CM I spoke to, she is fully aware that people use their old mugs and she made no mention of it being techinically against the rules. On the contary, she said that it's perfectly okay. Now granted, one or two CM's could be mistaken and be giving wrong info in good faith. However, this is the same thing that other posters have said that CM's said to them as well.

So yes, I know that the mug itself says "good for the length of your stay". However, if CMs are specifically telling people that it's perfectly acceptable to bring your old mug back, rather than simply overlooking it when they see it happening, then I disagree with those who would say that it's stealing.

How can it be "stealing" when a representative of the company tells you it's okay? Since the CM's told me this and others have said the CM's tell them the same thing, then it's reasonable to conclude that they are instructed by their supervisors to ignore the printed wording on the mug. And again, if the employees of the company say it's okay to do it, then it's not stealing.

The old Dixie Landings mugs were purchased under a different contract than the mugs they currently sell. The original mugs (I have 4, 2 Dixie Landings and 2 Wilderness Lodge) were sold as "Always Refillable" at whatever resort you purchased it at. One of the big selling points was that you could bring them back and use them on subsequent trips! Those mugs started selling shortly after Wilderness Lodge opened.

If you have one of the originals, go nuts and use it as much as you'd like (at the resort you originally purchases it at). The purchase contract still holds, and anyone who says its stealing is incorrect.

Upvote 0

Goaliemom

When we bought our mugs at Pop just last year we were told to bring them back every trip. The cast member said that this was the perk for buying the mugs. When I read now from some members that I will be stealing if we use our old mugs this time it makes me feel like we are doing something wrong, even though we always try to follow the rules given.

Upvote 0

sbkline

The old Dixie Landings mugs were purchased under a different contract than the mugs they currently sell. The original mugs (I have 4, 2 Dixie Landings and 2 Wilderness Lodge) were sold as "Always Refillable" at whatever resort you purchased it at. One of the big selling points was that you could bring them back and use them on subsequent trips! Those mugs started selling shortly after Wilderness Lodge opened.

If you have one of the originals, go nuts and use it as much as you'd like (at the resort you originally purchases it at). The purchase contract still holds, and anyone who says its stealing is incorrect.

That's all well and good, but the fact remains that for the CURRENT resort mugs, which say "good for the length of your stay" on them, CMs are still telling people that they are good indefinitely. And again, I can understand that CMs are human too, and just as prone to error as anyone. So it isn't inconceivable that a CM here and there will incorrectly tell someone that they can use the current mugs for perpetual refills. However, when two CMs both told me that, and many others on these boards have said that their CMs told them the same thing, then it becomes much harder to chalk that up to human error. When that many CMs are saying the same thing, I must begin to conlude that, the printed language on the mug notwithstanding, the defacto policy (which the CMs are apparently being told to tell guests) is that the current mugs are good for free refills on all future visits.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom