Resort Monorail Broke Down 2/26

River Roost

Original Poster
I know a monorail breaking down isn't anything new, been on two before. But this was the first time I got to see them bring out their "tug" to move it. I use the word tug because it looks like the one that's used to move locomotives around a yard, except it's on a monorail.

Got some pics of it happening, sorry I didn't have my camera this time and had to use my cell phone to take the pics. So please bear with the low quality.

I was leaving MK about 7:35pm tonight and noticed a large crowd of guests exiting from the entrance to the resort side of the monorail station. I found out one of the monorails was down. I decided to just walk back to the Contemporary Resort. About have way between the MK and the CR I noticed monorail blue sitting on the track and then spotted the tug rolling up to it.

02-26-06_1943.jpg

The next two pics show the tug attached to the monorail. There's a pole that's lowered and attached to a coupler on each side under the nose.

02-26-06_1946.jpg

02-26-06_1947.jpg

This last photo was from right underneath the train. Gives you a pretty good idea of the hook up.

02-26-06_1949.jpg

Next, one of the workers on the tug reached under the nose of the monorail and connected two lines back to the tug. They looked very similiar to the lines you would see on a semi truck attached to the trailer. Possibly air lines to release and control the brake system. Just guessing. :veryconfu

The tug then proceeded to haul monorail blue back to the Contemporary Resort to let the guests off. Yes, it was full of people.

I would imagine they ran it back to their garage in order to get the resort track back up and running.

drnilescrane

Great Picks!

As for the breakdown, I blame it on Bombardier. While I like the Mark VI's Overall Design Better to the Mark IV, the quality of construction just doesn't Compare.

SusanAnne

I was on the bus last night coming into the MK when they were pulling the monarail, it was pretty cool. Never saw anything like this before

BwanaBob

Nice catch, RT!!

(thread-drift: sorry I didn't p/u last night. I was still recovering from the AC the night before :D )

prberk

SusanAnne said:
I was on the bus last night coming into the MK when they were pulling the monarail, it was pretty cool. Never saw anything like this before

Did the bus driver point this out, or did you just happen to notice? Curious as to whether they try to ignore such things.

Paul

Mr.EPCOT

They actually did something that's never been done before last night, they actually towed Blue ALL THE WAY around the beam to let people off at each remaining stop, before taking it to Shop. A questionable decision, but interesting, nonetheless. It took about an hour.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom