Resort comparison question

bemusing

We are planning our next trip to Walt Disney World in December. Previously I have stayed at Pop Century, All Star Movies and Coronado Springs. Pop was plenty of fun, All Star Movies was a complete nightmare and Coronado Springs was delightful. I had intended to book at Coronado again but noticed that we are traveling in value season, and I can get a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge or Wilderness Lodge for $215 a night. I'm very tempted to splurge that tiny bit and experience a deluxe, so my question is to you all who might have stayed in a spectrum of rooms--is the deluxe really that much better of an experience than the moderate? For instance, we decided after staying at CS, we probably wouldn't go value resort again because the little differences made for a significantly better experience--the nicer bus queues, the peacefulness of the resort, the nicer store, the coffee pot (!) etc. So will a deluxe be the same kind of pleasurable increase, or do you think I should just save the extra $65 a night?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

happymom52003

I say try a Deluxe. Wilderness Lodge is awesome, and if you spend alot of time at MK the boat access alone makes the extra price worthwhile, in my opinion. Might as well try it while you have the chance! As long as we can afford it, it is where we are going to continue to stay.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You'll enjoy the deluxe. If you can afford it, go for it. Both of the options seem like you'd enjoy them (I love Coronado and Pop but hate Movies and my prefered Deluxes are AKL and WL).

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

My wife and I have stayed all over WDW property. We've been to every value and moderate and over half the deluxe resorts.

Yes there is a differece... and no there isn't.

Most of the deluxe resorts get you everything under one roof. All of them give you interior hallways and doors, all of them have some kind of balcony or patio. Most of them have really great theming with extra perks like specialty pools, waterslides, and other atmosphere enhancing elements. Several have really great restaurants, and extra transporation options than just buses.

But you won't necessarily get better Disney service. You won't necessarily get better bus service. It won't necessarily be quieter. You won't necessarily enjoy your time more in the parks just because you're at a deluxe resort.

I guess it comes down to how much time do you spend at the resort. If you're at the parks every single possible hour of your Disney vacation, it's not really worth it. If you want to take in the whole experience and spend a significant time exploring your resort and using its services, then yes it's worth it.

Given your two choices of Deluxe resorts, I'd lean towards Wilderness lodge. I'm guessing the $215/night room is a standard view. AKL is very beautiful, but you're really staying there for the animal view. The STD view room won't have that. You'll get to see the parking lot and the Africanized florida landscape around the parking lot. To me it doesn't fit with the theme. Wilderness logde standard rooms have a similar view, but the pine forest around WL still makes it feel like the pacific northwest. I perfer the decor and the pool theming at WL but that's personal preference. The only service difference is that WL has boat service to other resorts and MK.

Upvote 0

durangojim

We've stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and WL is one of our favorites tthe GF is the other). It is the best value IMO and the theming and atmosphereis fantastic. The boat to the MK is very convenient and romantic in the evening. Don't expect to be pampered but the WL can't be beat.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I say if you can swing it go for the deluxe. We really love the WL and have stayed there many times. We visited the AKL for the first time this past March and I think we would like to give that one a try also.

The WL is the least expensive, but also has the smallest rooms, but our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) have no problems with the space. If you intend on using the resort as more than "just a place to sleep" as we do, then splurge and enjoy. If you don't like it you can always go back to your favorite next time.

Upvote 0

maryt01

we stayed in akl. it was great, but didnot get to take advantage of the resort. wespent most of our time in the parks. i guess everyone has to try a deluxe ay least once.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

In my opinion, I think that spending the extra money to stay at one of the deluxe resorts is well worth it. Those are great choices, but I would also say go for the Wilderness Lodge. We have stayed there twice and loved both our experiences. The Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian are our favorite. We never stayed at the AKL only because it is further away from the Magic Kingdom and we tend to spend most of our time there because we have three young children. The boat ride from the WL to the Magic Kingdom is about 15- 20 min. and very peaceful. If you decide to stay at the WL I think you will be really happy with your choice. Oh, and if you get a chance, try to have a meal at the Whispering Canyon and be sure to ask your server for the ketsup! Have Fun :wave:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Depends on what you want to do and how much time you have to do it. Some of the delux resorts require a bus journey to get to certain parks while others you just hop on the monorail. We stayed at Coronado last Dec. and won't ever go back unless nothing else is available. The bus stops at that resort are total chaos during the holiday season, no organization. I'd opt to stay at the moderates and be a bit closer or go up to the delux like Cont., Poly or GF, again, its all a matter of tastes, how much time you have and how much you want to get done. Good luck. We will be there in mid Dec. this year!

Upvote 0

ryguy

Both are very nice. Great point about the standard view at AKL, only stay there if you have the Savanah view room. AKL is far away from most attractions, which can be a hassle. AKL has construction going on for the next few years, which could be bothersome. WL rooms have just be renovated which is alway a plus. Hope that helps.:wave:

Upvote 0

cratster15

i have stayed at both WL and AKL. there are a number of things that you need to consider along with whether to stay at a deluxe or moderate resort. One thing to consider is the difference in transporation btw WL and AKL. While you have a wider range of transportation at WL (boat and bus), you dont have to share your bus with any other resorts if you stay at AKL. Another thing to consider is what park do you like more. If you are a person who likes MK more than obviously WL is a better choice. If you really like AK, then AKL maybe be a better choice. I agree with everyone about its not worth staying at AKL unless you have a savannah view room as well. I would pick WL, but that may just be because i have stayed there more. :)

Upvote 0

elabron

Stay in a deluxe.......bigger beds, more space and more amenities.

The theming at both the AKL and WL are great.....both have grand and impressive lobbies.

Both have good restaurants.
I have never eaten at Artist Point at WL, but have tried Whispering Canyon....the food was good, but I found the atmosphere to be annonying. Of course, I had just driven 13 hours straight to get there.
Both Jiko and Boma at AKL are superb! Boma ranks in my top 3 at WDW and is always one of the highlights of our WDW vacation.

Pools?
Both pool areas are really nice and big.......I think that they just put a slide in at WL too.

Transporatation.
As mentioned before, WL has the H2O launch to MK, which is like an attraction itself.....particularly at night....very cool. :cool:
However, if you think you'll spend a lot of time at Animal Kingdom, the AKL is within spitting distance....okay....that was an exaggeration, but it is close.

I've stayed at all three resort categories, and have loved them all.......but, honestly, if you're planning on spending most of your vacation "on the go" and touring the parks, your best bet is the value.......But, if you think that you may want to take it easy for a couple of days, relax by the pool and enjoy some of the hidden treasures that some of the deluxe resorts offer, then go with AKL or WL.

Upvote 0

bemusing

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for such well thought, kind suggestions! You have managed to sway me to Wilderness lodge and I can't wait! Again, many many thanks!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

But you won't necessarily get better Disney service. You won't necessarily get better bus service. It won't necessarily be quieter. You won't necessarily enjoy your time more in the parks just because you're at a deluxe resort.

I guess it comes down to how much time do you spend at the resort. If you're at the parks every single possible hour of your Disney vacation, it's not really worth it. If you want to take in the whole experience and spend a significant time exploring your resort and using its services, then yes it's worth it.
I totally agree with you. When we started going to WDW, we stayed at the All Stars, this is back in 97, and it made sense to me that old adage, "Why spend alot of money on a room that your only going to sleep in"? And even though we are in DVC we still stay one night at a value, POP mostly. Then it's over to the Deluxe. Every so often we will have a time when we will go for a short stay outside of DVC, and we stay at POP. I don't go for specialties, I like the themeing, it adds to the the whole experience, and sorry to say each resort has it's own atmosphere.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Stay in a deluxe.......bigger beds, more space and more amenities.

The theming at both the AKL and WL are great.....both have grand and impressive lobbies.

Both have good restaurants.
I have never eaten at Artist Point at WL, but have tried Whispering Canyon....the food was good, but I found the atmosphere to be annonying. Of course, I had just driven 13 hours straight to get there.
Both Jiko and Boma at AKL are superb! Boma ranks in my top 3 at WDW and is always one of the highlights of our WDW vacation.

Pools?
Both pool areas are really nice and big.......I think that they just put a slide in at WL too.

Transporatation.
As mentioned before, WL has the H2O launch to MK, which is like an attraction itself.....particularly at night....very cool. :cool:
However, if you think you'll spend a lot of time at Animal Kingdom, the AKL is within spitting distance....okay....that was an exaggeration, but it is close.

I've stayed at all three resort categories, and have loved them all.......but, honestly, if you're planning on spending most of your vacation "on the go" and touring the parks, your best bet is the value.......But, if you think that you may want to take it easy for a couple of days, relax by the pool and enjoy some of the hidden treasures that some of the deluxe resorts offer, then go with AKL or WL.

The slide has been there, they just finished rehabbing the pool though. It was still closed when we were there in March.

There are 2 pools, the larger main pool with the slide (that my kids love) and a smaller quiet pool between the lodge and the Villas... also nice.

The WCC is loud, but thats part of its charm. :lol: Artist Point is a nice quiet restaurant, quite romantic.

Upvote 0

summergirl32

If you can afford the extra $65/night, go for it. You won't regret it no matter which resort you choose. They are both great. AKL is my personal favorite but as someone else mentioned there is construction there. This would bother me. If you do stay at WL, request a sixth floor room, you can actually lay in bed and see the fireworks over the castle. Artist Point is excellent and Whispering Canyon is a blast especially if you have kids. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

justducky78

There is definitely a difference. The only moderate we've stayed at is the Caribbean Beach, which was nice. But, since staying at the Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Dolphin - we can't go back!

Location alone is a good reason to choose a deluxe, but then you also have the awesome pools, better restaurants, nicer rooms - all under one roof, with transportation by bus, boat and/or monorail.

Splurge a little - I really think you'll enjoy the Wilderness Lodge - the location is great!

Upvote 0

ktink

Well I see you made your choice for WL! I hope you have a wonderful time. But I thought I'd put in my .02. We have gone back and forth between WL and AKL. We finally decided on AKL. MK is our favorite park and AK is next in line. We will spend alot of times at both parks. The reason we chose AKL is because the theme appeals to me more, the activities for the kids, the African storytelling at night, the night vision animal viewing, zero entry pool, and the dedicated bus system for the resort.

I have to disagree w/ some of the posters in the standard view rooms not being worth it at AKL. We booked a standard and it's my understanding that there are several viewing places throughout the resort.

I like the idea of the boat ride to MK and WL seems so magical and we will be staying there on our next trip. We really put alot of thought into our decision. When I read all of the wonderful posts on WL I have to remind myself that we chose AKL based on the reasons above.

I dont' think you could go wrong w/ either resort. We will be dining at WCC so that we can take time to take in the beauty of WL.

Upvote 0

mnmrmustard

Thank you all for such informative post on the subject. I had been going back and forth between AKL and WL for our family reunion in January.

We were leaning towards AKL, but between the gamble of not having a savannah-facing room and the biggie that they are doing construction there are enough to sway us back to WL for this trip.

Plus, I really like the thought of being able to see the fireworks if we can swing a 6th floor room :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom