Resort Choice

Debo

Original Poster
We have a reservation at the Animal Kingdom Lodge... Have never been to WDW. Been thinking about changing our reservation to 3 nights at Boardwalk Inn and 2 nights at AKL.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The biggest advantage of the Poly is it is a good bit closer to Magic Kingdom, but it also comes with a hefty price tag.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of the most unique Disney resorts with some of the best dining.

All things being equal I might take the Poly over Animal Kingdom Lodge, but the price difference between the two would have me at Animal Kingdom Lodge every time.

righttrack

The resorts are both wonderful but agree that the price differential doesn't justify it. You'll have a great time at either resort, both are beautiful. I actually prefer the theme of Animal Kingdom Lodge and am able to escape to it more easily than The Polynesian Village.

DisneyJoe

For us, while price is a definite concern, it also depends on the type of trip we are taking. If we plan on spending much time in the MK and/or Epcot, we go for Poly (again, if we have the budget for that trip) - but if we don't mind a more secluded trip and perhaps a little less time at the MK or won't mind the longer ride, we go for AKL.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'm staying at AKL in just a couple weeks! I'm so excited to try it out. I want to try the Poly too but I love the Epcot resorts and will be staying at the Yacht club later this year. I LOVE walking into the World Showcase :)

It's really going to come down to what you are looking for most. I personally don't think you will go wrong either way! AKL will be less expensive but a little farther away while the Poly you pay a premium to be so close to MK and have access to the monorail. Either way you will have a blast! :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not worth the hassle IMO. Disney does a good job of moving your bags for you, but you have to unpack and repack in the middle of your trip, which is a pain.
This^^^

Disney makes it as easy as it can be, but it has never been worth the hassle for me unless we were spending a good deal of time at the resort.

BoarderPhreak

Both resorts are pretty special in their own ways. There's an obvious price differential... As for splitting the stay, that's your call - but I don't think it's worthwhile.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
WRONG. They are both deluxe. AKL and WL are less expensive because they aren't as close to their nearest park like the monorail or Epcot resorts are.
To add, AKL savanna view rooms are priced like Epcot resorts or certain views at the monorail resorts. AKL standard view rooms are the ones that are more affordable, along the lines of Wilderness Lodge.

I think AKL standard view is the best value on property and I don't think it's particularly close.

SyracuseDisneyFan

I haven't stayed at the Polynesia (although I hope to someday). Having said that, you definitely can't go wrong with Animal Kingdom Lodge. The theme's awesome.

correcaminos

This would be a really hard decision for us as well. Honestly we love both Resorts almost equally. Polynesian gets the nod for being close to the Magic Kingdom, easy transportation, and just a really good feel. Animal Kingdom Lodge is amazing as well. The transportation isn't quite as nice as Polynesian, but it's still great. Honestly for this choice, I flip a coin and be happy at either.

hooch

AKL is gorgeous and very unique. Can't go wrong with either.
How many people? Rooms at AKL are considerably smaller than at Poly.
Since you've never been, I guess I'd vote for Poly b/c you'll be so close to the MK and can see the castle from around the resort, plus the monorail is a classic, as is the entire resort. have fun!

21stamps

My sister went to Disney last week. Her first trip since 2001, kids first trip ever.

I told her to stay at Poly.

They chose AKL.

Halfway through her trip she called me and said “The only thing that I would change next time is our resort. We will definitely stay on the monorail next trip. Should have listened to you.”

Don’t get me wrong, they enjoyed AKL, but I think the monorail resorts will always win out just because of ease of transportation, as well as the EWP and Fireworks views.

eliza61nyc

I just got back from AKL Tuesday. I would stay there again in a heart beat. Also I like the dining choices much much better. Had dinner at Jiko and it was hands down one of the best meals hands down and we had a savannah view. Watching the animals was amazing.

I don't have small kids so the monorail is not a big selling point

Plutomickey24

I haven't stayed at Poly. I used to want to, but I went there to check out the Christmas decorations and it didn't wow me like it used to. AKL is my favorite of all the resorts I've stayed at. The buses can be hit or miss but I just plan accordingly. Enjoy your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom