Resort Arcades, is it time for them to go?

PMC0849

Original Poster
I have this thought every once and awhile, when we are at WDW we always notice the arcades are always empty. We were also watching some of TheTimTracker resort tour videos on youtube recently, and every time he goes into the arcades they are empty. Maybe I'm wrong, but, it seems like these spaces could be better used for something else. What do we think, do you and your family visit the resort arcades still?

PeakSeason

I've seen them empty at times too, but on our most recent trip (end of February into early March) the one at Boardwalk Inn was packed every evening. We had several dinners over at Yacht and Beach Clubs and the arcade they share was bustling as well. Could be they get more use in the winter when the parks close early.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I would answer... probably...to an extent. Disney resorts are very formulaic. Food court, restaurant (mods and deluxe's), gift shop, lounge, pool bar, arcade, etc.. The arcade is a pop-culture mainstay from the 80's and early 90's. Yes, people still visit, yes it still serves some value...as minimal as it may be...same as a roller-rink. Doesn't need to be at every resort. Can see them being phased out over time.

WDWTank

I would answer... probably...to an extent. Disney resorts are very formulaic. Food court, restaurant (mods and deluxe's), gift shop, lounge, pool bar, arcade, etc.. The arcade is a pop-culture mainstay from the 80's and early 90's. Yes, people still visit, yes it still serves some value...as minimal as it may be...same as a roller-rink. Doesn't need to be at every resort. Can see them being phased out over time.
The arcades shouldn’t go because of today’s nostalgia for 80’s and 90’s pop culture. Have you seen Ready Player One? And Wreck it Ralph?

MuteSuperstar

The Fiesta Fun Center in its prime was one of my favorite places in WDW. We would go to the Contemporary just to visit it for a couple of hours every trip. It was truly an impressive spot. I think a retro arcade of that scale along with the mandatory ticket games (ugh) could still be quite viable. Pinball is enjoying a bit of a resurgence and I always appreciated that most of the Disney arcades have at least tried to keep 1 or 2 of them around.

WDWTank

The Fiesta Fun Center in its prime was one of my favorite places in WDW. We would go to the Contemporary just to visit it for a couple of hours every trip. It was truly an impressive spot. I think a retro arcade of that scale along with the mandatory ticket games (ugh) could still be quite viable. Pinball is enjoying a bit of a resurgence and I always appreciated that most of the Disney arcades have at least tried to keep 1 or 2 of them around.
I agree 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000%
They need to maintain their pins more too.

NiarrNDisney

Honestly I do agree with you especially since gaming has progressed to handheld devices and with the closure of Disney Quest the appeal seems to be going the way of the Dodo Bird.
However they might not be as popular as they once were but the Arcades do serve a purpose especially as a distraction during bad weather. My parents live in Florida and during Hurricane Irma they had to evacuate to the Orlando area so to keep up on the progress and get an idea of the happenings of the storm I watched videos on youtube of a few people who were visiting WDW at the time. Since the parks were closed due to the weather everyone staying in the resorts were asked to remain in their rooms for the majority of the time but during calmer moments they were allowed to use the resorts amenities and one of those that I noticed as a popular choice was the Arcades that were set to free play for the guests to use. I'm sure there are other reasons they continue to stay open one being Parents with teenagers wanting to have a date night could probably trust their teens to get themselves something to eat at the resorts CS restaurant and hang out at the Arcade and pool while the parents enjoy a night away from the kiddos.

nickys

Premium Member
My boys loved the BC one. And on our first stay at Bay Lake, younger DS spent every evening in the Contemporary arcade. He made some friends there one night and it became their meeting place. We still have the stack of cards!

The Contemporary arcade is now the new Kid's Club venue, leaving just the GF on the monorail.

I think it's a shame, even though I don't really use them. But if they think they can make more money using them for something else then they may start disappearing elsewhere. :(

WDWTank

My boys loved the BC one. And on our first stay at Bay Lake, younger DS spent every evening in the Contemporary arcade. He made some friends there one night and it became their meeting place. We still have the stack of cards!

The Contemporary arcade is now the new Kid's Club venue, leaving just the GF on the monorail.

I think it's a shame, even though I don't really use them. But if they think they can make more money using them for something else then they may start disappearing elsewhere. :(
The Contemporary arcade closed?

JIMINYCR

Ive never seen a huge crowd in the arcades unless the weathers bad. I think when DS was young we would visit the resort arcade probably only once or twice a trip. They do serve a purpose and must make enough of a profit for Disney to keep them running in the resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom