News Reservations only Restaurants @EPCOT

ImperfectPixie

Don’t want to derail the thread to much but here goes.
I have no problem with people wanting walk ups, I have done it on occasion, usually get shot down but I mostly have reservations for 90% of my trip.
my problem is, there should be another stand, or line at each restaurant for walk ups and the other for adr’s already made. Back in November we waited from 5 minutes, no big deal to 20 minutes just trying to get to the stand to say we were there and ready. At Via Napoli, there was 9 people in front of us. Yes we counted because we wanted to see if people were being turned away as a walk up. 7 out of the 9 were looking for walk up. As I said, no big deal but when they are told no, they plead that something should be done. Added to our wait and everyone else’s wait just trying to get tables. Twenty minutes just to get to the stand is a bit much. At one point for one family, they had the manager and 2 employees talking with them trying to explain.
I get it, your family is hungry but please, if it’s a no for a table just move on the the next place.
Agreed 1000%. Makes me crazy that people who did the planning like Disney wants them to have to wait extra. Or maybe a computerized kiosk where you can check in just by scanning your band? I'd rather do that than waste so much time behind people who aren't getting a table anyway.

Tony the Tigger

I have no problem with people wanting walk ups, I have done it on occasion, usually get shot down but I mostly have reservations for 90% of my trip.
my problem is, there should be another stand, or line at each restaurant for walk ups and the other for adr’s already made. Back in November we waited from 5 minutes, no big deal to 20 minutes just trying to get to the stand to say we were there and ready. At Via Napoli, there was 9 people in front of us. Yes we counted because we wanted to see if people were being turned away as a walk up. 7 out of the 9 were looking for walk up. As I said, no big deal but when they are told no, they plead that something should be done. Added to our wait and everyone else’s wait just trying to get tables. Twenty minutes just to get to the stand is a bit much. At one point for one family, they had the manager and 2 employees talking with them trying to explain.
I get it, your family is hungry but please, if it’s a no for a table just move on the the next place.

That's just plain old poor management on the part of WDW, with a healthy dose of self-centeredness on the part of the guest. The CM should ask the person to step aside until they have an answer or their table is ready. The guest should know that without being asked. I've done walk-up plenty of times, but never stood in front of other people waiting.

MaryJaneP

So would it be fair to say, in response to OP's original post that

1. No, it is not a policy at ALL WDW TS restaurants to refuse walkups when ALL capacity is being used (this could include empty tables unused because staff to serve these tables is not available). Most may, but ALL is not probable and it is not a policy for ALL restaurants.
2. Yes, everyone that wants to provide feedback to WDW regarding walkup availability (or inavailability, as experienced) should send such feedback directly to WDW so they know how you feel.

TrojanUSC

This is frustrating but I don't think two queues would solve the issue. Most guests won't pay attention to it and it'll just create more chaos. What they should be doing is when the line gets longer than 5-6 people, a CM should check with everyone in the queue to ensure they have a reservation.

DisneyDebRob

This is frustrating but I don't think two queues would solve the issue. Most guests won't pay attention to it and it'll just create more chaos. What they should be doing is when the line gets longer than 5-6 people, a CM should check with everyone in the queue to ensure they have a reservation.
That would work also. Anything would be better then it is now.

Hank Hill

This is a big issue at FP lines. People early, or insist they have a FP, or don’t speak English and just scan again and again trying to get it to change, just stand there blocking others from entering. The CM can’t do a whole lot to make them move if they won’t. Half the time those people just get let in to get things moving.

it is crazy that I see it so much, there needs to be a better system of moving these people out of the way. Same with ADRs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is a big issue at FP lines. People early, or insist they have a FP, or don’t speak English and just scan again and again trying to get it to change, just stand there blocking others from entering. The CM can’t do a whole lot to make them move if they won’t. Half the time those people just get let in to get things moving.

it is crazy that I see it so much, there needs to be a better system of moving these people out of the way. Same with ADRs.

There is always someone blocking the FP entrance to FoP.

Always.

unmitigated disaster

That's just plain old poor management on the part of WDW, with a healthy dose of self-centeredness on the part of the guest. The CM should ask the person to step aside until they have an answer or their table is ready. The guest should know that without being asked. I've done walk-up plenty of times, but never stood in front of other people waiting.
To be fair, though, I've seen people pull similar stunts at local restaurants and when we're traveling to non-Disney places. Our babies are starving! You can get us in now, not in 2 hours, right? What do you mean NO?!? Get me your manager!!!!

Animaniac93-98

Since when? We just made reservations over the phone a couple of weeks ago.

It's the official policy as of October 11 2019 that dining reservations are made online. That doesn't mean you'll never be able to over the phone, but Disney is now encouraging online only bookings. From the official website:

"For assistance with your Walt Disney World vacation, including resort/package bookings and tickets, please call (407) 939-5277.
For Walt Disney World dining, please book your reservation online."

And from the Park's Blog:

"Beginning today, due to their overwhelming popularity, the My Disney Experience app and DisneyWorld.com will become the preferred home for booking and modifying table service dining reservations."

MickeyLuv'r

my problem is, there should be another stand, or line at each restaurant for walk ups and the other for adr’s already made. Back in November we waited from 5 minutes, no big deal to 20 minutes just trying to get to the stand to say we were there and ready. At Via Napoli, there was 9 people in front of us. Yes we counted because we wanted to see if people were being turned away as a walk up. 7 out of the 9 were looking for walk up. As I said, no big deal but when they are told no, they plead that something should be done.

I mostly agree with the gist of your post. I'm generally not a fan of people who hold up lines.

But in this case, I very much feel Disney should do something.

Disney's approach to providing dining is a bit like the airlines' approach to providing comfortable space these days.

In short, the parks don't provide enough TS dining. Instead of adding more dining, they've keep squeezing more people into rushed dining, eating at off times, and jacking the prices crazy-high.

Now, of all the parks, Epcot offers the most (diverse) dining. People without reservations can choose from a wide array of QS options in Epcot. MK, on the other hand, has a severe shortage of dining. Further, the QS in MK all offer very similar menus. HS also has a severe lack of options.

Much of the QS dining WDW offers, is stuck in the 1980's.

I would LOVE to see more options like Blaze. I don't mean pizza per say, I mean the fast-casual style offered at Blaze.

MinnieWaffles

If you don't like what park QS places offer and can't get a reservation then you either go offsite and eat, or you bring in a sandwich.

Jon81uk

If you travel with kids and you care about their diet, you don't just go to quick service places for three meals per day.
It is just as easy to find healthy options at quick service as it is at table service.
Eating at Sci-Fi Dine-in and the Plaza Inn and you are still getting a lot of fries.
Go to Pecos Bills and then Tangerine Café and you avoid fries altogether.

There are good table service places and good quick service places.

Jon81uk

Further, the QS in MK all offer very similar menus. HS also has a severe lack of options.
Out of all the parks its Hollywood Studios that has the most repetition for quick service.
MK isn't too bad.
Burger, ribs etc - Cosmic Ray
Pizza - Pinnoccio
French(-ish) - Be our Guest
Tex-Mex - Pecos Bills
Seafood and fried food - Colombia House

There are a few other places but the main ones are fairly diverse.

At Hollywood studios however there are a lot more places serving pizza and burgers.

MickeyLuv'r

Out of all the parks its Hollywood Studios that has the most repetition for quick service.
MK isn't too bad.
Burger, ribs etc - Cosmic Ray
Pizza - Pinnoccio
French(-ish) - Be our Guest
Tex-Mex - Pecos Bills
Seafood and fried food - Colombia House

There are a few other places but the main ones are fairly diverse.

At Hollywood studios however there are a lot more places serving pizza and burgers.

Depends on your definition of diverse, I suppose. Pizza, burgers, nachos and fries aren't my definition of diverse; they are standard fast foods. Be our Guest is a little unique, but BOG is reservation only.

I agree HS needs more diversity, but it now is at least as diverse as MK.

Catalina Eddies is listed as an "American" Menu (WDW website), but offers only pizza and Caesar salad.
ABC Commissary offers: burgers, ribs, fried seafood, a "Mediterranean" salad (pepperoncini, Kalamata olives, feta, hummus).
Backlot Express offers: a Cuban sandwich, a "Southwest" salad, and a plant-based "Tatoonine Two Suns Hummus" dish (hummus, plant "meat", cucumber, sesame, Za'atar)
Docking Bay 7 has: ribs, pot roast, fried chicken, a shrimp/noodle salad, Kefta, Pasta w/plant based "meat" tomato meat sauce, and a chicken salad with quinoa/pumpkin seeds/green curry.
Ronto Roasters offers turkey jerky, a roasted pork/sausage/slaw wrap, a chicken/cucumber/yogurt/feta pesto wrap, and a turkey jerky/plantain/pork rinds/rice cracker/blue potato chip sampler.
Woody's has a BBQ brisket/cheddar sandwich and tomato basil soup
HS also has the new blue and green milk stand.

MickeyLuv'r

So would it be fair to say, in response to OP's original post that

1. No, it is not a policy at ALL WDW TS restaurants to refuse walkups when ALL capacity is being used (this could include empty tables unused because staff to serve these tables is not available). Most may, but ALL is not probable and it is not a policy for ALL restaurants.
2. Yes, everyone that wants to provide feedback to WDW regarding walkup availability (or inavailability, as experienced) should send such feedback directly to WDW so they know how you feel.

Sure, but an aspect...that maybe something hasn't been clarified enough in this thread is that WDW has a way of being inconsistent/dishonest that sometimes veers into gaslighting.

I've encountered many times where either WDW changes a policy, or you get a CM that doesn't know how to do something, and they just make something up.

Instead of saying, "we no longer do it that way," or "I don't know how to do that," they will sometimes try to say it has never been done that way, or it can't be done. In actuality, if you then ask a more senior staff member the same exact question, they have no problem accommodating you.

Disney's phone CM's are notorious for such habits.

I once had a very funny conversation when trying to book what was then called a, "Tower building, Bay Lake view" room at the Contemporary. It was almost like that old Abbott and Costello "Who's on First" skit. The CM was convinced I was trying to book a room in the Bay Lake Tower DVC hotel next door.

Ticketing CM's are also notorious for acting this way. Ask 5 CM's the cost of converting your ticket into an AP, and you are almost certain to get 5 different answers/prices, if you are willing to waste that much of your time.

This has been a WDW problem for many years. as said earlier, CM's are inconsistent. Many are super, and will still go above an beyond, but some don't know what to do at all. Often it is best just to ask another CM. Sometimes one does have to ask for a manager.

A second aspect to this subject- and all similar ones - is that some posters take a position along the lines of, "I've never seen X happen at WDW, so it couldn't possibly have happened to anyone else." Sigh.

Jon81uk

Depends on your definition of diverse, I suppose. Pizza, burgers, nachos and fries aren't my definition of diverse; they are standard fast foods. Be our Guest is a little unique, but BOG is reservation only.

I agree HS needs more diversity, but it now is at least as diverse as MK.

Catalina Eddies is listed as an "American" Menu (WDW website), but offers only pizza and Caesar salad.
ABC Commissary offers: burgers, ribs, fried seafood, a "Mediterranean" salad (pepperoncini, Kalamata olives, feta, hummus).
Backlot Express offers: a Cuban sandwich, a "Southwest" salad, and a plant-based "Tatoonine Two Suns Hummus" dish (hummus, plant "meat", cucumber, sesame, Za'atar)
Docking Bay 7 has: ribs, pot roast, fried chicken, a shrimp/noodle salad, Kefta, Pasta w/plant based "meat" tomato meat sauce, and a chicken salad with quinoa/pumpkin seeds/green curry.
Ronto Roasters offers turkey jerky, a roasted pork/sausage/slaw wrap, a chicken/cucumber/yogurt/feta pesto wrap, and a turkey jerky/plantain/pork rinds/rice cracker/blue potato chip sampler.
Woody's has a BBQ brisket/cheddar sandwich and tomato basil soup
HS also has the new blue and green milk stand.
But excluding Star Wars the menus all feel more generic at DHS. At least at MK it feels clearer that Pecos is all Tex Mex and Cosmic Ray mainly burgers. Whereas at DHS everywhere feels like it does a bit of everything but nothing well?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But excluding Star Wars the menus all feel more generic at DHS. At least at MK it feels clearer that Pecos is all Tex Mex and Cosmic Ray mainly burgers. Whereas at DHS everywhere feels like it does a bit of everything but nothing well?

Fairfax isn't on the list and offers a Tex Mex menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom