Reservation system here to stay? Update from Josh D'Amaro

EPCOT-O.G.

Speaking of Josh... did anyone else find the rest of the presentation yesterday (from what’s been gleaned from reports) a little odd? I feel like there had been some behind-the-scenes cajoling by Disney to get Disneyland opened again. It seems that’s been unsuccessful so this amounted to a public plea to get pressure on the governor to speed things along and give them the green light.

It seems like the heavy lifting has fallen on D’Amaro to do this, which is odd when you consider Iger is on the governor’s coronavirus business task force.

dreday3

A lot of people like to hop to Epcot for dinner. That won’t work so well if you can’t be sure you’ll get into Epcot.

But the reservation system could be updated to allow people to book a second park, either in advance or on the day.

That's why I said be flexible. And if hopping is limited, then we can assume capacity is still limited, which would make same day reservations much easier, as they are now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, since you can't park hop with PH tickets, is it now possible to use two days off a multi-day pass to enter two parks on one day?

Has anyone tried it?

Dan Deesnee

Original Poster
It still really hurts your ability to be spontaneous and switch up where you're going on the fly.

I don't think the average guest wants to have to schedule every aspect of their trip. Most of my friends who have gone on their 1-2 trips they might ever do in their lifetimes have complained about the complexity of planning a trip. If this reservation system sticks around they will loose a good number of that casual crowd who just doesn't want to deal with it. And maybe Disney is okay with that...shame if so. My family was casual when I was young, we went two times. And I've been a lifelong fan ever since...

Ldno

It still really hurts your ability to be spontaneous and switch up where you're going on the fly.

I don't think the average guest wants to have to schedule every aspect of their trip. Most of my friends who have gone on their 1-2 trips they might ever do in their lifetimes have complained about the complexity of planning a trip. If this reservation system sticks around they will loose a good number of that casual crowd who just doesn't want to deal with it. And maybe Disney is okay with that...shame if so. My family was casual when I was young, we went two times. And I've been a lifelong fan ever since...
It was worse with the old system with FP+ in place. You had to plan your trip out 6 months in advance with meticulously knowing when to eat, where you had to be, etc 60 days with kids for example.

I kid you not the only aspect of this trip I am stressing about is not finding a reservation for Be our guest late in the evening. The latest I got was 4:50 and I want close to 6:05-6:50, Why? Because time is money at the park especially when dining in can take up two hours so you never know, with no fireworks it’s a no brainer but still it kind of sucks not being able to find the right time, but it’s minor. Low key I have TWO be our guests for the same day one at 12:50 and one at 4:50 which will change once it gets close to the day of traveling because I have to see what will work for me And my kids! Make no mistake going on this trip to disney world is less stress full than it was seven months ago, because of the planing the trip to the T. I can be casual in Disneyland and Universal Studios(both coasts) but not Walt Disney World. I embrace the one park a day, no fast passes so we will see.

havoc315

Once at full capacity, I suspect that 98% of the time -- except for Christmas and Easter, every park will have same-day reservations available. So I wouldn't worry about losing the casual crowd.

_caleb

I think this is what’s behind the Genie system. Basically, the app will plan out your trip itinerary for you (Park reservations, ADRs, Fastpass, etc.) based on your preferences but also to balance out crowds.

If your itinerary has you scheduled for ADRs at Be Our Guest but your party changes it’s minds and wants eat at the resort, Genie will show you what’s available (this is not too different than what people currently do, but manually by hunting through options on MDE. But imagine Genie showing special last minute offers to entice your party to give up your ADR for BoG in favor of a 20% discount somewhere else? The dynamic adjustments would make you feel like you have legitimate options.

If it works correctly (and that’s a HUGE “if”), trips will feel much more casual than they currently do.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I think this is what’s behind the Genie system. Basically, the app will plan out your trip itinerary for you (Park reservations, ADRs, Fastpass, etc.) based on your preferences but also to balance out crowds.

If your itinerary has you scheduled for ADRs at Be Our Guest but your party changes it’s minds and wants eat at the resort, Genie will show you what’s available (this is not too different than what people currently do, but manually by hunting through options on MDE. But imagine Genie showing special last minute offers to entice your party to give up your ADR for BoG in favor of a 20% discount somewhere else? The dynamic adjustments would make you feel like you have legitimate options.

If it works correctly (and that’s a HUGE “if”), trips will feel much more casual than they currently do.
Any idea on when Genie will be arriving?

_caleb

Any idea on when Genie will be arriving?
It was announced at last year’s D23 for a 2020 launch, but they’ve been pretty silent about it recently. I would imagine that even if the app is ready, they won’t launch it while numbers are down and the app isn’t needed as much. Also, they seem to be holding on to “big“ announcements (things they can market and promote) to spread those out over time for maximum PR benefit, so it could be a while before we see it rolled out.

DisneyCane

I think the issue with allowing park hopping via a second (or third or fourth) same day reservation when capacity is available is that I don't see how you can sell park hoppers if there is no guarantee of being able to do it. Therefore, the only people that could be allowed to hop are passholders. With the exception of dining at Epcot, there is no additional revenue to make them want to enable it.

Ldno

The genie was supposed to be available for the 50th anniversary Supposedly, I remember they said late 2020, but nothing so far and everything’s been delayed and changed up, heck there was no d23 this year so who knows.

Like everything covid/disney related changes in a second so We never know at this rate. The Disney world app quietly changed their name to My Disney Experience on the website (App Store is still Disney World) so who knows. The Genie WAS promising but I don‘t think it had a reservation system in place like they do know and for sure was dependent on FP+

_caleb

I think the issue with allowing park hopping via a second (or third or fourth) same day reservation when capacity is available is that I don't see how you can sell park hoppers if there is no guarantee of being able to do it. Therefore, the only people that could be allowed to hop are passholders. With the exception of dining at Epcot, there is no additional revenue to make them want to enable it.
I think park hopping will resume eventually, but with reservations. So your ticket will be valid for a certain window of time at the park of your choosing, but then you will have a window for the second (or third) parks later in the day. There would still be some flexibility here, as the App- in an effort to balance out crowds- will try to entice you to change your plans and go somewhere on property that has relatively low wait times.

Genie: "You're all set for your hop over to Epcot this evening, but you might want to consider dinner with Mushu at the Yak and Yeti! Tell them Genie sent you and get 20% off for your entire purchase!"

Djsfantasi

As long as the system can’t be gamed, I‘m fine with reservations. But when the Suburban Sports Family locks up more reservations than they need just to keep their options open, it’s a problem.
You can’t make a reservation unless you have a confirmed ticket. Thus, for the Suburban Sports Family to lock up more reservations that they need, they would have to pay for that many park tickets. Unlikely.

_caleb

You can’t make a reservation unless you have a confirmed ticket. Thus, for the Suburban Sports Family to lock up more reservations that they need, they would have to pay for that many park tickets. Unlikely.
Unless they can cancel or reschedule those tickets for a refund with no penalty.

Djsfantasi

Unless they can cancel or reschedule those tickets for a refund with no penalty.
If I understand your response, cancelling those tickets also cancels the park reservation. Hence, there is no benefit to this hack! And there may be a cost of interest on the purchase depending on when the cancellation hits your account. From the banks point of view, you had the benefit of their money for a period of time which exceeded any grace period. Ka ching.

nickys

Premium Member
If I understand your response, cancelling those tickets also cancels the park reservation. Hence, there is no benefit to this hack! And there may be a cost of interest on the purchase depending on when the cancellation hits your account. From the banks point of view, you had the benefit of their money for a period of time which exceeded any grace period. Ka ching.
Well it could allow them to hedge their bets as to when they actually visit the parks perhaps? 🤷‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom