Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

jcraycraft

Original Poster
http://www.local6.com/news/5005494/detail.html

Report: Disney Rejects New Height Limit For Rides

POSTED: 7:13 am EDT September 22, 2005
UPDATED: 7:17 am EDT September 22, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Disney officials rejected a request for tougher thrill-ride height restrictions proposed by the parents of a 4-year-old Pennsylvania boy who died after passing out on Epcot's "Mission: Space" ride, according to the family's attorney.

A 4-year-old dies after passing out on Disney's Mission: Space attraction at the Epcot theme park in Central Florida.

Moses and Agnes Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pa., proposed raising the bar from 44 to 51 inches in a letter their attorney sent to Disney officials last month.

Disney rejected the restrictions because the boy's death has not been conclusively linked to the ride, according to correspondence the Bamuwamyes' attorney provided to the Orlando Sentinel.

"Simply to make a change on no informed basis would be false solace to those affected and of no benefit to anyone else," wrote Margaret C. Giacalone, a member of Disney's legal staff. "Further, the minimum height requirement was carefully considered, analyzed and established on the basis of a variety of factors."

Daudi Bamuwamye was 2 inches taller than the simulated spaceship ride's 44-inch height requirement. The cause of the boy's June 13 death remains under investigation.

"We know of no reason to conclude or infer any connection between the Mission: Space ride and the incident," Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said Wednesday.

The Mission: Space ride is so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Robert A. Samartin, the Bamuwamyes' Tampa attorney, told the newspaper Wednesday that the theme park should not permit young children on rides that cause some adults to pass out or vomit without proving their safety.

he thrust of it is, this is really not appropriate for 4- and 5-year-old kids. This is not the Tea Cups or Dumbo ride," he said, referring to rides in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

Two adults in poor health and a 12-year-old Virginia girl have died this year at Walt Disney World, out of the millions who visit the park each year.

A 16-year-old British girl who suffered cardiac arrest July 12 after riding the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at the park was still in critical condition when she was flown home by air ambulance last month.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree with the Disney spokesperson. There is no point in changing a height restriction when there is no evidence that Mission Space was the cause of the death.

wannab@dis

There was no way that Disney would change the height restrictions at their request. I can just see it now... Lawyer would get up in a courtroom and say 'Even Disney could see the problem with this ride. They increased the height after my client's son passed away.'

bgraham34

First off the only reason that boy died was becuase of the stupidity of the parents. I am sorry they lost their child but common sense lacks in a lot of people. Do they see the signs. Use the brain that god gave you and think for once.

Next I think there should be higher height restrictions on some rides.

But maybe, with the unfortunity stupidity of some people, we should sign waivers before riding everything. Wouldn't that be so much better. :(

brich

bgraham34 said:
First off the only reason that boy died was becuase of the stupidity of the parents. I am sorry they lost their child but common sense lacks in a lot of people. Do they see the signs. Use the brain that god gave you and think for once.

Next I think there should be higher height restrictions on some rides.

But maybe, with the unfortunity stupidity of some people, we should sign waivers before riding everything. Wouldn't that be so much better. :(
Can you explain how these parents were "stupid"?
As far as I know, there were no warning signs indicating that this child would be at risk on this ride. As far as I know, the ride has yet to be declared the cause of death. Your post is a little harsh with absolutely no basis. :rolleyes:

wannab@dis

brich said:
As far as I know, there were no warning signs indicating that this child would be at risk on this ride. As far as I know, the ride has yet to be declared the cause of death. Your post is a little harsh with absolutely no basis. :rolleyes:

Agreed!

timoteo

brich said:

Agreed

pacochran

I don't know if I would use stupid, but a little more common sense, as a parent of a 10 year old and an 8 year old, I know my self I would question weither a four year old should go on the ride, in fact I know that I wouldn't let my four year old on the ride even though he did meet the height requirement. When we went last October I even gave thought of not allowing my 7 year old on the ride but considering all the factors his size being one, but there were other factors, I figured that it was alright for him to go on the ride.

You can't take what they (Disney) says at face value, (what I mean is that if Disney says you can go on this ride because your 44" it's ok), the parents need to think about it and make the final decision.

Just my thoughts.

brich

pacochran said:
I don't know if I would use stupid, but a little more common sense, as a parent of a 10 year old and an 8 year old, I know my self I would question weither a four year old should go on the ride, in fact I know that I wouldn't let my four year old on the ride even though he did meet the height requirement. When we went last October I even gave thought of not allowing my 7 year old on the ride but considering all the factors his size being one, but there were other factors, I figured that it was alright for him to go on the ride.

You can't take what they (Disney) says at face value, (what I mean is that if Disney says you can go on this ride because your 44" it's ok), the parents need to think about it and make the final decision.

Just my thoughts.
Good points. But what is common sense? One can only make sound judgements based on information they are given. It's easy for any member on this board to make a sensible decision on this ride because many of us have been on and can give better information than just a warning sign. I think these parents made a sound and respectable decision to let their child ride. Believe it or not, many people assume because it's Disney, it's for kids. A bad misconception but one the less informed see as true. So yes, I agree common sense is the best way to assess a decision on what to let your child ride. But the common sense can only be contrived from information and knowledge that you have. I know the ride. My common sense is that my 6 year old will not ride it. Not because I feel it is an unsafe ride but rather my common sense tells me he will not feel to hot during and after the ride. I can come to this decision because I have been on the ride and I know my son... :)

kellydisney

I would never allow my 4 year old to ride M:S. It makes me sick. I'm also going to question whether or not he/she will ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. I would advise any adult, upon seeing those signs, to ride by themselves first to test it out and see if it's appropriate for a child. I agree that it has something to do with common sense. Not that these parents did anything wrong, because the height restrictions did imply that he could go on the ride, I just, when I'm a parent, am going to protect my children and I don't think these rides are appropriate for a 4 year old.

wannab@dis

TAC said:
Agreed. However, with the 17 (?) different warning signs, if you did initially decide to let your 4 year old ride, and as you are moving through the queue, and you continually see warning signs about motion sickness, (etc ?), wouldn't you start to become a little concerned ?

uh, yeah! I was getting concerned about myself! Half the thrill of M:S is enduring the warnings before the ride. :lol:

Magister

wdwmagic said:
I agree with the Disney spokesperson. There is no point in changing a height restriction when there is no evidence that Mission Space was the cause of the death.

Yes there was evidence, he was on the ride immediately before his death.

Evidence can show lots of things, there can be evidence that I am a space alien typing...

Becareful about saying no evidence... Maybe we can say, there is no conclusive scientific proof it caused his death, but evidence can be anything...

Bluewaves

Well common sense has left this world of let sue everyone. Do they even know why this kid died yet??? I've seen people get violently ill at the little parks at the shore riding the tilt a whirl. Would you put a 4 yr old on that?? Would you put a 4 yr old on a mega coaster? Probably not. The same goes for this ride. No ride I have ever seen has a ride height restriction of 51 inches. Thats just crazy. Just becasue someone is tall enough doesn't mean they should go on a ride. Use some common sense people.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Magister said:
Yes there was evidence, he was on the ride immediately before his death.

Evidence can show lots of things, there can be evidence that I am a space alien typing...

Becareful about saying no evidence... Maybe we can say, there is no conclusive scientific proof it caused his death, but evidence can be anything...
So by that logic if I die sitting on my couch then there is evidence that the couch caused my death. There was no evidence found in the autopsy that the ride had anything to do with the child's death in fact the autopsy done could not even determine the cause of death.

mrtoad

I do not think Disney should change the height restictions either. If it were not safe there would have been more deaths among the millions who have be on it.

That being said, I do think the attraction was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak in causing his death. But I also think the same thing could have happened if he were jumping up and down on his bed or running around like a madman the way kids do. I think there was something most likely wrong with him and at that moment any kind of stress could have caused it.

I feel terrible for the boy and his family but I don't see how Disney can be at fault one bit.

brich

TAC said:
Agreed. However, with the 17 (?) different warning signs, if you did initially decide to let your 4 year old ride, and as you are moving through the queue, and you continually see warning signs about motion sickness, (etc ?), wouldn't you start to become a little concerned ?
I think it's 18 actually... :lookaroun
I see what your saying. With the preconceived notion that Disney is for kids, I'm sure their perception of the motion sickness warnings and such as being just like any of the other warnings for other rides. I'm not sure, maybe someone can answer this. Are there any warnings on M:S that are not found on any other rides? My opinion of the ride is biased because I've been on it. The parents had not been on it. The child met the requirements. The warnings of motion sickness in no way can be associated with potential death. The ride does not warn that it can cause death, therefore, the most these parents may have been concerned about is the little guy hurling. They had no reason to suspect their child had any pre-existing conditions that would be effected by the ride, nevermind the thought the this ride could lead to death... So the additional warnings were just that. Additional warnings. Had the same meaning to them I imagine... :)

wannab@dis

brich said:
I see what your saying. With the preconceived notion that Disney is for kids, I'm sure their perception of the motion sickness warnings and such as being just like any of the other warnings for other rides. I'm not sure, maybe someone can answer this. Are there any warnings on M:S that are not found on any other rides? My opinion of the ride is biased because I've been on it. The parents had not been on it. The child met the requirements. The warnings of motion sickness in no way can be associated with potential death. The ride does not warn that it can cause death, therefore, the most these parents may have been concerned about is the little guy hurling. They had no reason to suspect their child had any pre-existing conditions that would be effected by the ride, nevermind the thought the this ride could lead to death... So the additional warnings were just that. Additional warnings. Had the same meaning to them I imagine... :)

I don't agree. The first time I rode it, all the warnings actually freaked me outa little. That is NOT the same as any other ride on the property.

mrtoad

The thing is you can't go into everything thinking it could kill you but most things could for one reason or another. You don't see labels on cars, saying if you hit another car you could be killed. Someone could die just as easily on the Haunted Mansion if they were scared enough and it made their heart race so much. That is if their heart would fail from such stress. That stress can be brought on by what ever fear you might have. At least that is what I believe.

brich said:

righttrack

The ride's warnings bring most of the thrills. That said, I agree with the person who said, parents should preview rides themselves first, before putting their smaller children on them. We've done this before and its the best method.

As for the poor child who died, I am saddened by that, and I can't say who is to blame, but its unfortunate. Nobody wanted that to happen. I don't think it was caused by the age/size of the child and the ride. I understand Disney's position on holding raising the height. Restrictions based on height have to make sense, because you are blindly excluding a lot of people.

brich

wannab@dis said:
I don't agree. The first time I rode it, all the warnings actually freaked me outa little. That is NOT the same as any other ride on the property.
Interesting. You see, that was "your" perception. I wasn't freaked out by the warnings. To me it was a new ride with the "same" pregnant, bad back, neck injuries, motion sickness warnings only now they had them on video screens and had CMs rehashing them. A flight attendant doesn't freak me out when she shows me how to save my a** in case the plane goes down. But if she did, then maybe "my" common sense would tell me not to let my child fly. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom