News Reopening Walt Disney World - an official statement

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and will rides be at capacity too? Social distancing on rides and cues will also slow things down. Not worth it. Wouldn’t surprise me if Disney finds a way to spike their prices during this opening phase time to filter out potential crowds.

They can't rely on raising prices to reduce crowds because there just may be large crowds that accept the higher cost and then you can't have enough distancing with a large crowd.

Like many theme parks that are starting to open within the next few weeks (Shanghai Disney, Six Flags), crowds will be limited by limiting dated tickets and passholders having to schedule a visit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

ThatMouse

The announcement is the first official word that Disney will in fact open partially, as opposed to waiting until next year to open fully. What I'm waiting for is a passholder announcement. I feel like prepayers are being brushed under the rug.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
The announcement is the first official word that Disney will in fact open partially, as opposed to waiting until next year to open fully. What I'm waiting for is a passholder announcement. I feel like prepayers are being brushed under the rug.
Sometimes no news is good news?
trying to stay positive here ;)

robhedin

Why do you think that?

They've already told us that passes will be extended for the time the parks are closed. Shanghai DL is further additionally extending passes for the time the parks are operating on restrictions. I'd assume the domestic parks would do something similar. (although nothing has been said yet).

Lyman

One thing to note, Shanghai guests are likely being tracked through ID as to their prior travels and health issues. That's probably why Disney will be doing questionnaires and medical screenings in domestic resorts, as we do not track citizen movement in the United States (unless you're just a really interesting person).

They have the capability to track you. The magic band has a transmitter in it. That's how you can get a picture of yourself on a ride. All they have to do is add receivers throughout the parks. Who knows they have been there all along.

peter11435

They have the capability to track you. The magic band has a transmitter in it. That's how you can get a picture of yourself on a ride. All they have to do is add receivers throughout the parks. Who knows they have been there all along.
The issue is not while at WDW. The point is that unlike China there’s no way to track where you’ve been before and after.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's only if you have a Magic Band (you don't have to have one, the plastic card-ticket has a passive RFID), and only if the MB has a working battery. When the battery goes, the MB still works passively.

Passively RFID requires the chip to be touching or almost touching a sensor. The RFID that's battery operated sends out a signal that can be tracked as a small distance (enough for automatic cameras).

I don't know if WDW ever installed the infrastructure to track all active MBs everywhere in the park. You'd need a lot of sensors everywhere.

Though, in the new COVID regime, WDW could *possibly* require everyone to have an MDE account and an active MB.

danv3

Really? Why do you think that?

I was expecting the ferry-- while it does hold more people they are open to the outside, and if they ran all three they could limit the number of people per ferry.

If they're concerned with spreading things, people touch a LOT of stuff in the buses and are still pretty close together. I'd think the monorails would be not much different than busses.

Ferry seems considerably safer from an infection prevention perspective being outside/open to the air.

Touchdown

Again, wish to point out something I hope is obvious, SDL is a single day attraction near a large city; WDW is a vacation destination people stay for multiple days at, the way they decide who gets to come to the parks and if people are willing to risk a plane trip to get there is going to be a much bigger administrative headache.

Seanual757

I found it interesting that when hearing Bob Chapek speak about reopening, his phrase was repeated and well crafted. "We do not have a plan for reopening THAT WE CAN SHARE AT THIS TIME". Do we focus on the first part or the second part? Or is this conspiracy minded and I should remove my tinfoil hat? Lol.

They already have a plan they are not just sharing it with the public they want to see how Shanghai goes it will give them approx 2 week head start on the US locations "IF" Disney chooses to do some sort of soft opening 6/1

NoBreyner60

Disney isn't sharing anything with the recovery taskforce either. It seems as if they were there to iron out their rules then just show up every meeting with nothing to share. Those meetings are now once a week with the next one on Tuesday, so who knows?

celluloid

They already have a plan they are not just sharing it with the public they want to see how Shanghai goes it will give them approx 2 week head start on the US locations "IF" Disney chooses to do some sort of soft opening 6/1

Well you would have to train your teams first. And to do that you are going to have to start paying your thousands of salaried positions again so they can scheduele and assign training, in the next day or few so things would be ready for such a soon approaching date.
Nothing is impossible, but no one get your heart set on June, particularly so early in June.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom