Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I think discussion about Disneyland reopening in any capacity makes me a bit happier, since it's a little more optimistic then things being locked down forever.

And make us not take all those things we likely took for granted our whole lives......that we appreciate the freedoms and wonder of good health and being able to do things again, and find them better......for having lost them for a time.;)

mharrington

By the time the park reopens? No. Someday in the future? Possibly. Nothing lasts forever.

I really hope that "Someday in the future" is not the "three to five years" that was suggested. I hope it's much later than that.

I considered Splash Mountain to be a classic as well.

True, but Peter Pan and the Tiki Room have been around A LOT longer than Splash Mountain, one since day one and the other within the park's first decade.

I doubt they'd get rid of Pan entirely but we'll likely lose the natives.

That wouldn't be so bad, as they're mainly decorative (and rather oddly placed, I think). Even Tiger Lily's placement in Skull Rock can probably be replaced, maybe borrowing from Shanghai, which I don't believe has any Indians at all. But I don't want it to be removed entirely. It's literally one of the few attractions around since day one. And really, there's some appeal in flying over London in a pirate ship.

Sailor310

I really hope that "Someday in the future" is not the "three to five years" that was suggested. I hope it's much later than that.

True, but Peter Pan and the Tiki Room have been around A LOT longer than Splash Mountain, one since day one and the other within the park's first decade.

That wouldn't be so bad, as they're mainly decorative (and rather oddly placed, I think). Even Tiger Lily's placement in Skull Rock can probably be replaced, maybe borrowing from Shanghai, which I don't believe has any Indians at all. But I don't want it to be removed entirely. It's literally one of the few attractions around since day one. And really, there's some appeal in flying over London in a pirate ship.
They could replace "native Americans" with more mermaids.......but then using mermaids is sexist and some find exploiting merpeople offensive. (sarcasm)

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Yeah well... I'm still waiting for the bag checks to go away.
SERIOUSLY. Each time I go to DTD I'm like 'WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY must you touch my bag and all my stuff????????????????'

Desperate for the WDW security systems to be brought here so we can just walk on through without them spreading germs from the last 6000 people whose bags they just touched onto mine.

TP2000

Boy, I won't miss the crowds! Also, watching folks reading a map makes me think they've already lost the battle if they didn't research fast passes, single rider and study what rides are where before they walked into a crowded park.

They're idiot weaklings, they deserve it. :cool:

Seriously, do TDA executives even know they are in the hospitality business? Do they know their customers are on vacation and shouldn't have to spend 3 hours researching how to go to a theme park to do it correctly? Apparently not.

TP2000

As for Disneyland reopening, once they hit the 1 year mark in five weeks (which they will) things get much harder to restart. It's been explained by CM's that you have to retrain from scratch when someone hasn't worked somewhere in the past year. They will basically be reopening a theme park from scratch, although some of the CM's will still have some memory and understanding and the training will go quickly.

But still, it's a logistical and administrative nightmare if they haven't brought at least 15,000 CM's back onto the job by March 14th.

And where's Ken Potrock? Is he Instagramming or Tweeting anything? They've been silent now since before Christmas.

Robbiem

And don't forget he is even loosing the support of the legislature who just introduced a bill to allow all theme parks to reopen in the Orange tier, here's to hoping the bill passed with enough support to override a veto if the governor decides to veto it.

No matter how the governor wants to spin it, one thing is clear, politics will play a major role in determine when theme parks can reopen in California and science and data will continue to take second place at best.
Variety has an article about the proposed theme park reopening bill

Miru

Other notes:

* A few other attractions at risk are Launch Bay/Path of the Jedi (good riddance!), Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, GSS, Gadget’s Go Coaster, Roger Rabbit, the trail, Buzz, and maybe a few others.
* Rainforest Cafe is trying to re-open. Emphasis on the trying part.

Brer Panther

Other notes:

* A few other attractions at risk are Launch Bay/Path of the Jedi (good riddance!), Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, GSS, Gadget’s Go Coaster, Roger Rabbit, the trail, Buzz, and maybe a few others.
I can see why Pinocchio and Mr. Toad would be at risk, but why would the others? Also, what does "GSS" stand for?

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
Other notes:

I always forget that Launch Bay is listed as an 'attraction' and not a shop, since it's literally just a gift shop with reduced hours.

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
As for Disneyland reopening, once they hit the 1 year mark in five weeks (which they will) things get much harder to restart. It's been explained by CM's that you have to retrain from scratch when someone hasn't worked somewhere in the past year. They will basically be reopening a theme park from scratch, although some of the CM's will still have some memory and understanding and the training will go quickly.

But still, it's a logistical and administrative nightmare if they haven't brought at least 15,000 CM's back onto the job by March 14th.

And where's Ken Potrock? Is he Instagramming or Tweeting anything? They've been silent now since before Christmas.

It is interesting that Ken and Josh aren't out in public doing anything and everything they can to reopen the parks, if only to boost morale among furloughed CM's. Poor Ken must be way over his head- he gets hired to be the president of Disneyland (a job many would kill for, though he doesn't seem to have particular interest in the park/brand)- and it's been closed the entire time and most of his employees have been furloughed and laid off.

Perhaps they don't want to alienate the portion of their fanbase in California who support the continued closure?

When Disney started trying to call back CM's to work Downtown Disney, about a third of the ones they called refused to come back because they didn't feel safe.

Many of the workers at Disneyland who are still going into work aren't working the job they did when the parks were open- they've been reassigned different roles with no say in the matter. One gentleman who was a manager is now a designated 'mask enforcer' in Downtown Disney- not a fun job nor a job anyone wants. Morale isn't high, and many are getting burned out.

The longer this goes on the more high seniority hourly CM's Disney has furloughed will move on to other jobs. A good friend of mine has 9 years of Food and Beverage seniority- and is getting tired of sitting at home and has started applying to other jobs. Not to mention that she's simply depressed after a year of this. A few friends who were salary but furloughed have decided they won't be returning to Disneyland when it reopens.

Cast Member satisfaction directly correlates with guest satisfaction- so rebuilding any semblance of a positive backstage culture and cast member perks will be essential, but I imagine difficult to execute with the reduced staffing and significant reductions in Cast Member amenities that's expected when the park reopens. I'm also curious how this extended closure will impact Disneyland's union relations and future union contract negotiations.

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
They're idiot weaklings, they deserve it. :cool:

Seriously, do TDA executives even know they are in the hospitality business? Do they know their customers are on vacation and shouldn't have to spend 3 hours researching how to go to a theme park to do it correctly? Apparently not.

Not to mention the prevalence of frumpy CM's at the attraction entrances that often don't acknowledge the guest and vocally complain about various backstage happenings. I know this was a frustration among a few stage managers around the park.

When I took Traditions and Step Into the Magic last year basic hospitality training was basically absent- like knowing how to politely say 'no' in a way that doesn't disappoint the guest. I hope that Disneyland's rebirth provides the opportunity for a training revamp as they bring on new CM's and get the park back to normal.

shambolicdefending

I keep thinking that just getting the park ready for re-opening could have some major hiccups.

How much maintenance has been done in attractions in the last 11 months? Are they all still going to work when they flip the lights back on?

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
How much maintenance has been done in attractions in the last 11 months? Are they all still going to work when they flip the lights back on?

Some stuff is expected to not work. I had a conversation a couple months ago, and there are props and effects that are known to need periodic maintenance to actually function and not rust and fall apart they named a few that are in various shows that they don't think will work properly at reopen.

In many cases there's no one staffed to actually perform that maintenance- so I'm guessing there are a number of effects that won't work properly.

But I also heard that maintenance had gone into a few attractions and fixed smaller effects that had been broken for years, so it's kind of a mixed bag.

Last edited:

Miru

I can see why Pinocchio and Mr. Toad would be at risk, but why would the others? Also, what does "GSS" stand for?
There was a video a while back where the imagineers were shown discarding the Carousel building from a model of DL Tomorrowland. I think it was on Disney+. GSS stands for Goofy’s Sky School. The others all seem pretty outdated as well.

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
I don't understand the purpose of this thread. the park is not opening anytime soon.

Yes, but I think speculating and discussing what we know/don't know about the park reopening is worthwhile and somewhat enjoyable. I love talking about how everything is shut down and the rona as much as the next guy, but I enjoy talking about Disneyland actually operating even more.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yes, but I think speculating and discussing what we know/don't know about the park reopening is worthwhile and somewhat enjoyable. I love talking about how everything is shut down and the rona as much as the next guy, but I enjoy talking about Disneyland actually operating even more.
Fair enough. Guess I am still bitter that I had a trip all planned out last summer to take my girl to Disneyland for her very first time and the pandemic shut it all down. I was really looking forward to re-visiting the park myself, and falling in love with it all over again and seeing her discover the park and falling in love with it for her own reasons. I wanted that experience so bad and I felt I got cheated out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom