Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharrington

Well... I guess that is still an option.

And my big concern is that it could very well be the option that Newsom goes with (if he doesn't get recalled first). I sure hope not, though. Considering how many billions of dollars that Disneyland has lost, I don't know how much longer they can risk to keep it closed without considering having to close it for good.

TP2000

And my big concern is that it could very well be the option that Newsom goes with (if he doesn't get recalled first). I sure hope not, though. Considering how many billions of dollars that Disneyland has lost, I don't know how much longer they can risk to keep it closed without considering having to close it for good.

It's a mess, no way around that. This whole thing is a giant, stinking, rotting mess. 🤮

Honestly, can anyone remember where we were a year ago with the best economy in 75 years and then try to consider a scenario where Disneyland stays closed for over a year but Disney World does not? Because I can't.

But the political angle on this (and there are several angles) is that Governor Newsom will do what he needs to do to keep his job.

As for the recall, I signed the petition to recall him. But I honestly don't expect that to work, as there is no Arnold Schwarzenegger running against him this time. It's just a collection of standard grade Republicans and a few interesting Democrats (like that Sri Lankan gentleman with the name I couldn't even begin to pronounce much less type, but has a few unique ideas I like) angling to run against him.

I only signed the recall petition to try and prevent him from inflicting himself on the rest of America as a Presidential candidate in '24 or '28. I'm not naive enough to think anything more lasting than that will happen from getting a recall approved.

I'd like for him and First Partner to just go take some more Getty money and run a very fashionable boutique winery no one has ever heard of in Napa for the rest of his life and be happy. I wish both he and First Partner well in their future endeavors.🍷

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Original Poster

Not only is there the cost of having the park closed in terms of lost revenue, having to lay off a substantial portion of the workforce, etc.- but the longer this goes on the more expensive it's gonna be to get the place reopened.

I do have to wonder what it would take for Disney to say 'screw it' and abandon their Anaheim property. I still doubt it would happen but I also thought the park was reopening in July of last year.

mharrington

Not only is there the cost of having the park closed in terms of lost revenue, having to lay off a substantial portion of the workforce, etc.- but the longer this goes on the more expensive it's gonna be to get the place reopened.

I do have to wonder what it would take for Disney to say 'screw it' and abandon their Anaheim property. I still doubt it would happen but I also thought the park was reopening in July of last year.

Again, could maybe @Disney Irish weigh in, particularly on the expense in actually reopening? I haven't really thought of that. I do remember being excited about its prospective reopening last year and was quite upset when it didn't.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Again, could maybe @Disney Irish weigh in, particularly on the expense in actually reopening? I haven't really thought of that. I do remember being excited about its prospective reopening last year and was quite upset when it didn't.
I have nothing to really add here. Will there be an expense to reopening, yes. Will it be too much for them not to reopen, NO. Disney literally spent upwards of 2 Billion (or more) on recent additions to both Parks, one of which hasn't even opened yet. They will for sure want to reopen in order to recoup their investment. All you have to do is look at Disney's recent earnings call, Chapek specifically called out Avenger's Campus as FOR SURE opening in 2021.

So no matter the cost of reopening, it will be done. As stated many times by many people here, and Disney themselves, Disneyland Resort will reopen. Its only a matter of when, and that is dependent on many factors, but my current bet is May/June.

Until then we have the DCA food festival to look forward to in March, and I suspect Main St will be added in April.

Travel Junkie

Are you talking about that LA Times article you posted that tried to support the ban on outdoor dining in LA County?

Because that read to me like what it seemed to be; a politically slanted puff piece by the LA Times (what's new?) trying to bolster the shaky political ground that Mayor Garcetti and the Time's favorite county Supervisors had staked out for themselves by banning outdoor dining without any scientific evidence that could stand up in court. You do have to remember that you can spot an LA Times Editorial Board position from outer space.

That's my opinion on that Times article you posted awhile back.

It had both sides of the argument represented. Which is what journalism does.

That wasn't the only one either. The CDC that you often did a quote also had a study that you dismissed. Funny how it is always a slanted piece if you don't agree with it, but above reproach when you do.

Again, you are not interested in good faith discussion.

ToTBellHop

I have nothing to really add here. Will there be an expense to reopening, yes. Will it be too much for them not to reopen, NO. Disney literally spent upwards of 2 Billion (or more) on recent additions to both Parks, one of which hasn't even opened yet. They will for sure want to reopen in order to recoup their investment. All you have to do is look at Disney's recent earnings call, Chapek specifically called out Avenger's Campus as FOR SURE opening in 2021.

So no matter the cost of reopening, it will be done. As stated many times by many people here, and Disney themselves, Disneyland Resort will reopen. Its only a matter of when, and that is dependent on many factors, but my current bet is May/June.

Until then we have the DCA food festival to look forward to in March, and I suspect Main St will be added in April.
Yes—Memorial Day is the goal. Trends and public opinion are on their side now (neither were in the fall).

fctiger

Yep, a large portion of Californians will have been vaccinated by then; allowing for a reopening even if its with a few restrictions.
It would be great if it's been open by then. I'm not going to assume it will happen since I been burned on so many of my predictions at this point lol; but yes this at least a real chance of happening if the vaccinations stay steady between now and then.

Fingers crossed! 🤞

el_super

At this point, the cost of reopening won't be that astronomical. The rides are receiving cursory maintenance and anything that needed to be done to set them up for long term storage was done before November, when they realized they wouldnt be open until Spring.

The social distancing changes have been made. Markers are down throughout the parks. Seating adjusted, dividers added, queues remapped, sanitizer procured.

The biggest expense is going to be bringing back the cast. Mostly in retraining hours and a limited test and adjust period. I suspect they will have no issues in casting a limited capacity park at first. Things will get more expensive as they have to rehire and retrain more CMs as capacity is increased, but that wont be for awhile.

ToTBellHop

It would be great if it's been open by then. I'm not going to assume it will happen since I been burned on so many of my predictions at this point lol; but yes this at least a real chance of happening if the vaccinations stay steady between now and then.

Fingers crossed! 🤞
Of course. It’s “the goal” but there have been many goals.

As far as I know, CA is the ONLY STATE that has not yet decided to allow amusement parks to reopen. NY and MA recently decided to allow parks to reopen this year after being shuttered in 2020. Newsom’s decision here looks more and more arbitrary by the day.

fctiger

As far as I know, CA is the ONLY STATE that has not yet decided to allow amusement parks to reopen. NY and MA recently decided to allow parks to reopen this year after being shuttered in 2020. Newsom’s decision here looks more and more arbitrary by the day.

Yes I know, hence why I'm not pretending anything is going to happen, only its possible. As I said I been burned on every prediction I have made thus far when this park was going to reopen, just me thinking it's possible now probably means its probably definitely not happening lol.

But we can only hope, right?

PiratesMansion

There's no confirmation in Illinois that our parks are allowed to open either.

There was an opening date on our Six Flags' website that swiftly disappeared, and officials have been silent.

Granted, water parks opened last summer. Not theme parks, however.

milordsloth

That wasn't the only one either. The CDC that you often did a quote also had a study that you dismissed. Funny how it is always a slanted piece if you don't agree with it, but above reproach when you do.

This isn't the first time I've seen someone accuse TP of not discussing topics in "good faith" and it doesn't make sense to me at all. I feel like out of the regular posters on here, he discusses topics in good faith more than most others.

TP2000

Just because I have a different opinion than you and dare to type that opinion online does not mean I am not here in good faith.

I'm sure you believe in a diversity of opinion, do you not? :)

I believe the LA Times is trying to bolster the suddenly shaky positions their favored political leaders have staked out, from Sacramento to City Hall. I don't doubt that at all, and I thank you for posting articles like that from the LA Times. It's often fun to see how what's left of the Times staff is trying to rally the troops that way.

But why I don't put much stock into opinions like that from LA Times chosen "experts" is... why wasn't that information presented in court by the County of Los Angeles as evidence? That's where that type of journalism goes into the realm of biased reporting for me; because none of that information was presented as evidence in the two recent prominent court cases.

Which is the entire ongoing topic of that thread about Downtown Disney restaurants where our conversation took place; whether there is any scientific evidence that proves Outdoor Dining spreads Covid, or that Covid spread is happening in the restaurant industry beyond the employees working in crowded back kitchens. In addition, what scientific evidence did political leaders use to make their decision to shut down indoor dining, and then shut down outdoor dining?

The evidence there presented in court is clear; just under 4% of Covid cases in LA County can be traced to restaurants, and the majority of those Covid cases are among the back-of-house kitchen staff working in cramped conditions. It's not being spread from a sanitized tabletop out on the patio.

TP2000

And speaking of dining, that gets us back to Reopening Disneyland.

We've talked mostly about rides and queues and shows. But dining is clearly spelled out as an activity to be highly regulated by the state when Disneyland reopens in the Yellow Tier.

Specifically, theme park dining may only operate dining rooms and outdoor dining areas at 25% capacity.

Which will be eased by the park itself being limited to only 25% capacity overall. But there are high-demand restaurants that would still sell out even on very slow days at Disneyland. Like the Blue Bayou, Carthay Circle, and the Lamplighter Lounge. Or that new Ant Man microbrewery (really quite clever!) in Marvel Land.

25% of the Blue Bayou is a very small number. And that's at most, because you have to spread tables out with a minimum of 6 feet between each table. It's entirely possible that a dining room like the Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle, that was designed to really pack 'em in as part of the aesthetic, can only have 20% of their capacity available for reservations with Social Distancing.

blue-bayou-restaurant-00.jpg

Slashing these high demand theme park restaurants to 25% of their capacity is still going to be a problem even if the park is held to 25% capacity. I doubt the numbers even work to keep these places running at those low levels. It's a business nightmare really.

From page 17 of the King James edition of The Guidance:
  • Operators must limit capacity at all indoor eating and drinking establishments to 25% capacity.
  • Park visitors are permitted to eat and drink only in designated dining areas.
  • Maximize the distance between designated, indoor dining tables well beyond the required six feet.

Last edited:

TP2000

To many people, it was already an obviously arbitrary decision back in 2020.

But you are right, it's a position that gets shakier by the day in Sacramento. Which is why I believe it's a political position that will have to be reversed by Newsom sooner than later. I'm betting by Easter.

TP2000

This isn't the first time I've seen someone accuse TP of not discussing topics in "good faith" and it doesn't make sense to me at all. I feel like out of the regular posters on here, he discusses topics in good faith more than most others.

Thank you very much. :)

It seems like the core issue is that I have an opinion that differs from others here, and I refuse to keep my opinion to myself. And voicing a different opinion seems to be suddenly conflated with not chatting in "good faith". As if "good faith" requires you to keep quiet if your opinion differs from others.

Which is also why I try to go out of my way to back up my opinion or point with as much linked data as possible from the CDC, State Covid dashboard, County Covid dashboard, or reputable sites like Bloomberg that compile official data from foreign governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom