Renting points vs booking

Weather_Lady

Renting points is a great way to save!

We're staying at Wilderness Lodge (6 of us) in a 2-bedroom villa for 6 nights next May. Our cost (renting through David's DVC Rentals at $13 a point) was $3,500, plus $200 for insurance since the amount is non-refundable (in case somebody gets sick or we otherwise have to change our plans), for a total of $3,700.

Cost for the same villa out-of-pocket for our travel dates? A whopping $6,567, meaning we saved nearly three thousand dollars off of the rack rate. I realize there is always some amount of risk involved in renting points (and that there are other negatives, e.g., you're not eligible for discounts or free dining offers), but we couldn't afford it any other way.

Last edited:

mbtohill

We've rented points a number of times in the past and save tons of $$$$. Going to Beach Club in October for 3 nights for F&W. Rented points for a studio for $500. Would have cost me that much for one night booking through Disney. We have used Mouseowners.com a number of times without any problems...

PolynesianPrincess

Our trip in 2 weeks will be the second time we've used DVC Rental Store. We chose them over David's because they don't require an upfront charge to search for availibility. We've rented for WL last year and then we're staying at BLT for 3 nights in a studio for the price of what it would have cost us for 1 night booking through disney direct. It's such a great savings! Of course the stipulations like no cancellations or you lose all your money is kind of risky but it works for us. :)

hsisthebest

That is of course renting vs rack rate. Most often 30% off will come close- take the 30% off right now and you can get 5 nights at OKW for $1456. So renting still saves you money, but buying into DVC would be insane b4 you get investment back.

luv

Can you guys send me the websites you use to rent the points? I'd love to try this out in January.
Remember that those sites don't guarantee you a room or your money. If you show up and have no room, you're just out the money.

If they stood behind the transaction - if David's Rentals agreed to pay for my room if I were cheated out of my money - I'd be more inclined to consider it. But they don't. You are as at-risk as if you did it on eBay. I am absolutely what people call "risk adverse", though! Extremely risk-adverse. :)

When it works, it can save a bundle. But it is a gamble. Just a friendly heads-up!

Disney Shib

Remember that those sites don't guarantee you a room or your money. If you show up and have no room, you're just out the money.

If they stood behind the transaction - if David's Rentals agreed to pay for my room if I were cheated out of my money - I'd be more inclined to consider it. But they don't. You are as at-risk as if you did it on eBay. I am absolutely what people call "risk adverse", though! Extremely risk-adverse. :)

When it works, it can save a bundle. But it is a gamble. Just a friendly heads-up!

Thanks so much! I think we are going to just hope for good AP discount and aim for a moderate resort. :)

WDW-LUVR

Thanks so much! I think we are going to just hope for good AP discount and aim for a moderate resort. :)
We Love the moderate resorts.
I see some of the prices you all are throwing out there and I'm thinking these Numbers are crazy for what you are getting.
This years we have a party of 4, 3 adults and 1 jr, with 9 nights hotel,Free Dinning, 5 day + WPF&M we paid $3400.
Next year we have a party of 8, again 9 nights Free Dinning, 5 day + WPF&M we are looking at just over $6000

Spikerdink

I am a DVC owner and just asked David's to rent out my 300 points. I did it once myself, but feel he can take care of it quicker and with less issues than I can.

As I understand it, when David finds you a reservation and books it, the person booking will receive a confirmation number just as if you booked direct with Disney. So you don't have to worry about arriving and not having a room.

On a related note, if anyone wants to rent out 300 points, message me! :)

Disney Shib

We Love the moderate resorts.
I see some of the prices you all are throwing out there and I'm thinking these Numbers are crazy for what you are getting.
This years we have a party of 4, 3 adults and 1 jr, with 9 nights hotel,Free Dinning, 5 day + WPF&M we paid $3400.
Next year we have a party of 8, again 9 nights Free Dinning, 5 day + WPF&M we are looking at just over $6000

I've only stayed at POR and Corondo. HAve you ever stayed at Carribean Beach? Did you like it?

sgtmgd

Our trip in 2 weeks will be the second time we've used DVC Rental Store. We chose them over David's because they don't require an upfront charge to search for availibility. We've rented for WL last year and then we're staying at BLT for 3 nights in a studio for the price of what it would have cost us for 1 night booking through disney direct. It's such a great savings! Of course the stipulations like no cancellations or you lose all your money is kind of risky but it works for us. :)

Add us to this list..renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at AKL Kidani village savannah view..PLUS we also went with the deulxe dining plan..had magic express added..everything has been perfect thus far..was provided a link on the DVC site to verify my reservation, dining plan and recieved my magic express mail a couple weeks back..I dont remember the exact savings but it was significant..the Timeshare Store http://www.timesharesale.com/ have been efficent and knowlegeable through the process..Jamie Carr and Scott Decker in particular. The cost per point is a bit less than Davids...and no fee to check on availability..

PolynesianPrincess

Actually per the contract you sign when you rent the points, the member HAS to make sure this is taken care of for you. Here's the part in our contract that says so:

Should accommodations not be available on date of arrival due to an action or omission by the Member, including but not limited to negligence on the part of the Member and after communication with The DVC Rental Store, suitable comparable accommodations for the same dates cannot be secured by the Member, the Renter will be due a refund limited to the amount paid which is $---.-- US Dollars.

Accidental room cancellations can happen to anyone, not just with DVC. A girl I know her reservation was not there when she showed up at check in to POFQ. Even though she had the confirmation, it had somehow been cancelled. She lost the discount because the reservation had been cancelled. It can happen anywhere, not just with renting DVC points. That's why there's a contract.

Obi

Actually per the contract you sign when you rent the points, the member HAS to make sure this is taken care of for you. Here's the part in our contract that says so:

Should accommodations not be available on date of arrival due to an action or omission by the Member, including but not limited to negligence on the part of the Member and after communication with The DVC Rental Store, suitable comparable accommodations for the same dates cannot be secured by the Member, the Renter will be due a refund limited to the amount paid which is $---.-- US Dollars.

Accidental room cancellations can happen to anyone, not just with DVC. A girl I know her reservation was not there when she showed up at check in to POFQ. Even though she had the confirmation, it had somehow been cancelled. She lost the discount because the reservation had been cancelled. It can happen anywhere, not just with renting DVC points. That's why there's a contract.

this is correct. we also rented points from the dvc rental store. we received the confirmation # of the rooms being reserved. checked on Disney's site, using the confirmation #, and it's listed there as being reserved.

I do believe that david's rental also has a similar contract set up.

willtravel

She didn't have any paperwork at hand showing confirmation # from WDW at time of check in?

PolynesianPrincess

She didn't have any paperwork at hand showing confirmation # from WDW at time of check in?

She did but it was completely gone from the system. They showed it had been cancelled. And there was nothing they could do to get her original ressie back with the discount. If she contacted Disney after the fact and resolved it, I don't know but she had to be moved to another resort due to availability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom