Renting points vs booking

willtravel

I'm sort of an example. We rented through David's for a split-stay in June 2011 - first half at AKV, second half at BWV (both studio rooms). About a month before the trip I got a call that the member we were renting from for the AKV portion was "off the grid" - David's had been unable to contact them and despite the fact that we'd paid in full we no longer had a room. They said this had never happened before and that they were going to secure us a 1-bedroom at Saratoga Springs (a more costly room) with them paying the difference for the upgrade. We declined because by then I'd really had my heart set on staying at AKL (I managed to book a room using an AP discount - looking back I wish we'd taken the SS room because it would have been cheaper than our AKL room at the AP rate and we've never stayed at SS before). David's refunded our money and sent us a $50 giftcard for the trouble. At the time I was pretty upset - I still wish we'd been given more advanced notice, but I'm not sure what more they could have done otherwise. The BWV portion of the trip went flawlessly.

Since then we've rented with them 3 more times: BCV in 2012 (everything was fine) and we have 2 AKV stays coming up at the end of this year and it's been fine so far. As a PP says the renter gets a confirmation number and it shows up in MDE just like a regular reservation made through Disney would.

My biggest issue with David's lately is that it's gotten so popular that I've had a couple of instances where I haven't gotten my first choice resort even at the 11-month mark (they offer me the second choice before booking and if I decline I get my deposit back). This is why we're at AKV twice for our next trip...I wanted VWL and called right at the 11-month mark and it was full! UGH! :grumpy:
Then I guess they are not saying let's wait a week and see if we get the points? That is what they did for me last year for this past May stay. I didn't even put in a second choice. They just said wait a week or two and see what happens.

pixargal

Just curious what 300 points can get, for example in Oct?
300 points can get you quite a bit, but it depends on the resort and the size room you want. I will use VWL for an example of points needed for a week in October:
Studio: 107 points
1 bedroom: 218 points
2 bedroom: 278 points

mishel635

We are staying at BCV in February for seven nights through David's and so far they've been great. We wanted to stay at a Deluxe and since we are going Presidents Day week, I figured there probably wouldn't be any good discounts. The price we paid for our room was a little bit less than what a room at a moderate would be for the same dates. Everyone I've worked with has been great so far. We tried to book 8 months out and there weren't any points for BCV. They had us wait til 7 months and were able to book BCV for us then.
We have a confirmation number and have made all of our ADRs without a problem. Hoping things continue to go smoothly for us! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom