Renting DVC points?

Sphinx610

Original Poster
Hi there-

I am thinking about trying out DVC by renting some points for my trip next year (10/2014). :)
So I am starting to look into it now. I would need two villas- one for my mom/brother and one for my fam. Any advice for this? I don't want to get ripped off! I am looking at a website that I have been told is reputable by another DVC member... Would LOVE a Boardwalk Studio...:D ...

How does it work? Do you put in a request and either get approved or denied? I know we have to do it a year ahead, right? or 11 mos?

Also- I was wondering if you still get the magic express from the airport if you are doing that... ???

Any advice is appreciated!
TIA!

sgtmgd

http://www.dvc-resales.com/

I would use this site for renting DVC points, they are in Orlando have a great reputation and often post on this site.

We have rented points through them for our trip in a few weeks where we will be staying in a 2 beadroom villa in Kidani Village, everything has been smooth sailing thus far, You can also get a dining plan and the Magical express through them.

ParentsOf4

David's DVC rental (http://www.dvcrequest.com/) is probably the best known and most reliable but also the most expensive. It's also possible to rent points from mouseowners.com and ebay.

Normal rental prices are $12-14 per point but bargain shoppers can get points for well under $10 per point if they have lots of flexibility. (I'm a DVC member but didn't want to borrow from my 2014 points so ended up spending $7 per point for a last-minute trip.)

Renting points is much less expensive than renting rooms from Disney. Also much less flexible. Be pretty much 100% sure of your vacation plans before renting points.

Not sure how many are in your party. A 2-bedroom villa offers a master bedroom (1 king size bed), a combined living room & kitchen (one queen sleeper sofa and, if at AKV or BLT, a sleeper chair), and a second bedroom with a queen been & either a second queen or a sleeper sofa.

We just stayed at Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) and slept 2 adults and 7 teenagers.

There are many DVC resorts. IMHO, AKV offers the best value, BCV or BWV offer the best location, BLT is closest to MK, and OKW or SSR offer the best availability.

Please provide more details (e.g. how many & ages, which parks you are going to spend the most time at, budget, etc.) and I can offer more detailed recommendations.

EOD K9

I just rented to a member of this forum for just over $11 a point and I only know this person from this forum. It did however work out quite well for all parties involved.

Sphinx610

Original Poster
David's DVC rental (http://www.dvcrequest.com/) is probably the best known and most reliable but also the most expensive. It's also possible to rent points from mouseowners.com and ebay.

Normal rental prices are $12-14 per point but bargain shoppers can get points for well under $10 per point if they have lots of flexibility. (I'm a DVC member but didn't want to borrow from my 2014 points so ended up spending $7 per point for a last-minute trip.)

Renting points is much less expensive than renting rooms from Disney. Also much less flexible. Be pretty much 100% sure of your vacation plans before renting points.

Not sure how many are in your party. A 2-bedroom villa offers a master bedroom (1 king size bed), a combined living room & kitchen (one queen sleeper sofa and, if at AKV or BLT, a sleeper chair), and a second bedroom with a queen been & either a second queen or a sleeper sofa.

We just stayed at Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV) and slept 2 adults and 7 teenagers.

There are many DVC resorts. IMHO, AKV offers the best value, BCV or BWV offer the best location, BLT is closest to MK, and OKW or SSR offer the best availability.

Please provide more details (e.g. how many & ages, which parks you are going to spend the most time at, budget, etc.) and I can offer more detailed recommendations.

Wow! Thanks for the great info! I will check out that link... I found a DVC owner and I had looked into that Davids Vacation Rental guy. I just started looking but our budget will allow us a studio at either AK, OKW or Boardwalk (looked up the points for our dates). I have been wanting to stay at boardwalk for a long time... but I am open to OKW, SS is out of our $$. Although AK is beautiful, we aren't really interested. My uncle is a DVC owner (who uses or saves his points every year, darn! lol) and he just got back from AK w Savannah view room. He said the same thing I did... too far out...

We are going in mid-oct 2014. (Can't go bf that, I can't take the FLA 90+ heat. 80's I can do!) Hoping to do one night of the MNSSHP w my DS! We are a group of 6, we want 2 rooms. Mom & Bro take one room, my fam the other room. (DH, Me, DD4 &DS8 @travel) My kids are obsessed w MK. They like HS (my bros fave) and the adults are stoked for F&W. I think BWV would be the best given the walking access to Epcot and HS. What are your thoughts?

Other Question: can you get into the parks for EMH w/DVC?

Sphinx610

Original Poster
Some of the lower priced DVC Studios cost the following points in October for 1 week:

AKV Value: 69
BWV Standard View: 78
OKW: 78
AKV Standard View: 88

If you want BWV, you need to book it at 11 months with someone who owns there. The popular Food and Wine Festival occurs throughout October and it's nearly impossible to get rooms on DVC points at BWV and BCV for this month if these are not the DVC member's Home Resorts. I've even heard of DVC members charging a premium for these resorts for these months. If you have access to a DVC member who owns there, go for it. Otherwise look elsewhere.

In general, the Standard View Studios at BWV are difficult to book while BWV's other Studios are 107 points per week for October.

If you are looking to save money then consider booking at SSR last-minute. Usually this resort is available on short notice and DVC members are sometimes desperate to sell their points there.

Since you are not going until October 2014, you still have several months to plan but if you want BWV in October, you will have to book 11 months out. Consider mid November instead. The Christmas decorations are out by then and look lovely.

If I were looking for a cheap DVC stay, I'd go BWV Standard View first, AKV Value second (both of these are really hard to book), AKV Standard View third (ask for a pool view, which is considered Standard View), and OKW fourth.

AKV is a great resort and WDW is simply not that big. The bus from AKV to MK is not much longer than from OKW and, frankly, OKW and SSR both feel more like Moderate Resorts to me. The bus rides to the other 3 theme parks are about the same. I suggest you use Google maps to get a good idea of where the resorts are in relation to the theme parks.

Yes, EMH is available for all onsite guests, including those staying on DVC points. Be warned that EMH hours have been greatly reduced this year. By October 2014, they may all but be eliminated.

Ok thank you very much. You've given me some great insight and a few things to think about! I'm a first time renter but I'm pretty familiar w wdw. I stayed in a value last time and POP is our backup this time. Thing is, it's just slightly more to rent the points and the resorts are incomparable! So I'm going to try it. The DVC owner I met is a BwV owner w points available in oct 2014. I'm going to do some more research since I have a few months. I know it's not a sure thing so the SS idea may work out for us. Worst case we just book PoP. Either way I'm in WDw!!! Lol :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok thank you very much. You've given me some great insight and a few things to think about! I'm a first time renter but I'm pretty familiar w wdw. I stayed in a value last time and POP is our backup this time. Thing is, it's just slightly more to rent the points and the resorts are incomparable! So I'm going to try it. The DVC owner I met is a BwV owner w points available in oct 2014. I'm going to do some more research since I have a few months. I know it's not a sure thing so the SS idea may work out for us. Worst case we just book PoP. Either way I'm in WDw!!! Lol :)

The only problem I see with your plan is that once you try DVC you'll never want to go back to Pop again;););)

All the advice given so far is dead on. If you plan on doing BWV or BCV during food and wine (which should be going on mid-October) make sure you find a renter who can book for you at the 11 month mark. It's a hard room to get especially on the weekends.

Plutos Pal

Rented points from David's Vacation Rental last year. Have no complaints. All the plans worked well. Stayed at BLT 12/8/12 - 12/13/12. Got my approval within 36 hours with my second choice of room view. Added magical express with no problems. You can also add a dinning plan with them. All communications done with them was through email. If you needed to contact them on the phone they are very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely use them again and have recommended them to others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom