renting a car

ilPapa

Original Poster
I would like to maybe rent a car for a few days when I am in orlando, only problem I can think of is that I am 18 years old, I take it there would be an extra charge?

barnum42

Best to contact the rental companies direct. When I first flew over from the UK I was 20 and could not get a car. Minimum rental age was 21, and that came with a hefty supplement.

ilPapa

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
Best to contact the rental companies direct. When I first flew over from the UK I was 20 and could not get a car. Minimum rental age was 21, and that came with a hefty supplement.

ok, not what I was wanting to hear but thanks anyway!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
enterprise usually rents to 18 year olds, but they charge you extra and they restrict the types of vehicles you can rent. Otherwise, you can try local companies in Orlando. When I needed one at 19, I rented from a company called Able Rent a Car near the airport. I got a yellow Xterra from them

CAPTAIN HOOK

ilPapa said:
I would like to maybe rent a car for a few days when I am in orlando, only problem I can think of is that I am 18 years old, I take it there would be an extra charge?
Suggest a bit of on-line research for this - I think that you will be hit with some quite hefty supplements :eek:

ilPapa

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Suggest a bit of on-line research for this - I think that you will be hit with some quite hefty supplements :eek:

hopefully not!

although if it is too much we'l just have to walk or get a taxi!

barnum42

ilPapa said:
hopefully not!

although if it is too much we'l just have to walk or get a taxi!

There is not much you can walk to. Where are you staying and what do you plan to visit? Some hotels have free buses, others will be able to arrange for bus transport, either shared with other hotels. Alternatively, before I was 21 I used a company called Airport Limousines - a cross between a mini bus and a taxi. They would pick you up at the hotel and take you to your desired park. Then you phoned them an hour before you wanted to be picked up. More flexible than a bus, but unlike a taxi you may have to share. However that made it a lot cheaper.

jasonk

There is a company named E-Z Rental, or E-Z Car rental (something like that) that will rent to 18 year olds, and people without credit cards. there is a shuttle at the airport that will take you to the car lot.

mkt

Premium Member
I just finished reading their policies on the net..

Credit Card Rentals for Out of Country Renters
For renters who are renting a vehicle outside of the country that their driver's license is issued, the following policies apply:
• Unlimited Mileage, however all vehicles must stay within Florida.
• Minimum Age 18.
• No specialty cars for underage drivers (18-24)* (see FAQs).
• It is E-Z's policy that the renter purchase CDW and SLI.
• An authorization of $100.00 or 35% over the estimated total, whichever is greater, must be taken on the credit card as a deposit.

Debit Card Rentals for Out of Country Renters
For renters who are renting a vehicle outside of the country that their driver's license is issued, the following policies apply:
• Minimum Age 18.
• A return airline ticket must be provided.
• An authorization of $200.00 or 35% over the estimated total, whichever is greater, must be taken on the credit card as a deposit

Cash Rentals for Out of Country Renters
• Minimum Age 18.
• A return airline ticket for the length of the rental must be provided.
• A deposit of $200.00-$500.00 over the estimated total must be taken.

Underage Charge
An underage charge will apply to all renters, either primary or secondary, who are under the age of 25 at the time of pickup. This is a daily charge.

• $20.00 - Per day, for renters between 18 and 20 years old
• $15.00 - Per day, for renters between 21 and 24 years old.

and the car types you can't rent are...

PCAR Premium Car
FCAR Full Size Car
MVAR Minivan
SVAR 8 Passenger Vans
STAR Convertible
SFAR Sports Utility Vehicle
FVAR 15 Passenger Van
LCAR Luxury Car

so you can rent a car... enjoy your Daewoo Lanos

mkt

Premium Member
I just did the math for you as well. 1 day, after all costs figured in (insurance, taxes, and surcharges... not counting fuel however), it will be about $53/day for the Daewoo (in the UK the Lanos is known as the Kalos). Not too bad, but definitely expensive.

ilPapa

Original Poster
mkt said:
I just did the math for you as well. 1 day, after all costs figured in (insurance, taxes, and surcharges... not counting fuel however), it will be about $53/day for the Daewoo (in the UK the Lanos is known as the Kalos). Not too bad, but definitely expensive.

mkt, thanks a lot, appreciated.

to be honest, I don't think I will be renting the daewoo!

barnum42

ilPapa said:
mkt, thanks a lot, appreciated.

to be honest, I don't think I will be renting the daewoo!
Beggars can't be choosers!
Though in my experience rental places have never had the bottom one in stock and I've ended being upgraded to a larger car. Once up to an abomination of a car called a Chevy Malibu. Comfy with lots of toys, but handled like a pig.

mkt

Premium Member
when I went to LA last year, I reserved Mid-Size (Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Dodge Stratus, etc), and ended up getting upraded to a luxury SUV (Infiniti FX)... not too bad

ilPapa

Original Poster
thanks for all your help.

41 days to go, and I think I want to rent a car again lol

beggars cannot be choosers! its right...

do you think they will have any qualms about my age?

barnum42

ilPapa said:
do you think they will have any qualms about my age?
I doubt the companies UK tour operators deal with will allow you to rent, so you will have to go with the company MKT listed earlier in the thread. As long as you pay the supplements they will rent to you.

mkt

Premium Member
most UK tour operators use the larger US companies, so Barnum is dead on with his reply. I remember when my car was hit from behind and I was 19, I had to go through a local company called Able rent a car. They gave me an SUV. If they're still in business, I'd check them out... they were pretty good.

*2 minutes later*

here's their yellow pages ad!

Attachments

• 12677_666.jpg
    12677_666.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 43

ilPapa

Original Poster
mkt said:
most UK tour operators use the larger US companies, so Barnum is dead on with his reply. I remember when my car was hit from behind and I was 19, I had to go through a local company called Able rent a car. They gave me an SUV. If they're still in business, I'd check them out... they were pretty good.

*2 minutes later*

here's their yellow pages ad!

thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom