Rental Car savings suggestions...Pretty Please:)

Kristamouse

Heading down to WDW in about 25 days...and we are thinking of getting a rental car. Our car a 2010 Traverse already has 20K on it and this will be Mickey's (our car's name) 3rd trip to Florida since last May. I have been pricing Rental's in the Minivan or large SUV catagory and can't beat 600.00...it is a 10 day rental. We haven't rented in a while and the last time we only rented for a week so I guess prices really have gone up?
Any suggestions, I do have a Visa code but only 10% from KK...

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
My favorite method for getting a cheaper rental car is hotwire.com. You have to pay in full at time of booking and don't necessarily get to pick what company you get, but the price is usually pretty cheap. I don't care about what company I use for a rental because frankly, a car is a car. If it has 4 wheels, an engine, and is maintained enough to get me where I am going I am happy. It is not like the crapshoot you have to take with Hotwire for a hotel (potentially sketchy hotel) or plane tickets (random flight times and connections).

If you don't want to go the Hotwire route, try and find an Entertainment book at look at the coupons and codes in there. A lot of times you can get an extra few days or a class upgrade. Also, check out MouseSavers. They have all kinds of tips and tricks for trying to save on a rental car. Just keep in mind that some of the codes they have are designed for pickup at MCO and not your neck of the woods. http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html

Upvote 0

bigkbull

I second the hotwire idea. I booked a full size for 8 days on there for 200 bucks, and ended up with Hertz. Like the PP said, don't care what company and what car, as long as I can get around. Just when on there and priced out a standard SUV from Union, KY (saw your info) from 9/2/2011 - 9/12-2011 (took some guesses based on the info you gave) and it came to $518 for a standard SUV, $363 for a mid-size SUV.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Forgot to mention that the 3 times I have used Hotwire (twice in Orlando, once here in NJ) I've always ended up with Hertz. Two of the times I got a Chevy HHR as an "intermediate" sized car. The third time we ended up with a VW Beetle convertible...but that is only because my sister is nuts and wanted a convertible. Definitely not a good vacation car...I rode around with luggage on my lap since nothing but a can of soda really fits in that trunk. :lol:

Upvote 0

docdebbi

i don't like using a 3rd party because i like to know that the pick up location is in the airport, you can't guarantee that if you don't know the company. that's just my personal preference. my time getting out of the airport and to the World is important to me, it may not be as important to others.

right now there are really NO good prices on cars, i was shocked at what i am paying compared to last time i went 5 months ago

my best recommendation is to visit mousesavers.com. and try national. i like to book through national for 2 reasons. first, you can join the emerald club through mousesavers for free and then only have to rent an intermediate and you can get a minivan from the emerald club aisle (you know, chose any car in the aisle commercial? it's real and it works and orlando has rows full of minivans). and second because if you do reserve as an emerald club member there is no paperwork to get the car. you literally do just walk out of the airport to the national area in the garage- it is VERY close to exit- get in a minivan and drive off. they scan the car at exit and you're off
also, once you join emerald club, try all the different coupon codes on mousesavers, i got my minivan for this month for $100 less than before i put the coupon code in

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We've done very well with Alamo because they take two coupon codes on one reservation. I either use AAA or my Entertainment Card code along with my Costco code.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

i don't like using a 3rd party because i like to know that the pick up location is in the airport, you can't guarantee that if you don't know the company. that's just my personal preference. my time getting out of the airport and to the World is important to me, it may not be as important to others.

This is important to me too, but the companies that Priceline lets you name your price on are all in the airport, no need for shuttles. Also on Hotwire, they'll specify "in terminal" or "shuttle" even though they don't show the specific company.
I've gotten some amazing deals using the Name Your Own Price on Priceline.

Upvote 0

moonchild925

I've also never had a problem specifying in terminal using priceline. I usually always name my own price through them and generally save about 30% off regular quoted prices. Keep in mind though that they usually make you wait a day in between bids for the same car class......good luck!

Upvote 0

disney dharling

Sign up for the free memberships. When they send you a link with specials follow it. I have saved a good amount this way and you can still apply most coupons you can find online. National has been my favorite lately, their pay for a midsize, pick any car option has worked out very well for us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom