Rent a Car Rent a Car

jmewin

Folks if you are going to visit WDW I strongly suggest renting a car. I have just returned from 10 lovely days there, and I feel like I spent half my life waiting for busses.:mad:
I stayed at CBR. I had PS at 6 other resorts and it took my 45-90 minutes with at least one bus or monorail change to get to them. Very frustrating.
Even going to DTD or to and from the theme parks often entailed a 20 minute wait.:mad:
Other than that I had a great time and will post reports later. Joanie

LadyDarling

Agreed! We had a similair problem with the All Star buses. Mainly, being stranded after hours in the Magic Kingdom. We stayed shopping until the park closed and even then, linger as LONG as we could since it was our last night. We ended up having security call us (and another group of stranded folks) a bus. A LONG night.

So now we rent a car. End of problem! :)

Upvote 0

Scooter

I strongly disagree.

I cannot emphasize how less stressful it is NOT to have to be driving all over the Orlando area/Walt Disney World while on your holiday/vacation.

Having rented cars TWICE and then taking Disney Transportation several times, in my opinion, I will NEVER rent a car while at Disney World again.

My wife and I have NEVER experianced any problems with Disney Transportaion. The boats are relaxing and you cannot dispute the
the magic of The Monorails.

I have read several posts over the last 3 years about bad experiances with The Disney Buses/Drivers. My wife and I however, have been to Disney World 11 times in the last 10 years and have NEVER EVER had any problems with the Bus transportation. The buses have always arrived in a timely manner, and the Bus Drivers have always been kind, helpful and courteous. I have, however, seen several examples of rude behaviour on the part of the Park Guests.

Being the Driver, as opposed to letting someone else do the driving is WAY more stressful in my opinion.

Gas prices, Car Rental Prices, and The high cost of car rental Insurance are also a factor in out transportion decisions.

While I certainly understand why not renting a car is not an option for some people because of certain circumstances, if people ask me if they should or shouldn't rent a car while in Disney World, I will always tell them NOT to rent one.

The two times we DID rent a car, it just sat in the resort parking lot for the whole week of our vacation. What a waste of money THAT was!

I say relax, enjoy, and let Disney do the Driving!
:sohappy:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We have never met an unfriendly driver at WDW and we also love the boats. We rent a car because we like to keep our own schedules( although it is getting easier now that the kids are older.)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Scooter, I cant agree with you more!!!! I usually dont rent a car when I go to Disney, which takes a lot of the hassle out of the trip for me. I dont mind waiting for the busses and I dont think I have had any real horror stories. Remember people relax you are on vacation!!!!!!!!!
Cost is a HUGE facotr in that decision. I dont feel it is worth over $210 for a moderate type of rental car ( That was the price in October when I went with my two friends) The girls always rent a car primarily to be able to go off property and travel without waiting for a bus. I have no interest in going off property and as I said before busses dont bother me! While I understad their feelings and reasons, I dont agree with them so I choose not to rent. Just my very humble opinion. Belle

Upvote 0

maelstrom

We usually drive down, but we leave the car in the hotel parking lot until we go off property. We like to go to Old Town and Belz and down I-drive (oh, and the Olive Garden on 192 which is the best Olive Garden anywhere). This trip we are flying and renting a car. But I think you only need to rent a car if you like to do those things off property. I think that Disney transportation is great.

Upvote 0

polyman 65

We always rent a car,Disney has the best roads and no traffic.I wish our roads where half as good as WDW.We use boats and monorails at certain times but never the buses.We prefer to come and go as we please and not to ride with the masses.FYI you dont need rental car insurance if you already have car insurance check with your agent to be sure,it could save you some$$ also we havent found the gas to be any higher than at home.We rent a car for a week and never leave property only to the airport to leave.Everyone has there favorite way of getting around the world and we prefer the car,we have never had a problem with the busses just to slow for us.

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

Oh we still use some on property transportation. For example, when we go see Hoop-De-Doo, we'll drive from the CBR to the TTC, catch a ferry or monorial over to the MK, maybe ride a few rides and take a ferry to Hoop-De-Doo.

I agree that we like being able to come and go as we please and not wait in line for busses.

The drivers have all been very nice though! Just a personal choice. Also, confusing as the roads there can be, they are usually empty when we go, and we like to drive, so it's not stressful at all! :) We usually hoof it from our space to the front of the parks too, instead of waiting on the tram. :) I guess we'd just rather be walking then standing still waiting for a bus!

One advantage to the bus, if you're talkative, you meet some interesting folks from all over the world! But then again - we get the same experience talking at the Teppanyaki tables (and we get awesome food with that! He he he).

5 more days! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

luvorlando

The only time we use anything other than Disney transportation is to get to and from the airport and to drive to Universal. :)

If we are going to US just 1 day, we use a town car service. If we are going US 2 or more days, we rent a car for the entire trip.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

The last time I rented a car (6 years ago), it sat in the parking lot all week. We used it once to go to the Olive Garden. After that it was Tiffanytowncar all the way. I don't mind riding the buses, it gives me the opportunity to talk to new people. Yes it is crowded, but that's part of what I expect when I go to the world. As far as having PS's at other resorts, if its' real early - take a cab. We had a PS for breakfast at AKL's Boma last year while staying at ASM. Total cost $4.50, total time - maybe 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
to each his own on this one....

some people like the power to make their own schedule... and know that driving themselves around the parks will save time.

others know that you don't want to be hassled with driving when you're on vacation.

Everyone knows something the other doesn't.

I know I don't like to rely on others for transportation.

Upvote 0

Donfan

The problem I have always had with having a car there is trying to remember where it's parked in the parking lots. Oh, I know. Write it down. But I get in a hurry and forget to do that. So I can never remember whether it's in Minnie or Communication or wherever. And since it's a rental, I can't even remember what it looks like. The busses are just a lot simpler and you never really have to wait very long.

Upvote 0

DisneyDugger

Car Rental vs Airport Shuttle cost

Hi All - First post ever!!

We are comimg in from Toronto Ontario for a week in early February 2004 and staying on-site at Port Orleans Riverside.

(BTW - We Canadains are getting an "At-Par" $$ deal right now for bookings between Jan -May /04. We booked in for $1865 US for 5 Dream Maker Packages at PORS. Is that a good price or have we been hooked by good marketing?? )

Back to the topic - We are reviewing the prices of transportation.
A WDW shuttle from/to the MCO airport for the 5 of us is $130US ($180CND). And then we have no other transport to go off-site other than cabbies or LYNX.

A full size car rental with Alamo can be had for $190US ($270CND) plus $30 insurance rider on my personal insurance ploicy.
So for an extra $60US we can have the luxury of a car at out disposal and doing what we want when we want. We are planning to go the Coco Beach/ Kennedy Space Centre anyways so the rental was pretty much required!?!

BUT is there cheaper shuttle services out there?
And we would welcome any other thoughts too!!

Thanks,
DisneyDugger from the Great White North

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Actually there are twoncar services that can accomodate your party for about $80.00 round trip to and from the airport. Are you planning on going off campus? If so, the rental car deal you got may be a better idea!!! Good luck whichever you decide!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom