Removal of Spacehip Earth Possible?

head2toewinner

Original Poster
Everyone is saying that 22 years is a long time to have 1 ride in a park. I have heard rumors from an imagineer at WDW about them possibly removing the Spaceship earth track and putting in a new ride(Hopefully the stupid want will dissappear in the process). Anyway he said tyhey are talking about the track possibly leaving the ball at the end of the ride and some fast parts. Disney fast, not universal or paramount fast. If so the new ride sounds superb but I love spaceship earth so much.

WDFAN1977

Are they saying that they are getting rid of the ride inside of spaceship earth or spaceship earth all together? :confused:I think it would be great to put something new inside of spaceship earth but to get rid of spaceship earth itself is ridiculous.:mad:

imagineer boy

*sigh* Its been discussed before. IT'S NOT HAPPENING. The only thing that's happening is a new post show replacing global neighborhood.

basas

He might have been talking about the Time Racers proposal that was proposed several years ago to take over SSE but i think most of it has been known to have been scrapped (except maybe as a POST-show)....anyways- i doubt its going anywhere anytime soon.

no2apprentice

head2toewinner said:
Everyone is saying that 22 years is a long time to have 1 ride in a park.
Really? Let's talk WDW...

Haunted Mansion...............33 years
Jungle Cruise.....................33 years
Country Bear Jamboree........33 years
Space Mountain.................29 years
Carousel of Progress............32 years
Snow White's Adventure......33 years
It's a Small World................33 years
Peter Pan's Flight................33 years
Big Thunder Mountain..........24 years

And as far as Spaceship Earth...here's some information.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=44572&highlight=time+racers

General Grizz

Disney did want to change the structure for SE - and have the ride leave from the sphere - but every day it seems more and more likely they will only "update" the attraction rather than alter it significantly (which wouldn't have been fast physically, but more fast-paced with screen technology, etc).

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Everyone is saying that 22 years is a long time to have 1 ride in a park. I have heard rumors from an imagineer at WDW about them possibly removing the Spaceship earth track and putting in a new ride(Hopefully the stupid want will dissappear in the process). Anyway he said tyhey are talking about the track possibly leaving the ball at the end of the ride and some fast parts. Disney fast, not universal or paramount fast. If so the new ride sounds superb but I love spaceship earth so much.

:brick: :brick:

:lol:

(by the way --- welcome to WDWMagic! :wave: )

rainfully

Maybe sometime down the road but not anytime soon! The project would be too big of an undertaking to make any major changes at this time. But I can definitely see them doing something drastic eventually.

Cosmo

i love Spaceship Earth. I wouldn't want to see a rollercoaster or ride like that take its place. Certainly, some parts of the attraction can be updated to reflect new technology, but other than that, I think it should stay the same (well, maybe a little WD-40 on the track now and again! :lol: )

wdwjmp239

Time-Racers Revisited?

head2toewinner said:

Spaceship Earth is an Epcot icon! Are you talking about the "Time Racers" attraction (if there is going to be one?). The last I heard, the powers that be @ Disney are just saying "No!" to Time Racers.

To find out what Time Racers is, just search for the discussion thread on this board.

Lynx04

Lets put it this way, if Disney said lets remove remove or update SSE to the point which would include: 1) Removing the structure or 2) Install a rollercoaster or take the current track system. Any of these two would require a crane and any of these two would require the park to close down for longer then 30 days, or they would have to build a completely new entrance. Why? In order to get in to the park you have to pass under Space Ship Earth. There is no way that we could pass under the construction area. Trust me there lawyers would not allow it. ;) Creating a new entrence is there only alternative, or bypassing SSE around. Also they could not back entrance as the main entrance it would not work logisticly. Drastically updating or changing SSE would require a $&% load of logistics, a lot more then we think of. Am I saying it will not happen, no. However, if and when it happens we will all know about it.

lamarvenoy

I'm not trying to bash you head2toe,I'm just politely warning you-just because someone SAYS they are an imagineer doesn't mean they ARE an imagineer. We have had plenty of trouble in the past on this sight with people who "talked" to imagineers about upcoming projects and let's just say the track records aren't great. Imagineers have VERY tight lips because they are contratually bound to silence and breaking that contract risks their jobs. Many people do have inside sources and several people here have PROVEN they have contacts but most people who got info from an imagineer they don't know turned out to be talking to themselves or a lied to. (Jon)

DarkMeasures

Lynx04 said:
Lets put it this way, if Disney said lets remove remove or update SSE to the point which would include: 1) Removing the structure or 2) Install a rollercoaster or take the current track system. Any of these two would require a crane and any of these two would require the park to close down for longer then 30 days, or they would have to build a completely new entrance. Why? In order to get in to the park you have to pass under Space Ship Earth. There is no way that we could pass under the construction area. Trust me there lawyers would not allow it. ;) Creating a new entrence is there only alternative, or bypassing SSE around. Also they could not back entrance as the main entrance it would not work logisticly. Drastically updating or changing SSE would require a $&% load of logistics, a lot more then we think of. Am I saying it will not happen, no. However, if and when it happens we will all know about it.

Well, it could be done at night. If the individual track and set pieces are small enough, there shouldn't be a problem plus, any major structural work could be done at night.

I should not that, if Spaceship Earth were to be changed to Time Racers, I would accept it if infact, the attraction kept the same story and theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom