Remember When?

Smooth

Original Poster
I might have more. But I came across these today. I guess that's why they quit doing it. Cheap souvenirs.
16997238369526666031842323305717.jpg

MickeyLuv'r

I suspect that might have been part of going to less expensive plain napkins, but they were also an inexpensive form of advertising, just like the Walt Disney ballpoint pens.

So short term, plain napkins and fewer pens cost less to buy, but then WDW loses the nearly free advertising.

I miss the napkins as well. They were one of the little touches that made WDW special.

MickeyLuv'r

I wonder how much they actually save by going to plain napkins, given the volume they purchase.
I'm sure WDW pays far less per napkin, but just to get quick idea:
I found $62 for case of 5000 custom 1-ply napkins and
plain brown for $36 for a case of 6,000
- both from same supplier: webrestaurantstore.com

One aspect of the choice is that the white napkins are bleached, but the brown ones are unbleached, so they are advertised as more eco-friendly.

Goofyernmost

I suspect that might have been part of going to less expensive plain napkins, but they were also an inexpensive form of advertising, just like the Walt Disney ballpoint pens.

So short term, plain napkins and fewer pens cost less to buy, but then WDW loses the nearly free advertising.

I miss the napkins as well. They were one of the little touches that made WDW special.
Sure, it's free advertising, but to whom? It sounds like a whole lot of preaching to the choir. You already had those that took the napkins home, so who else saw them. I can assure you that Disney T-shirts are a whole lot more effective advertising and not only is it free for them but the people bought them at high prices to advertise for them.

It's Disney T-shirts that made me realize how much of a hypocrite I am. I have worn Disney T's for years while at the same time raging against all the other shirts like Nike and the like, because I felt like a walking billboard.

JIMINYCR

There are sites that tell guests about FREE souvenirs they can get. Those guest pins that used to be out in bins at city hall are no longer out in mass. You have to go in to ask for them now. Guests were grabbing those and any printed items and taking them home by the handful. Dis was entered into a money savings mode when they started going plain on napkins. As an advertising entity, napkins, plates, pens would not entice new guests to book trips, so changing over had no harmful effect. It did give Dis a savings across property.

JoeCamel

There are sites that tell guests about FREE souvenirs they can get. Those guest pins that used to be out in bins at city hall are no longer out in mass. You have to go in to ask for them now. Guests were grabbing those and any printed items and taking them home by the handful. Dis was entered into a money savings mode when they started going plain on napkins. As an advertising entity, napkins, plates, pens would not entice new guests to book trips, so changing over had no harmful effect. It did give Dis a savings across property.
It's OK you can say her name.....

meg..

Goofyernmost

It's OK you can say her name.....

meg..

Actually one of the few logical things they (she) did. I know that it is important to some to wipe they mouth and hands with monogramed paper napkins, but it was a real waste of money and rain forests to buy stuff that everyone just steals as a free souvenir. It really was a perk with no real perkadosishusness involved except promoting larceny. Not to mention that it was stealing what was there to become trash after usage. So pre-trash!
might not be a real word. I'm just trying to be slightly braggadocious about my ability to make up words.

JoeCamel

Actually one of the few logical things they (she) did. I know that it is important to some to wipe they mouth and hands with monogramed paper napkins, but it was a real waste of money and rain forests to buy stuff that everyone just steals as a free souvenir. It really was a perk with no real perkadosishusness involved except promoting larceny. Not to mention that it was stealing what was there to become trash after usage. So pre-trash!
might not be a real word. I'm just trying to be slightly braggadocious about my ability to make up words.
Dude, she put one ply TP in the johns!!
No excuses

_caleb

Dis was entered into a money savings mode when they started going plain on napkins. As an advertising entity, napkins, plates, pens would not entice new guests to book trips, so changing over had no harmful effect.
Individually, decisions to go to plain napkins, wall-mounted shampoo, and buttons-on-request aren't really a big deal. But if you add up all the cost-cutting measures and combine them with less customer service and lots of nickel-and-diming, I'd say there's definitely been a cumulative effect that makes a Disney vacation feel both cheapened and also outrageously expensive.

JoeCamel

Fold it over and you have two ply. Do it again and have four ply, must others do everything for you? In fact you can fold to infinity if you really care to do so. There is no limit to the number of plys available to people.;)
Not the point and that is a s****y solution. What do you use in your house? Walt wanted a visit to his lands to be a step up from the normal existence and meg never understood that.

JIMINYCR

Individually, decisions to go to plain napkins, wall-mounted shampoo, and buttons-on-request aren't really a big deal. But if you add up all the cost-cutting measures and combine them with less customer service and lots of nickel-and-diming, I'd say there's definitely been a cumulative effect that makes a Disney vacation feel both cheapened and also outrageously expensive.
I don’t dispute this. But I was addressing the poster who claimed Dis was losing out on advertising by going plain on their napkins. Yes any cost cutting measures takes away what the guest was used to having and will detract from their experience. Plain napkins I doubt ruins anyone’s experience unless one counts on pilfering a gross of napkins to use at home.

MagicRat

Disney Resorts TP has always been poor. Well at least since my first trips in the mid 80’s. Before scrolling down this thread, that’s what I could think of, “why did the contemporary bathrooms have these nice napkins by the sinks and such horrible toilet paper”. Boardwalk public bathrooms used to use real hand towels.

jloucks

I'm sure WDW pays far less per napkin, but just to get quick idea:
I found $62 for case of 5000 custom 1-ply napkins and
plain brown for $36 for a case of 6,000
- both from same supplier: webrestaurantstore.com

One aspect of the choice is that the white napkins are bleached, but the brown ones are unbleached, so they are advertised as more eco-friendly.

Just over $0.01 each. I would have guessed double or triple that.

MickeyLuv'r

Sure, it's free advertising, but to whom? It sounds like a whole lot of preaching to the choir. You already had those that took the napkins home, so who else saw them. I can assure you that Disney T-shirts are a whole lot more effective advertising and not only is it free for them but the people bought them at high prices to advertise for them.

It's Disney T-shirts that made me realize how much of a hypocrite I am. I have worn Disney T's for years while at the same time raging against all the other shirts like Nike and the like, because I felt like a walking billboard.

Advertising doesn't have to reach non-customers to be effective. McDonald's, Pepsi, and Kleenex all advertise, even though just about everyone has tried their products.

(Having Coke products served at WDW is itself a kind of advertising. )

Disney customers constantly seeing the Disney logo while at WDW reinforces the image in our memory. The more we associate the WDW logo with happy memories (like going on a ride), the more we want to return.

MickeyLuv'r

Just over $0.01 each. I would have guessed double or triple that.
Have you ever looked up the wholesale price of t-shirts? It is pretty crazy how inexpensive they are compared to the mark-ups we often see in retail stores, and that's just buying a few shirts from a wholesaler. Not hard to find them for under $3. Big companies like Disney and Walmart get them for insanely low prices per shirt.

harryk

Have you ever looked up the wholesale price of t-shirts? It is pretty crazy how inexpensive they are compared to the mark-ups we often see in retail stores, and that's just buying a few shirts from a wholesaler. Not hard to find them for under $3. Big companies like Disney and Walmart get them for insanely low prices per shirt.
My family has T-Shirts going back to the 70's that get regular wearing. They just don't seem to wear out. Not a bad product. Hopefully the quality will continue to stand up and that they don't begin cutting quality here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom