Remember The Mickey Mouse Revue?

4 Park Central

Original Poster
I was just checking out the next issue of the LP Magazine and I noticed that they are covering The Mickey Mouse Revue (amongst a host of other WDW-related stuff):

http://www.talesfromthelaughingplace.com/TalesfromtheLaughingPlaceIssue15.html

I saw the show in Tokyo but wondered if anyone remembers the show from Florida. I didn't know whether it was the same.

I must admit I can't wait for the Back to Neverland piece either. I loved that show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep. The Tokyo show actually was the Orlando show. It closed in WDW in 1980 and was shipped to Japan for TDLs 1983 opening. I saw it in `79 in Orlando. Apparently.

Mousebits.com has video of both TMMR and also Back to Neverland (and also The Lottery!)

4 Park Central

Original Poster
I'll have to check out the video to compare.

The article has the original Mickey Mouse maquette it seems and some of the original WDW artwork. I love how the designer included the old WDW "D" logo in that opening spread!

I wonder if they destroyed the AAs when removing them for PhilharMagic in Tokyo?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just saw the show in January in Tokyo...the most startling thing was the preshow movie which hadn't looked updated since the original show opened! Straight out of the 70's!

But the show itself was quite good, I wish they could have kept the same style show and just updated it over the years, but oh well.

EPCOT Explorer

I just saw the show in January in Tokyo...the most startling thing was the preshow movie which hadn't looked updated since the original show opened! Straight out of the 70's!

But the show itself was quite good, I wish they could have kept the same style show and just updated it over the years, but oh well.

What was it, "The first original Mickey Mouse" and all? :lol:

_Scar

I only have seen it on Youtube, but I can imagine it freaking me out a bit as a child if I had seen this (it freaked me out now, actually :D). I still love PhilharMagic, and it's probably the best 3D show I've seen though. I think they could redo this style show with all new advanced AAs and really have an awesome show. Perhaps in VotLM's showroom in DHS...

4 Park Central

Original Poster
I only have seen it on Youtube, but I can imagine it freaking me out a bit as a child if I had seen this (it freaked me out now, actually :D). I still love PhilharMagic, and it's probably the best 3D show I've seen though. I think they could redo this style show with all new advanced AAs and really have an awesome show. Perhaps in VotLM's showroom in DHS...

Me too. I noticed that the magazine also has an interview with the writer for PhilharMagic which should be a fun piece. I don't ever recalling reading anything about how the show came to be......

jrriddle

Remember it and loved it! Love Philharmagic as well. I wonder what they will do with all the AAs when it's taken out of TDL?

Animaniac93-98

Some ideas in WDW for example:

Put the Alice flower AAs around the teacups

Put the Pooh characters in the new queue

Put Snow White and her animal friends in her ride (but not the dwarves since the ones in there now are duplicates, at least to a certain degree, of the MMR figures)

I hope those AAs do find new homes or are recycled in some form.

jrriddle

Put Snow White and her animal friends in her ride (but not the dwarves since the ones in there now are duplicates, at least to a certain degree, of the MMR figures)

I read a rumour a while back about the 3 caballeros AAs being put into the finale of Gran Fiesta Tour

EPCOT Explorer

Put the AA Mickey in Philhar for his scenes and have it interact with the screen....:D :lookaroun
I read a rumour a while back about the 3 caballeros AAs being put into the finale of Gran Fiesta Tour
Unfortunately, it's just a rumor. :(

MeTa

For a show that was in the 70-80's those AA's dont look too bad. Very fluid like and realistic to the animated characters we are used to. Either that or the video clouds everything I just said.

champdisney

I agree with everyone who feels that the old MMR AA's should be recycled in some shape or form. I wasn't around when MMR was in WDW but I do remember the Lion King show that was once there, I loved that show. The only thing I seen of MMR was videos but I too was impressed of how great those AA's looked in that time period. Now with MMR closed in TDL to make way for PhilarMagic it only makes sense to recycle those AA's which I can see happening since Disney has in fact recycled old AA's before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom