Rejuvenation Spots in the Parks - Idea for Disney Theme Parks

World Traveler

Original Poster
I had this thought two days ago as I was walking in the Magic Kingdom, listening to stressed out parents lose it at children baking in their 90+ degree strollers.

Why does Disney not put in some rejuvenation spots for parents where they can drop off children at a large playground area for thirty minutes or so, and they can grab a massage chair and a foot massaging mini-jet tub along with a few cold drinks? Charge people $5.00 for 15 minutes and I'll guarantee you it would make money and improve temperaments. They could do a test run in the Adventureland Veranda and work out the kinks. I would think Disney would love this idea too as it would keep people in the parks and away from the mid-day hotel run out of the heat.

What do you guys think?

- Traveler

drossjr

I had this thought two days ago as I was walking in the Magic Kingdom, listening to stressed out parents lose it at children baking in their 90+ degree strollers.

Why does Disney not put in some rejuvenation spots for parents where they can drop off children at a large playground area for thirty minutes or so, and they can grab a massage chair and a foot massaging mini-jet tub along with a few cold drinks? Charge people $5.00 for 15 minutes and I'll guarantee you it would make money and improve temperaments. They could do a test run in the Adventureland Veranda and work out the kinks. I would think Disney would love this idea too as it would keep people in the parks and away from the mid-day hotel run out of the heat.

What do you guys think?

- Traveler

Like your idea but why does Disney care about people leaving mid-day for a hotel break??? They already have your money?? :shrug:

dreamfinder

Isn't this what many parents already do with the water jet fountains scattered through the parks? Tell the kids to go play while they sit on the planters and talk to each other?

Donfan

This was also one of the functions served by the 100 Acre Wood Playground in the MK that so many people disliked. It is gone now, but it was a great place to let kids burn off some steam while their parents just vegetated for a little while.

PalisadesPkteer

Tom Sawyer Island is a great place for the kids to let off steam as well.

Problem there is so many entrances exits for tunnels maybe.

Shrunk the kids area at DHS soon to be bugs land theme. I guess the seas with nemo at EPCOT bongo drums at AK. Don't have any kids so I haven't been paying close attention.

Chevross

Just build something like a McDonald's playland and right next to it (and in view of the children) build the rejuvenation area. That way you can relax while your little kids are sliding down the slides and you are kinda close to them.

World Traveler

Original Poster
Yeah, the basic idea is that it's a spot with a McDonald's Playplace style play area where parents can drop the kids off while still watching them, but its also inside so there's air conditioning. Add in massage chairs and mini-jet tubs to put your feet in and I think you would have a real hit. This is much better than existing attractions like HIStK playground because it gets parents out of the sun and let's them relax in a very comfy chair. I would also put a non-alcoholic drink bar in there...

It's 90 degrees, you drop the kids off at the playground indoors, hop in a massage chair, put your feet in a jet tub in front of you, and order a frappaccino. Does that sound appealing to anyone else? Like I said, if they ran a test run of this in the Adventureland Veranda, I think it would be a HUGE hit.

nolatron

If the kids are between 4 and 12 years old, use one of the childcare centers on property, like the Neverland Club at the Poly. Something like $11/hour.

Edit: Just remembered these places open at like 4pm. But still an option if you're going crazy with the kiddies by the afternoon. :)

fosse76

What do you guys think?

- Traveler
Six Flags does this (the one by me does, anyway). You can rent a "villa" for sets amount of time. It's air conditioned with lounge furniture and a flat panel tv. I don't recall the prices as being too expensive. They have a massage service elsewhere in the park.

That said, Disney wouldn't do this. The incentive for staying on property is that it is (theoretically) easier to go back to your room for a break.

Courtney1188

I agree with the poster saying that reliable childcare is going to cost a lot more than $5 every 15 minutes to provide. In the end, I don't think they'd make any money.

LoriMistress

You could save more money by just leaving the park to go back to your resort during the early afternoon so you could avoid the heat and plenty of mental breakdowns.

parkgoer

the problem is only half the parents would use the childcare, and the other half would let their childeren run around like on any otherday in the parks.

what's with that?

ewensell3

Like your idea but why does Disney care about people leaving mid-day for a hotel break??? They already have your money?? :shrug:

If they are on a bus going to a hotel, sitting/sleeping at a hotel, and taking a bus back to the park that is like two hours they are not walking through gift shops or standing in line for an ice cream and dropping more money into the tills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom