News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thus the evilness of this plan. Adults budgeting a trip can eliminate the cost of a Poly stay quite easily, given a cheaper option with more Disney theming may go over better with their children. However now they have to face the emotional reaction of children not getting to stay in the "Moana Hotel". Now the pressure is on to spend that $650 a night and keep the kiddos happy.
Anyone that falls for that “pressure” deserves automatic bankruptcy

Smiley/OCD

We were supposed to stay at Poly for our second Disneymoon the first week of December...but with the closure, and the new resort discounts announced today, we are now staying at the Grand Floridan the same week and saved 1500 dollars with the AP discount. It's not our first choice, (a little too "frou frou" for us), but hey, you only live once and if the Tanners could stay there on "Full House", why not us?

Brer Panther

Please, Disney. Consider the coconut.
I've got a lovely bunch of them, there they are a-standing in a row. Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head...

But it cracks me up that TDO will want to add characters into themes from a movie 4 years ago. Why now.
They're retheming Splash Mountain to a movie from ELEVEN years ago. Somehow, I doubt they care about how old the movie is. Plus, it apparently made a lot of money at the box office, so...

Side note, whatever happened to that rumor about the Tiki Room receiving a Moana overlay?

aladdin2007

I've got a lovely bunch of them, there they are a-standing in a row. Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head...

They're retheming Splash Mountain to a movie from ELEVEN years ago. Somehow, I doubt they care about how old the movie is. Plus, it apparently made a lot of money at the box office, so...

Side note, whatever happened to that rumor about the Tiki Room receiving a Moana overlay?

don't know but it thankfully went quiet.

Flynnwriter

Do not ruin the Poly with Moana! The public areas are perfect! Yes - the hotel lodges are dates and sad - but don’t touch Kona cafe, ohana, or the lobby!

Animaniac93-98

I am all for some little touches. But it cracks me up that TDO will want to add characters into themes from a movie 4 years ago. Why now. You don't have to put IP into everything.. Save that money. Just paint! lol

Moana and Tiana, like Snow White [Seven Dwarfs Mine Train] are all official Disney Princesses*. Putting more representation of these movies in the parks and resorts not only fits the IP mandate, but the franchise one too.

No, it doesn't make sense to add IP to a hotel's rooms that have been successfully sold for 50 years without them, but this is Disney. If people keep paying the rates after this change, they'll consider it a great idea...even if they would have likely sold without the Moana branding.

*For those wondering the current line up is: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida, Moana...and look what movie Disney has been hyping non-stop for weeks! Frozen is it's own separate license for Disney to sell

Yert3

I don't get the "anti-IP" stance either. It's what makes them Disney IMO.
Because Disney is more than just their movies (or at least it used to be). Without that creative freedom, we wouldn’t have classics Like Haunted Mansion, It’s a Small World, Enchanted Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain. Now they’re making movies (or already have) about a lot of these attractions. Probably with the intention of retroactively ruining them with a retheme to promote their movie.

They did this with pirates way back when to test the waters, and unfortunately, the public bought it. To Disney, This was the public giving them permission to ruin all of the other classics as well. They failed miserably with Haunted Mansion, but it looks like they’re making yet another movie, so now they have their chance to possibly ruin that as well.

Epcot when it opened in 1982 was (and possibly still is) the best thing Disney has ever created, and it was all original content. Not a single attraction based on an IP.

YorkshireT

To be honest I don’t blame them. They don’t exploit the IP in the hotels nearly enough. They’d be able to convert IP into cash - for example the kids may want to stay in ‘Moana’ and as a result it attracts a premium price over Polynesian themed hotel and also gives it something no other hotel can attempt to copy.
Look how popular the Toy Story hotel is in China.

Tuvalu

I'm a little confused. Is the entire resort close or only the non-dvc one?
Currently the three DVC buildings and the bungalows are open for guests. The non DVC longhouses are closed. Both pools are open as is the GCH (including gift stores, Kona, Cooks and Tambu Lounge).

When the monorail station will close....and the order/timing of the refurb of the GCH (and if it will close completely or only certain areas at a time)....is unclear.

John park hopper

How about a retrorefub ----put the original fountain back in the Polynesian Resort
waterfall-Disney-disneyworld-wdw-waltdisneyworld-waterfountain-polynesian-polynesianresort-dis...jpg

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

We were supposed to stay at Poly for our second Disneymoon the first week of December...but with the closure, and the new resort discounts announced today, we are now staying at the Grand Floridan the same week and saved 1500 dollars with the AP discount. It's not our first choice, (a little too "frou frou" for us), but hey, you only live once and if the Tanners could stay there on "Full House", why not us?
I have to ask, is a Disney moon a honeymoon? You can have two ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom