News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

Lirael

I'm imagining something similar to POR for rooms: you get the "cheapest" rooms with basic Polynesian theme, but then there's the ultra special (aka expensive) rooms that will be Moana and thereabouts themed, like the Tiana Princess Room

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My guess is that someone in the suit department woke up and realized that being an entertainment company doesn't necessarily include owning a bunch of hotels.

The question in my mind: who is the ultimate buyer... Marriott? Hilton? IHG?

JoeCamel

My guess is that someone in the suit department woke up and realized that being an entertainment company doesn't necessarily include owning a bunch of hotels.

Not IHG, they are sick

Epcot82Guy

I'm beginning to think that's the end game of this whole IP invasion. They want to sell it all off with as much licensed material as possible within it to justify the licensing royalty fees they will attempt to charge. Which I really hope doesn't come to pass, based on current trends. (Not that the OLC model couldn't work. I just don't trust current management to choose the right partner.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the resort isn’t open now, does the monorail stop there right now? Just curious, I haven’t been on it since January or so.
Yes the monorail stop at the Poly is currently operational.

I'm currently booked in deluxe villa for Feb 2020 and I'm wondering what will come of our reservation. This is not a DVC reservation, so I'm guessing we'll eventually be notified that we're being moved to another resort.
All DVC rooms at the Poly (except the bungalows) are categorized as studio villas. If you booked a villa direct through Disney or rented DVC points from a member or reseller, you are good to go and won’t be moved.

If you booked a standard room (non DVC) you will be moved.

Monorail platform area will be redesigned (I'm guessing more room and a rework of the security area - I'm sure they don't want it backing into the building on busy mornings).
This ^^^. Security screening (and temperature screening) have been moved from the platform into the GCH, just inside the doors. I did not attempt taking a picture because security frowns upon that and will ask the pic to be deleted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I'm beginning to think that's the end game of this whole IP invasion. They want to sell it all off with as much licensed material as possible within it to justify the licensing royalty fees they will attempt to charge. Which I really hope doesn't come to pass, based on current trends. (Not that the OLC model couldn't work. I just don't trust current management to choose the right partner.)

...this has been the direction the “long game” has pointed for a long time.

...it may be to have that “option” to present to investors behind the scenes - but it seems to be deliberate nonetheless.

HouCuseChickie

All DVC rooms at the Poly (except the bungalows) are categorized as studio villas. If you booked a villa direct through Disney or rented DVC points from a member or reseller, you are good to go and won’t be moved.

If you booked a standard room (non DVC) you will be moved.

The big question...do I really want to stay there if the vast majority of the resort is closed? Obviously a personal decision, but probably better use of my $ to change resorts.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The big question...do I really want to stay there if the vast majority of the resort is closed? Obviously a personal decision, but probably better use of my $ to change resorts.
Understand. We just got back from a week’s stay and had a wonderful time, but going forward with no monorail service and the unknowns of what is going to be done to the GCH and restaurants, we’d likely stay someplace else.

MrHappy

Understand. We just got back from a week’s stay and had a wonderful time, but going forward with no monorail service and the unknowns of what is going to be done to the GCH and restaurants, we’d likely stay someplace else.
I’m locked in through David’s for May 1 (8 nights), it was the rescheduled of a trip this past May. I’m hoping by then all monorail service will be back, at least the TTC/EPCOT line, and Ohana will be open, with no other closures that are currently open. I’d imagine the GCH will be a priority vs cash rooms. And the monorail service is probably contingent upon Covid #s and attendance.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I am all for some little touches. But it cracks me up that TDO will want to add characters into themes from a movie 4 years ago. Why now. You don't have to put IP into everything.. Save that money. Just paint! lol
It needs to be ready in time for Moana 2.

Seriously though that movie is part of the communal base knowledge for 3-12 year olds today like Aladdin was when I was a kid. It's going to be a big deal for the next 30 years.

Riverrafter21

It needs to be ready in time for Moana 2.

Seriously though that movie is part of the communal base knowledge for 3-12 year olds today like Aladdin was when I was a kid. It's going to be a big deal for the next 30 years.

Thus the evilness of this plan. Adults budgeting a trip can eliminate the cost of a Poly stay quite easily, given a cheaper option with more Disney theming may go over better with their children. However now they have to face the emotional reaction of children not getting to stay in the "Moana Hotel". Now the pressure is on to spend that $650 a night and keep the kiddos happy.

But here I am telling you water is wet

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom