News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

vikescaper

So, which Porte cochere update project was better? Caribbean Beach or Poly’s?

Attachments

• 45C46104-1D4A-4849-AFF3-BFC703B949A0.jpeg
    45C46104-1D4A-4849-AFF3-BFC703B949A0.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 80

Disstevefan1

I will say it feel good to see something getting finished.

It makes sense they completed this being a deluxe resort while we still have dirt piles and walls in EPCOT, as this deluxe resort is more important..

Just for a laugh, I checked for availability, there is no theme park view rooms available for the 12th to the 18th, but you can get a pool view for $667 a night..

DC0703

Surround the circular cement columns with square themed wooden cover and it would look better. Also I’m trying to convince myself that the floating orb things are a supply chain issue stand in till they can get ones that match the lobby.
I was wondering this myself, regarding the orbs. The orb lights used elsewhere in the resort are much better themed than this. These lights look oddly like a bunch of balloons. Despite the fact that the entrance is opened, they may still be doing work on it during off hours.

UNCgolf

I was wondering this myself, regarding the orbs. The orb lights used elsewhere in the resort are much better themed than this. These lights look oddly like a bunch of balloons. Despite the fact that the entrance is opened, they may still be doing work on it during off hours.

It's certainly possible, but it doesn't really make sense that they would go to the trouble of putting those lights up if they were going to be temporary. They'd have been better off just waiting until they had the final product ready.

Clamman73

It just goes to show how different people can look at the same thing and see something wildly different, I guess.

Personally, though, I don't know how people are looking at these two things and seeing similar levels of quality:

View attachment 586445

View attachment 586446
One thing that stands out to me now is the lack of “wood texture” to the beams and supports.
C6A94AC1-3E80-4106-8D59-AC1D76438067.jpeg

TrojanUSC

Literally came on here to say this. At the Poly earlier saw at least three groups asking a CM or themselves what the balloons were for.

51324EC4-0179-4938-AB99-7E64847E00FB.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

I get what they were going for, but what happened? Maybe too many Covid related zoom meetings messed it up? That’s what I blame for the incredibles rooms too.
“It looked good in the zoom meeting I swear!” :)

Another side note - has Disney stopped caring about the ceilings? That’s just an exposed metal ceiling. They did the same thing when they rebuilt the roof for the flights of wonder amphitheater. It used to be really nice Asian tapestry / fabric that draped down. Now it’s just bare metal. Of course... let’s look at all the exposed warehouse buildings. :-/

lazyboy97o

I get what they were going for, but what happened? Maybe too many Covid related zoom meetings messed it up? That’s what I blame for the incredibles rooms too.
It has nothing to do with remote work. Looking at 3D models and PDFs on a computer screen, which were already the norm, isn’t going to fool someone into thinking that a brown steel beem looks like wood. These types of poor design decisions have been occurring more and more for years.

TrojanUSC

Another side note - has Disney stopped caring about the ceilings? That’s just an exposed metal ceiling. They did the same thing when they rebuilt the roof for the flights of wonder amphitheater. It used to be really nice Asian tapestry / fabric that draped down. Now it’s just bare metal. Of course... let’s look at all the exposed warehouse buildings. :-/

Said this upwards somewhere but its like they whatever modicum of design that went into this was only into the exterior and they totally forgot that guests would be driving (and stopping) under it.

Reminds me of the old Streets of America, where you could see all the un-themed metal support structures - but there it was a deliberate design element as you were supposed to be able to see "behind the scenes."

castlecake2.0

Exactly lol

lazyboy97o

Ceilings are hard. They’re not sexy but they require a lot of work, especially if you want anything hanging from them. Even in this project where they didn’t bother to coordinate even the basic bare necessities. If you go back and look at the photos of the Wilderness Lodge you’ll notice that there are similar up-turned fire sprinklers, but they are parallel to the wood [pattern] on the ceiling helping them to blend in. Here at the Polynesian the metal roof deck spans in a different direction at the porte-cochère and the monorail station, and in each case the fire sprinklers are a contrasting color running perpendicular to the ribbing of the metal deck making them all the more obvious since they break the larger pattern.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom