News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

matt9112

I interpret the somewhat modernised feel as deliberate—they're going for a more streamlined look rather than something that tries to pass itself off as an actual wooden structure. Based on the pictures, I like what I'm seeing overall, though I can certainly understand where some of the negative assessments are coming from. The only thing that I find really objectionable is the netting in which the spheres are suspended.

I agree at face value it's a big step up but definitely not perfect. I think disney has sanitized alot of things with refurbs. It is what it is. There mind and direction is made up. This instance is the least of my concerns.

TrojanUSC

Thanks for posting the mock up. This just proves my point. Let’s look at the finished product which includes:

1)Richly detailed artwork on the roof panels
2)Detail and design on the columns so they do not appear to be solid concrete pillars.
3) A variety of textures and surfaces to add complexity.

ED518F01-6ED5-44B3-AF04-6B005D94A0DA.jpeg

By comparison, the new Polynesian entrance has corrugated metal and unthemed support beams. No rich detailing to be found.

577668C8-546F-4D60-B591-3CBB00E51797.jpeg

Reminds me of the old backlot tour where you could see all the unthemed supports for the facades. The inside of this looks like the designers forgot that once you drove into the structure, you’d still be “onstage.”

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Thanks for posting the mock up. This just proves my point. Let’s look at the finished product which includes:

2)Detail and design on the columns so they do not appear to be solid concrete pillars.

View attachment 586383

By comparison, the new Polynesian entrance has corrugated metal and unthemed support beams. No rich detailing to be found.

View attachment 586384

Reminds me of the old backlot tour where you could see all the unthemed supports for the facades. The inside of this looks like you’ve stepped backstage.

The hanging lights (is that what they are?) actually make it look even more like a warehouse because of the overall unfinished/industrial appearance of everything else, especially since it's just black netting.

Little Green Men

View attachment 586383

View attachment 586384

Reminds me of the old backlot tour where you could see all the unthemed supports for the facades. The inside of this looks like the designers forgot that once you drove into the structure, you’d still be “onstage.”
Theres clearly white in the Aulani version. Ones inside the building, the other is a carport.

Support beams for both structures but whatever floats your boat
0D12EB20-6C3B-4533-84BE-059D20171930.jpeg

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Theres clearly white in the Aulani version. Ones inside the building, the other is a carport.

Support beams for both structures but whatever floats your boat View attachment 586404

I don't know why you keep posting pictures of Aulani -- even people who like the way the Polynesian looks couldn't possibly argue that it looks even 1/10th as good as Aulani. It makes the Polynesian look bad almost by default.

TrojanUSC

Support beams for both structures but whatever floats your boat View attachment 586404

Where do you see any white untinted concrete like on the monorail platform? Where do you see exposed support metal support beams (that aren’t attempted to be masked as wood)?

Even the underside of the “wood” on the outside of the lobby structure is painted to keep the illusion. While the metal support beams are dressed to look like wooden beams.

D3CE61DA-F03F-4B87-87B5-8575B76EB36D.jpeg

This Polynesian build looks nothing like this. It looks industrial and rushed.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom