Refunds or cancellations of Disney World Annual Passes

DisneyJoe

I think that extending the pass by the number of days that the parks are closed is a bad solution, because not everyone can drop everything and go any time of year. For example, if someone purchased the pass in August with the intent to go then and again in March, it doesn't help that person to have the pass extended to October or even November. I think that some better solutions would be to either:

1. Give the AP holders a prorated refund for the amount of time that the parks were closed.
2. Give AP holders the option to use the extra days anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
3. Don't extend the APs, but give the AP holders 4,5 or 6 day hopper tickets which can be used anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
4. Allow AP holders access to the parks during the same period that the parks are closed in the following year (March 12--??? 2021).

Any chance of any of these options happening?
I'd say no chance of #3 happening due to the cost of a 4 to 6 day flexible use ticket.

DisneyPrinc3ss

If there is no chance of #3 happening, then there certainly is no chance of #2 happening, because that's essentially a much longer flexible use ticket. I actually think that #3 is the fairest and easiest option.

durangojim

I think that extending the pass by the number of days that the parks are closed is a bad solution, because not everyone can drop everything and go any time of year. For example, if someone purchased the pass in August with the intent to go then and again in March, it doesn't help that person to have the pass extended to October or even November. I think that some better solutions would be to either:

1. Give the AP holders a prorated refund for the amount of time that the parks were closed.
2. Give AP holders the option to use the extra days anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
3. Don't extend the APs, but give the AP holders 4,5 or 6 day hopper tickets which can be used anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
4. Allow AP holders access to the parks during the same period that the parks are closed in the following year (March 12--??? 2021).

None of these things will happen.

Polydweller

If you worked for the right company, which I did, you could join the Magic Kingdom Club...

Unfortunately that ended in 2000.
By the lat 80s, I think it was about then, anyone, worldwide, could be members for a fee. We were that way. But then Disney dropped the club somewhere around 2000 to go with Chase Visa card holders which meant only Americans were eligible. Have never forgiven them for that one it’s like everyone else was meaningless to them. Why not worldwide visa or MasterCard?

ImperfectPixie

By the lat 80s, I think it was about then, anyone, worldwide, could be members for a fee. We were that way. But then Disney dropped the club somewhere around 2000 to go with Chase Visa card holders which meant only Americans were eligible. Have never forgiven them for that one it’s like everyone else was meaningless to them. Why not worldwide visa or MasterCard?
And why not something not tied to a credit card...

donsullivan

Premium Member

Most of the scenarios you describe above are so complicated to actually administer in the real world they are not practical. Your example would require them to manually administer the new end dates of countless number of AP's to accommodate specific demands of multitudes of guests. In your example of give me the same week next year; what if your schedule changes and you could not come the same week next year? Would you be looking for them to create a new window for you and move the tickets again. What about price increases between now and then? While it may not be your intention, there would be any number of people who would try and abuse these conditions to 'scam' Disney. Trust me, the Internet would find the loopholes and exploit them.

The extension of expiration dates by the number of days the purchased product was not available seems to be the most practical solution with equal benefit/impact to all pass holders.

celluloid

You know what is going to last longer than all of this? Memories of the customer/guests.(and now a lot of CMS)They may not always care when a ride is not working the way it sould, or a few less breads on the table, but everyone will recognize bad handling and reaching for pennies as the long term dollars fly over their heads. This is the reason Disney will have a harder time returning to normal after this. The way they treated people.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
You know what is going to last longer than all of this? Memories of the customer/guests.(and now a lot of CMS)They may not always care when a ride is not working the way it sould, or a few less breads on the table, but everyone will recognize bad handling and reaching for pennies as the long term dollars fly over their heads. This is the reason Disney will have a harder time returning to normal after this. The way they treated people.
I'd guess most people remember how a company handles the human side of things during difficult times. We were at WDW during Hurricane Irma and remember being glad about how Disney handled things back then.

I hope Disney is in talks about also finding ways to be fair and considerate towards guests and employees, during this time.

doctornick

In what way are they "reaching for pennies" with this? I guess I'm surprised as why people would think/expect Disney to do something beyond what they are doing (expending the months of the AP corresponding to the amount of time closed seems very fair).

donsullivan

Premium Member

I'm failing to understand how Disney is treating people badly in this (specifically extending AP entitlement dates) or any of their other actions on this. Yes, they re not communicating at the rate that some would prefer but they came out pretty quick with the plan for AP's right from the start and that plan was automatically adaptable to whatever their re-opening date is. Any pass holder knows that their AP will be automatically extended to a new renewal date equal to their original expiration date plus the number of days the parks are closed. That seems a totally reasonable response.

You can choose to have that discussion in other areas and other topics but I'm completely missing how they are treating people badly here with automatic extension of AP's

celluloid

In what way are they "reaching for pennies" with this? I guess I'm surprised as why people would think/expect Disney to do something beyond what they are doing (expending the months of the AP corresponding to the amount of time closed seems very fair).

It is fair, we are talking about communication of the odeal and cancelations or suspension of monthly payments. By not communicating. Official announcements would mean many more would be canceling. You know a company looks a lot better to stock market results when they hold onto money for longer right? They do not want anyone to run on their cancelations as if they are a run on the bank losing a bunch of deposits and payments people have made into the thousands for their families, times that by potentially millions. They can't even officially announce any closure dates in the month only four days away properly. Yes, we can all infer but lack of communication is bad guest service for themselves and their CMS.
The canceling of the APS one can argue a lot of different meathods. Obviously, crediting with more time is the best anyone can do in this unforseen circumstance beyond their control, but if people paid monthly are denied a hold on payments until the parks resume operation, than that is bad form that can be avoided and should be accomodated. Those are the "pennies" the company is keeping now and avoiding future visits from the families.

DisneyPrinc3ss

I don't think that most of these suggestions are difficult to administer. But ignoring point 1 because I don't think that Disney is in a position to start handing out cash now, I can't imagine that it's too difficult to program all existing passes to work at this same time last year. But it's true that not everyone's schedule is the same year to year, so that's why I think that programming a extra 5-day pass for each AP holder is a good solution. That way, it would still be tied to the fingerprints on the original AP, and it could't be bartered. And they can also block out all high-seasons (Spring break, Christmas, etc...). Of course, this wouldn't help someone who purchases an AP every year, but maybe for such people, they can offer a slight discount towards next year's AP instead.

asianway

It is fair, we are talking about communication of the odeal and cancelations or suspension of monthly payments. By not communicating. Official announcements would mean many more would be canceling. You know a company looks a lot better to stock market results when they hold onto money for longer right? They do not want anyone to run on their cancelations as if they are a run on the bank losing a bunch of deposits and payments people have made into the thousands for their families, times that by potentially millions. They can't even officially announce any closure dates in the month only four days away properly. Yes, we can all infer but lack of communication is bad guest service for themselves and their CMS.
The canceling of the APS one can argue a lot of different meathods. Obviously, crediting with more time is the best anyone can do in this unforseen circumstance beyond their control, but if people paid monthly are denied a hold on payments until the parks resume operation, than that is bad form that can be avoided and should be accomodated. Those are the "pennies" the company is keeping now and avoiding future visits from the families.
Anyone who would abandon Disney over this non-issue is someone they don’t want as a customer anyway

Disstevefan1

If they're extending the amount of time that you can use it I'm not sure what the problem is.

I think the issue was that some folks lose all income because of corona (no fault of their own) and can’t make the payment. Disney should press the pause button; during the pause, no payment is needed but you also can’t you can’t use the AP to gain entrance to the park during the pause.

Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom