Refunds or cancellations of Disney World Annual Passes

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've already reached my Sentinel free article limit. šŸ˜¬ I assume this is about purchased but not yet activated APs? Disney should at least extend the activation window. One year extra seems fair.
No, it's about a monthly payment that will continue even tho' the parks are closed, and how the $75 per month is putting the buyer in a bind after losing business due to the Covid-19 shutdowns.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
We renewed our AP's last December. We took into account that we would be using them on 3 different trips this year (May, Sept, Dec).

If we end up using them on just 1 or 2 trips, even with an extension, we'll end up loosing money.

doctornick

It's an annual pass and you know that when buying ahead of time. I love how people think it's a monthly membership and should be able to cancel/pause at anytime. They really should stop allowing monthly payments.

This. I'm actually surprised they allow monthly payments to begin with.

That said...

People who pay monthly are still getting charged. Does this mean we'll keep getting charged for the extension period? I think the monthly payments should be suspended until the parks re-open.

A customer friendly thing to do would be to hold the payments while the park is closed. I'm not saying that Disney should feel obligated or compelled to do so, but with potential rougher times ahead it might benefit them to be more accommodating to their local customers.

But I don't see any rationale for allowing for people to cancel their pass/payments. Extending the passes so they cover a full year of open parks is fair.

MrConbon

Exactly. You're purchasing a ticket that allows you the ability to enter the parks for 365 or 366 days. Whether or not you go to the parks every day is not Disney's concern. A person could die, become sick, move out of the country, and a multitude of other reasons they can't use the ticket. Disney has kept their end of the bargain by extending the amount of time the ticket will be valid for. This is no different than buying anything else and making payments on it. I don't get to stop paying for my tv just because my power or cable went out or that I might not be able to afford it anymore.
eh, to be fair only the platinum annual pass allows you to go every day. The gold and silver both have blackouts. Silver having blockouts for Spring Break, all of summer and Winter Break.

durangojim

eh, to be fair only the platinum annual pass allows you to go every day. The gold and silver both have blackouts. Silver having blockouts for Spring Break, all of summer and Winter Break.
Iā€™m from Michigan so thatā€™s all I buy. I still think the rationale applies to all types of passes.

celluloid

Customers have memories. It may save them pennies now, but
This. I'm actually surprised they allow monthly payments to begin with.

That said...

A customer friendly thing to do would be to hold the payments while the park is closed. I'm not saying that Disney should feel obligated or compelled to do so, but with potential rougher times ahead it might benefit them to be more accommodating to their local customers.

Sea World Parks did this as an option. Good move.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wouldnā€™t expect any cancellations or refunds of APs...an extension will continue if parks close longterm.

I would expect a promotion on renewals...depending on the length of the closure.

They just jacked the prices about 30% over 3 years? That can be rolled back just as easily. The foot traffic is worth more over the next 15-18 months than the rather meaningless extra cost

ThatMouse

Disney isn't setup for customer relations management. They have no concept of loyalty. Did anyone get notified about their upcoming vacation? Maybe some reassurance or some credit for not cancelling? No because they don't know how to communicate. They send out general spam and hope one of your email addresses gets it. Some people are seeing their reservations automatically cancelled. Some people will probably receive the welcome mail and magic bands even after cancelling. In contrast, I can tell you cruise lines (not Disney) are quick to reach out and give bonus cabin credit for sticking with them. Some people I know have future vacations booked with (not Disney) at great discounts. I suspect a lot of other travel places are doing the same. With Disney it's crickets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney isn't setup for customer relations management. They have no concept of loyalty. Did anyone get notified about their upcoming vacation? Maybe some reassurance or some credit for not cancelling? No because they don't know how to communicate. They send out general spam and hope one of your email addresses gets it. Some people are seeing their reservations automatically cancelled. Some people will probably receive the welcome mail and magic bands even after cancelling. In contrast, I can tell you cruise lines (not Disney) are quick to reach out and give bonus cabin credit for sticking with them. Some people I know have future vacations booked with (not Disney) at great discounts. I suspect a lot of other travel places are doing the same. With Disney it's crickets.
Correct...disney will not do what youā€™re describing.

Why? They have never had a need for that type of system. People come to them...they badger THEM for everything...they flood the phones and websites every morning to buy more stuff from them.

Why staff for customer service when the people really never demanded it?

I donā€™t blame Disney...I blame the farmers that planted the crops. Especially these last 12 years...started by the biggest recession in world history and rolling into another one that could be bad - too early to tell.

Castle Cake Apologist

People who pay monthly are still getting charged. Does this mean we'll keep getting charged for the extension period? I think the monthly payments should be suspended until the parks re-open.

What are you talking about? It's not a membership. It's a physical item with a set price. Once it's paid for, whether monthly or up-front, it's paid for. Why on earth would you be charged for the extension period? The extension period is literally you getting to use the product that you paid them for.

Itā€™s like gym memberships, weā€™re closed but we are still charging you payments

Huh? It's not like a gym membership at all. It's like buying a car and paying for it monthly instead of all at once. Disney is extending the expiration of the pass, so why wouldn't you still make your payments until you've paid it off? Are you under the impression that having an AP is like being in some kind of a monthly club with membership dues?

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Correct...disney will not do what youā€™re describing.

Why? They have never had a need for that type of system. People come to them...they badger THEM for everything...they flood the phones and websites every morning to buy more stuff from them.

Why staff for customer service when the people really never demanded it?

I donā€™t blame Disney...I blame the farmers that planted the crops. Especially these last 12 years...started by the biggest recession in world history and rolling into another one that could be bad - too early to tell.
This is like the 1970ā€™s oil crisis, 9/11, and the 2008 financial meltdown rolled into one. I wonder if they will do away with the cast members maingate to soften the crowds for people to travel in, stay on site, eat food, shop etc.??

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are you talking about? It's not a membership. It's a physical item with a set price. Once it's paid for, whether monthly or up-front, it's paid for. Why on earth would you be charged for the extension period? The extension period is literally you getting to use the product that you paid them for.

Huh? It's not like a gym membership at all. It's like buying a car and paying for it monthly instead of all at once. Disney is extending the expiration of the pass, so why wouldn't you still make your payments until you've paid it off? Are you under the impression that having an AP is like being in some kind of a monthly club with membership dues?
Indeed. It is a payment plan...like a car. Get full use for full payment. No wishy washy there. And they will extend the dates...so term will be lost.

And I think every franchise gym has suspended payments for closure. And if they havenā€™t...get another gym šŸ¤Ŗ

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is like the 1970ā€™s oil crisis, 9/11, and the 2008 financial meltdown rolled into one. I wonder if they will do away with the cast members maingate to soften the crowds for people to travel in, stay on site, eat food, shop etc.??

Iā€™m still gonna hold judgment on how bad I think it will be.

If really depends on the spread and fatality rates in the US...and also how fast the fires can be put out in Europe and the return of normalcy in Asia?

Americans havenā€™t been properly scared yet...my strong suspicion. So the impact to short and longterm travel isnā€™t ā€œrealā€ enough yet.

Iā€™m sure Disneyā€™s analysts know this...which means they will delay opening just to allow that to play out a little.

Theyā€™ll be fine...15 minutes ago the US senate just invested $2 trillion dollars of ā€œsaving faceā€ financial boost...Disney is gonna get their cut...rest assured.

DisneyPrinc3ss

I think that extending the pass by the number of days that the parks are closed is a bad solution, because not everyone can drop everything and go any time of year. For example, if someone purchased the pass in August with the intent to go then and again in March, it doesn't help that person to have the pass extended to October or even November. I think that some better solutions would be to either:

1. Give the AP holders a prorated refund for the amount of time that the parks were closed.
2. Give AP holders the option to use the extra days anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
3. Don't extend the APs, but give the AP holders 4,5 or 6 day hopper tickets which can be used anytime during the 12 months that follow the expiration of the AP.
4. Allow AP holders access to the parks during the same period that the parks are closed in the following year (March 12--??? 2021).

Any chance of any of these options happening?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom