Reflections Of Earth Globe

woofboy111

Original Poster
I'm not exactly sure, but I think the movie is done by hundreds of tiny light bulbs on the surface of the globe, or it's projected from the inside of the globe.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The globe works on the same system that many large screen (jumbotrons) use. The image is not projected, but works much like a TV. There are thousands of cells with a few different colored lights in each of them. (I'm not sure of the colors, although green red, blue and white sound right) When lit in combinations, different colors can be seen. Up close, it looks like nothing, but from a distance, the lights fool the human eye into bluring the line between the cells.

This may or may not be how it works...my best guess.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Fieval - that is excatly how it works.

If you want a lcose up look at the system, go to Millennium central info booth outside Spaceship Earth. The new information sign there uses a very similar technology.

WDWGuy

Well hello there Everybody!

I am glad to see a thread on here that is devoted to this topic!

I had the privilage of working on Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. I was part of the crew for three months during a cross-U I did from Fantasmic! I also was on the crew of the show previous to RoE. In fact, its this show that helped me find this web site :)

Anyway, due the the fact I was on the barge as it went out everyday, that it is most certainly driven by a Cast Member. In both pre-show and post-show...as well as in the "Starfield" sequence after "Chaos".

Auto pilot sounds like it would be a nice idea. But considering there is only about a foot or LESS space between the barge and the China bridge waterway barriers, I feel a lot more comfortable having that thing driven rather then auto-piloted very SLOWWWLY under the raised bridge and out into World Showcase Lagoon.

One of the neatest features about RoE that a lot of people don't get the chance to experience is the "Burn Off".

"Burn Off" is the release of all of the excess propane gas in the Interno Barge. This has to ocurr before the Interno Barge can be transported back to the Backstage Marina area. It crates a VERY LARGE flame in the middle of the lagoon. This ocurrs when the park is clear of guests. If you happen to be at the Boardwalk or at a resort surrounding Epcot...Take a ganter towards the skies above Epcot around 10:45-10:50pm nightly...and you will see the orange from the flame burst....Its very cool...

All the best,
I am back at WDW Tomorrow morning..Woo hooo!!

Steve D.:animwink:

extinctlover244

not quite behind america...

the globe and all the barges are actually held between china and... well... the google earth images arent too high rez in this area so behind that bridge next to china. hope that helps!

co-ordinates: 28* 22' 07.60" n 81* 32' 42.60" that is for the little flower-like thing that i assume is the globe.

mikeymouse

Maria said:
The old globe used to be brought from backstage, at around 5pm every afternoon. Many people didn´t notice it, but if you were passing by the African Outpost, they probably stopped you to lift the bridge and let it go through along with the boats full with the pyro.

Yea, unlike RoE ... the original "earth barge" came out from backstage and went straight to the center of the lagoon. It did not move out during the show like RoE.

EPCOT Explorer

I know IllumiNations like the back of my hand but what is this talk of a old globe?

Was it for RoE or another IllumiNations show?

Also, isn't the Earth Barge for RoE stored somewhere along the Lagoon near Mexico? I can recall walking past it recently ans telling my familly that we would get to see it later on that night in action.

Rob562

I know IllumiNations like the back of my hand but what is this talk of a old globe?

Was it for RoE or another IllumiNations show?

Also, isn't the Earth Barge for RoE stored somewhere along the Lagoon near Mexico? I can recall walking past it recently ans telling my familly that we would get to see it later on that night in action.

The "original" barge was the original laser barge in the middle of the lagoon. It had a large kinda-white ball on top onto which images were displayed. You can see images on it elsewhere on WDWMagic:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/backstag.htm

As for the current Earth Globe barge, it's stored backstage overnight, and is then brought out onto the lagoon during the afternoon. It's parked along the shore by the American Gardens Theater until it pulls out during the show. There are times that I've seen it towed out to the middle of the lagoon first, and then moved over to the AA later on in the evening.

-Rob

EPCOT Explorer

Thanks Rob,I appreciate the post.

Interesting that the RoE barge wasn't the 1st "Earth Barge" in a IllumiNations show.

Yay!Another random Disney Epcot fact to know!:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom