Reflections Of Earth Globe

woofboy111

Original Poster
During Reflections of Earth, the fireworks show at Epcot, there is a globe that is docked behind the American Stage, and then floats out to the center of the lake and then shows a movie. I know this is a stupid question, but is there a person in there driving it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The Earth barge has an automated guidance system (I have heard both infrared and GPS as the guidance system used), and runs on autopilot during the show. The barge can be manually driven if neccesary - such as when it is brought out to the lagoon from the Marina, and when it is taken back at the end of the night.

woofboy111

Original Poster
Thanks. I didn't think anyone would be that stupid to drive a boat through a bunch of exploading barges. I guess I was right!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They do train to stay out in the lagoon during the show. The old IllumiNations show had somebody present in the BALL during the entire show. They can also stay on any of the 4 fountain barges. There is a shelter where they can hide in. Apparently the first time you did it is very scary!!!!

100YOM

ROE Sphere

I hate to contradict Steve, but I have attended presentations regarding IllumiNations:Reflections of Earth, hosted by the Entertainment Director of Epcot, David, who informed us there is a Cast member that drive the Sphere out to the center, and then climbs into a steel cage located on the barge during the pyrotechnics explosions.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Originally the globe was to kept backstage just like the old plain globe was in the original Illumination shows but since it is much bigger, they are afraid it will get caught in the bridge and therefore keep in front of the American Adventure.

woofboy111

Original Poster
I don't actually remember the old globe moving (but it's probably me). I remember it staying in the middle of the lake from the start to finish of the show, and they would shine the lazers on it without it moving.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
I have seen the old globe move because I have it on tape. We got stopped at the bridge because it was up so the globe could pass through past it.

Maria

The old globe used to be brought from backstage, at around 5pm every afternoon. Many people didn´t notice it, but if you were passing by the African Outpost, they probably stopped you to lift the bridge and let it go through along with the boats full with the pyro.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Re: ROE Sphere

Originally posted by 100YOM
I hate to contradict Steve, but I have attended presentations regarding IllumiNations:Reflections of Earth, hosted by the Entertainment Director of Epcot, David, who informed us there is a Cast member that drive the Sphere out to the center, and then climbs into a steel cage located on the barge during the pyrotechnics explosions.

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if that has changed since opening? I heard the info about the automated system when the show was in development. So i dont know whether it was dropped for the final show, or turned out to be unreliable later one,a dn they went back to the manual system.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Originally the globe was to kept backstage just like the old plain globe was in the original Illumination shows but since it is much bigger, they are afraid it will get caught in the bridge and therefore keep in front of the American Adventure.

The new globe is also kept backstage every night. They bring it out at around 5pm, dock it by the Amercan Adventure. Then after the show it is taken back.

There are photos of it on my site going in and out of the bridge.

DisMemory

I was at a talk this week given by a Reflections of Earth person and he said that the Earth Globe is driven by 1 person using the 4 engines and is not on a track and at the end of the show when all the fireworks are going off he gets into a room for safety. I have seen the Earth Globe driven through the China bridge many times, usually at about 4 oclock and it always has a person at the controls it then goes over to American Adventure.

Maria

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
I always seen it in front of the American Adventure but maybe it is just me.

As Steve said and I quote,

" The new globe is also kept backstage every night. They bring it out at around 5pm, dock it by the Amercan Adventure. Then after the show it is taken back. "

;)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
LOL - Hey Maria, can we be any clearer on this? ;)

MickeyMoose15 - if you were to stand by American Advneture any time between opening and around 4pm, you wouldnt see it!!!!!!!
And if at 4pm - 5pm you stand by the Bridge near China, you will see it drive around from the Marina, thru the bridge, and out to dock by the American Adventure.

If you have a look here you will see it!

http://www.wdwmagicmedia.com/illum_2000_hardware.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom