News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Last edited:

MiddKid

Fun thing I picked up on over being in Epcot for 2 days. CM's trying to tell people where a country is at is going to be a challenge. Someone over by Germany was trying to find the UK so they went to a CM. The CM pointed in the direction of the UK.
The UK from roughly that spot:

"I don't see it"
"Okay, so the UK is right over there...you see that black thing? It's right behind it.
"Like is it the pointed building?"
"No, it's next to it on the left from here"
"Is it those tiny houses?"
"Just walk past France and keep going until you see the red phonebooths"

You can't make this crap up. I never ever thought it would actually make a CMs job harder yet here we are. I heard a similar interaction about 2 more times relating to other countries.

If they can sink, they'll go down probably 3-5 feet. There's AC units and open vents on the sides.

While I'm no fan of the barges this got me thinking about one of my favorite interactions while working the tip board (at this point decades ago) at the Magic Kingdom. Around noon on a hot July day...family walks up to me:

"We just got here, where are the rides?"

I get the question...arguably from the hub you can't really see any "rides" like your local Six Flags, but it still struck me as funny (and a reality check on the knowledge level of a good chunk of visitors that these boards often forget). All that to say, I think the impact of the barges on giving directions is a blip on the radar compared to a lot of directions conversations that have happening over the decades throughout all the parks.

trainplane3

While I'm no fan of the barges this got me thinking about one of my favorite interactions while working the tip board (at this point decades ago) at the Magic Kingdom. Around noon on a hot July day...family walks up to me:

"We just got here, where are the rides?"

I get the question...arguably from the hub you can't really see any "rides" like your local Six Flags, but it still struck me as funny (and a reality check on the knowledge level of a good chunk of visitors that these boards often forget). All that to say, I think the impact of the barges on giving directions is a blip on the radar compared to a lot of directions conversations that have happening over the decades throughout all the parks.
I totally get that. I just thought it was a fun thing to bring up since it wasn't something I thought about happening. It is an extremely minor thing to bring up but it will still be something some CMs will have to work around/keep in mind.

jrhwdw

The site that shall not be named said they noticed a sound board inside one of the tents.
I didn't see the report but makes sense. Esp if heavy testing/rehearsing is starting. However, I wonder where the soundboard will permently go? Let's not glue the tents to WS Plaza! THAT I'll call a Mistake!!!

Were there tents when ROE was going to EF? I don't remember?

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
No, most of the clutter is from the past decade or so. It’s annoying. And indicative of how standards continue to fall.
@marni1971 (I may have this wrong and will need to re-watch your IllumiNations videos again) did they have barges stationed before, but the guests (public) complained about the view and when the show changed, the barges went away each night?

Do you think there is currently a person working on alternative solutions for the barges moving into and out of place, so not in the public sight all day (water fountain doesn't count)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 (I may have this wrong and will need to re-watch your IllumiNations videos again) did they have barges stationed before, but the guests (public) complained about the view and when the show changed, the barges went away each night?

Do you think there is currently a person working on alternative solutions for the barges moving into and out of place, so not in the public sight all day (water fountain doesn't count)?
This is the first time obtrusive hardware hasn’t been movable. Save for the expanded inferno barge slip.

Disney Analyst

I didn't see the report but makes sense. Esp if heavy testing/rehearsing is starting. However, I wonder where the soundboard will permently go? Let's not glue the tents to WS Plaza! THAT I'll call a Mistake!!!

Were there tents when ROE was going to EF? I don't remember?

Well they would likely operate the show from the same tech booth / room as the other shows. They don’t need as much equipment once the show is programmed, but programming requires a lot of extra equipment, which is why they set up under tents.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
This is the first time obtrusive hardware hasn’t been movable. Save for the expanded inferno barge slip.
Just for clarification, is the hardware moveable in its current form? I understand the logistics of the canal being to small, bridge being up to long, lack of will to find a solution, but is it even possible to move them every night at this point even if they wanted to or was that design requirement dropped when they decided not to move them. Sorry if this has been asked before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just for clarification, is the hardware moveable in its current form? I understand the logistics of the canal being to small, bridge being up to long, lack of will to find a solution, but is it even possible to move them every night at this point even if they wanted to or was that design requirement dropped when they decided not to move them. Sorry if this has been asked before.
The main barges have no internal propulsion. So not impossible, but not exactly designed to.

jrhwdw

Well they would likely operate the show from the same tech booth / room as the other shows. They don’t need as much equipment once the show is programmed, but programming requires a lot of extra equipment, which is why they set up under tents.
Thanks! The Tents are new to me unless we all saw them Aug-Sep 2019 when EF's show was being Programed and I completely spaced it! The last time Epcot "Built" a show was 1999: 2000 ROE. I don't think we had Discussion Fourms yet to say WS had tents or not! LOL!

Found this on Twitter, is it close or way off?????:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks! The Tents are new to me unless we all saw them Aug-Sep 2019 when EF's show was being Programed and I completely spaced it! The last time Epcot "Built" a show was 1999: 2000 ROE. I don't think we had Discussion Fourms yet to say WS had tents or not! LOL!

June opening for Harm? That would be a big no

Disney Analyst

Yes, also important to remember they also try to program from where an audience views, and then they likely would rotate around the lagoon to ensure sight lines are working.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

June opening for Harm? That would be a big no
The rumor as I heard it was EF back as soon as late June, not Harmonious. Harmonious would “perhaps” ready for the 50th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom