News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

dlpwishes

I rarely post, but having watched the videos from last night I just feel it really lack cohesion.

Absolutely great to have more representation in the parks and show off different cultures. But I just don’t think a clip show is the way to go about it at Epcot. You could still have a RoE style show, maybe with a little more pace, to reflect different cultures etc… that was the whole point in previous shows!

It can be as flashy as they like, but there’s just no story.

Rickcat96

Why on earth would you book a Boardwalk reservation just for a fireworks show?
It's not just for fireworks, so maybe I was not that clear. Apologies if I gave you that impression. I do have an expectation that if the powers to be chant that they are giving more to on site folks as a means to justify a higher price-they would at least try. Looking at you-Kite tails too.

Watching the show again from a single viewpoint, center stage did look 100% better, the DPB live view was horrible. The ending needs more, and a better narration add could make it better IMO. Problem with the center viewpoint- you don't see SSE effects, which look nice.

stuart

“The world will never starve for want of wonders; but only for want of wonder.” G.K. Chesterton​

I stayed up to watch this at 2am and, whilst there were elements I liked, it falls short of where it ought to be.

As has been said plenty times by now, there is a lack of cohesion to it, and there's definitely sections that are lacking in pyro or even lasers to fill the sky - think the slow wave effect from RoE.

I was trying to be objective and, I get what they are going for, but the whole time I just think this doesn't belong in the park. It feels like plenty effort went in to the technical side of the show, but the stitching of the songs was rushed. There's an element of 'och that'll do'.

It is visually quite impressive, especially on the video posted by Steve, as the Parks Blog one, like usual, tried to show everything and ended up missing everything at the same time. I dare say when there in person it will be better than watching on a screen.

Ultimately though, to reference the quote above, there's nothing there you haven't seen before. No real wow moments. With the effects and score of RoE one was left with a sense of wonder. There isn't with this show.

There is, however, that sense when you see Points of Light on Spaceship Earth.The reactions to that both in the streamed videos, posts and tweets tell you that. There isn't even that much, just sequenced LEDs and music, but it wows people as they see Spaceship Earth in a way they haven't before. It's different to projection mapping on the Castle and the like.

I remember Martin saying here years ago about IllumiNations: Sky Dance when it was on the cards, "it would make Reflections of Earth look like the Electrical Water Pageant".

Whether the RoE replacement show was what we got, a IP full Harmonious, or if it was a largely IP lacking tour of cultures from around World Showcase RoE 2.0, that's what we were wanting, something we hadn't seen before, something that would blow us away, something that would give us a real sense of wonder.

trainplane3

Yeesh, this is even getting a lot of hate over on Reddit. I was expecting a lot more positivity over there. I'm genuinely surprised. HEA had some rough reviews (all over social media) after it's initial debut but this is much heavier then that.

Would be interesting to have someone line up the test run from a few months ago with last nights run. Looks like more pyro in the test but could just be me?

TalkingHead

For all the corporate talk about cultural sensitivity and inclusion, it's amazing "Arabian Nights" and "I Wanna Be Like You" were chosen for the soundtrack. The former has had a checkered history from the start, and the latter apparently was problematic enough to warrant the cultural sensitivity warning on Disney+. And this is for the park that supposedly celebrates worldwide cultural diversity? The grossest thing about the show is how Disney promotes itself as the dominant global culture -- what's the message, imperialism starts at home? If anybody wants to co-author an academic article...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Honestly they could have pulled this show off just as good using the original fountain barges with added moving fountains and mist screens which could have been the same size or larger and out of the way. The fountains in harmonious were lacking for the space the had. They could have added fountains and projectors to the earth barge heck even the arms if they wanted. What a waste and now there stuck

markham

For all the corporate talk about cultural sensitivity and inclusion, it's amazing "Arabian Nights" and "I Wanna Be Like You" were chosen for the soundtrack. The former has had a checkered history from the start, and the latter apparently was problematic enough to warrant the cultural sensitivity warning on Disney+. And this is for the park that supposedly celebrates worldwide cultural diversity? The grossest thing about the show is how Disney promotes itself as the dominant global culture -- what's the message, imperialism starts at home? If anybody wants to co-author an academic article...

I’ll just leave this here. 😂

“you want to make sure you’re doing justice to that culture.”

Sooooo, to best represent the cultures of the world, we’re playing a bunch of songs written by Americans. One of which had to have an offensive lyric after release. (Arabian Nights) The hubris of this creative direction is really appalling. THIS to me is the reason Disney IP is not a good fit for a show like this.

it’s almost like they’re saying, “the world has so much more in common than we have that divides us. Such as our love of Disney.”
I wish I had been wrong about it in its final form but I stand by this.

Another problem is that they didn’t even pull of promoting themselves as something that brings cultures together well! If that’s your angle (and I really don’t think it should be), really drive it home. This is a mess. I wouldn’t be shocked if it get’s a bit of reworking at some point in the near future. Give us **in show** context and story. I hope it happens and it’s enough to help.

Disney Analyst

I’ve read all the posts and caught up. I now realize a lot of people only watched the official Disney video, which isn’t a great representation of what it actually looks like.

Disney doesn’t usually do a great job when they stream these… they always zoom in and make weird camera choices.

On the ground POVs certainly make the scope seem larger and better.

Honestly… I think if they added a theme song of sorts, and a better narrative thread, it would fix most the issues people have. The bones are there.

ToTBellHop

I’ve read all the posts and caught up. I now realize a lot of people only watched the official Disney video, which isn’t a great representation of what it actually looks like.

Disney doesn’t usually do a great job when they stream these… they always zoom in and make weird camera choices.

On the ground POVs certainly make the scope seem larger and better.

Honestly… I think if they added a theme song of sorts, and a better narrative thread, it would fix most the issues people have. The bones are there.
I, too, think they could easily fix it if they want. It’s not like the moving arms collapsed…

mikejs78

Premium Member
Join the club.

We have 5 members. Feels like high school again…
I don't hate it. I like a lot of it. But it is missing something. I do think it would benefit from a little more pyro, especially at the finale, and a little bit more narration or musical theme to interlude the various segments.

I mean my ideal choice would have been a spiritual successor to reflections of Earth, but for what the show tries to do.,. It's fine. Just needs a little tweaking around the edges.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom