News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

jrhwdw

I feel like it was released to fix the copyright by UMG, seems like that issue was resolved around the sametime of the release.
Fine with me!!!!! I mean, WDW has 2 brand new Fireworks Shows that most Streamers love and cannot be Streamed...Come On!!! Let's hope UMG doesn't touch Merriest AH..............(New Castle Show is the only thing I'm worried about, MOUACT/Minnie's was never touched I believe)

I do agree it was quick and unexpceted though. However I remember TDR had this problem before COVID. Some, not all Sesonal Entertainment was YT Blocked until the CD/Soundtracks came out.

Disone

This feels like an attention grabber to drum up interest in a poorly executed nighttime show. I don't think RoE was released this quickly and it was even used as a halftime show in a Super Bowl.
Naaaah.

The release of soundtracks after a night-time production has opened is fairly routine. I don't think this is a desperate measure to try to drum up support for harmonious.

As has been mentioned several times already on this board, the mass population is responding to the show much more favorably than what one would read on this board.

I must say….I have been here all week the general audiences seem to digging it…they give off a very different vibe than those that post here…I have been asked a few times if I had seen it and wasn’t It great…people seem to love it…From my vantage point it Is a hit

Just got back from a trip and was expecting to hate this. I didn’t. It feels big and grand and it is beautiful. There is more pyro then I expected.

I loved ROE but it was long in the tooth and the tech in harmonious makes that fact more evident. My guess is a lot of the folks on here haven’t seen it in person and judging from the crowd reactions in person the reaction of the die hard fans does not reflect the general populous.

I’ve had the same observation. We’ve seen it 3 times and each time the crowd reaction really surprised me. Even the chatter on the way out was extremely upbeat. As I’ve said before, it definitely has its issues; all of which is clearly outlined in this thread lol. But this show doesn’t seem to have the same level of hatred as that other show in the Magic Kingdom.

This show grows on you the more you see it. I was in the MK and saw Enchantment (a good but not amazing show) and rode HM before being ushered out as it was Boo Bash. The enterance plaza was a mess, but the resort monorail wasn’t too bad. Soon I found myself about to board a monorail at 9:00 when it occurred to me, wait Harmonious shoots off at 9:45, and I realize I could make it. So instead I stayed on at the Contemporary, went to the TTC and lucked into a train in the station. I arrived at WS just after 9:30. It’s better then Enchantment, and the crowd was really digging it. Virtual Critics hold your opinion before you see it live a few times. This show is very good.

cmb5002

I decided to watch a second time to see if my opinion changed. It mostly didn't. There's a few moments I enjoy, and it stung less so I was able to accept it a little more, but all the issues I described in depth still hold true. To reiterate:

- Bad pacing.
- Overly long.
- Three minutes into the 20 minute show you've seen everything it's going to do.
- Way too much time spent watching the screens and fountains with little to no pyro. These segments feel like the barges are backdrops to a concert except there's no one performing the concert.
- The start and stop concert nature of the show has no flow or buildup of energy.
- For most of the show, the extreme energy of the music in no way matches the slowly morphing barges. It's like having someone scream at you to be excited as you stare at a screensaver.
- Audio mixing is terrible, flat, overlayered, and way too bombastic.
- PATF segment is the highest energy segment but is bombastic for long enough to be annoying.
- Ignoring the fact that none of it really fits with Epcot and the associations are entirely because they take place in that country and little else, several segments that do not fit at all even under those qualifications, like The Jungle Book.
- Images on the tacos are so cheap and also look like backdrops to non-existent performances, but for much of the show they are the main focus.
- The condescending handwave of "sung in different languages = culture and unity!!!"

This show is an absolute mess, and it's mind boggling that both times I watched it, I heard a few people proclaim that it's "SoOoOo much better than IllumiNations." I fully acknowledge that the globe segment of ROE was "boring" but my god did it make up for it afterward, whereas this show is a slog the entire 20 minutes through. I know this sounds conceited and pretentious, but if this is your opinion, I can't help but assume that you have absolutely no grasp of the art of good visual entertainment and are just excited to see "stuff happen" and pretty colors.
I got my chance to watch the show just last night. While I had my issues with the barges during the day, I went radio silent on the show so I could watch it without much bias. Having now seen it, I have to say your analysis is spot on.

While the technology used was impressive, the show itself misses the mark. In addition to the pacing issues, it devides attention. Several times I found myself ignoring the high Pyro in favor of trying to see images on the water and digital screens. The show is exceptionally long with multiple segments that seem fairly unnecessary, they don't show or do anything different than the segments preceeding or following it-there's no crescendo. And while the music selection isn't horrible, I go to MK to hear remixes of movie soundtracks, not Epcot. The song arrangements don't have the punch that illuminations, tapestry of dreams, or even the new sse beacon show does. I can see why some might like it, but Disney knows how to make a good show without ip. They just did it at the epcot entrance. That they choose not to in epcots night time show is mind boggling.

Two other commwnts/complaints:
It seemed to me that much of the music was coming from speakers in the barges, and it was a bit loud to me, but much too loud for my 3 yo, who covered her ears for the entire show. I can understand why the speakers were added, but I think the volume may need to be adjusted.
The post show music doesn't have that same chill vibe that illuminations did. This post show music is high tempo dance music and gave my party the feeling that we were supposed to get out immediately.

I'll not rehash the multiple issues with the barges during the day.

My opinion the show is a failure. I'd watched illuminations close to 30 or 40 times. Multiple times every trip. Did a dessert party after getting married at the swan in 2014. I have no need to watch harmonious again.

mergatroid

My opinion the show is a failure. I'd watched illuminations close to 30 or 40 times. Multiple times every trip. Did a dessert party after getting married at the swan in 2014. I have no need to watch harmonious again.
I'd accept your opinion is that you don't like it as it's subjective. Whether it's 'a failure' or not will be better judged by how the guests respond to it in numbers. For example my wife won't go on Space Mountain ever again after trying it. It failed to entertain her personally but you'd hardly call it a failure as it's hugely popular with the guests in general.

Nigel Yeo

Having just listened to the soundtrack, this has much more of a feel of the World of Color at California Adventure. Not sure that dressing-up a set of Disney standards in vaguely ethnic overcoats is enough to 'Reflect' the unique international flavour of World Showcase and remain true to the spirit of Epcot. More culture, less IP please.

cookiee_munster

I'm listening to it now. It's just noise.

EDIT - I just want to say. The concept of using different languages in the show I was very intrigued by and really supported. I guess the easiest way for people who didn't speak these languages were to use familiar songs from the movies. But... I don't know, it just doesn't work for me to really appreciate it as a piece of music. I guess as sound to go with elaborate show pieces, it works. But big nighttime shows like these deserve those kinds of earworms that people hum along to days, weeks, months, years after leaving the park.

Last edited:

bcoachable

I'd accept your opinion is that you don't like it as it's subjective. Whether it's 'a failure' or not will be better judged by how the guests respond to it in numbers. For example my wife won't go on Space Mountain ever again after trying it. It failed to entertain her personally but you'd hardly call it a failure as it's hugely popular with the guests in general.
I will (respectfully) counter your response with the thought that I bet Space Mountain is around longer than this show will be…

mergatroid

I will (respectfully) counter your response with the thought that I bet Space Mountain is around longer than this show will be…
Well of course, night time shows don't last as long as most attractions do. Personally I love Harmonious (minus the barges in the day) so I'm biased. However a number of people have said despite the very vocal animosity to it on here, the general public who are attending and paying to attend Epcot seem to enjoy it. It's difficult to gauge properly what paying guests think, but if we're brutally honest that's all Disney needs to look at. People on here spent about 3 years saying 'Avatarland' wouldn't work and would be awful, guest responses have shown differently and Disney haven't knocked it down and replaced it yet. If people stay to watch Harmonious and generate further income for Disney, then it's a success. Whether it's enjoyed by people on the internet who don't pay to go, is of less concern to them.

Touchdown

I don’t know how you can think the Coco section is an ear worm, (Senoras! Amigos! A new day is waiting to start! Senoras! Amigos! Put a song in your heart, Let’s Go!)

That African chant between haukuna matta and can you feel the love tonight gets stuck in your head as well. Someday also does an excellent job of conveying the message of World Showcase.

Even though I don’t think it fits, How Far I Go/Go the Distance does sound really nice. Also the Brave section is a great instrumental banger to get you ready for Coco.

Tom Morrow

Most of the soundtrack sounds completely overblown to me. The songs are way too "busy" with too many layers battling for your attention. They're also high energy the entire time. On top of this, and this was discussed a while back in the thread, but the production mixing of these songs is very bad - each channel is amplified and compressed so that every individual element is the same volume at all times. I forgot the term for this, but now that you know to listen for it, you'll recognize it.

The result is that the show sounds cacophonous and relentless. Add in the fact that the segments go on for too long and the show is too long overall, and often the energy of the visuals in no way matches the intensity of the soundtrack, and you have a show that's exhausting, unpleasant, and empty.

Of course, the average guest doesn't see it that way. I know this sounds elitist and snobby, but oh well - this resembles the modern Hollywood blockbuster approach: overwhelm the audience to such an extent that their only takeaway will be that "something that over-the-top has to be good, right?" For instance: most Marvel films' third act is a 45 minute relentless CGI action-fest with no stakes or substance. People who view entertainment as simply "watching stuff happen" will be satisfied, but anyone who cares about cinema language will probably feel that the film is hollow and unengaging.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Most of the soundtrack sounds completely overblown to me. The songs are way too "busy" with too many layers battling for your attention. They're also high energy the entire time. On top of this, and this was discussed a while back in the thread, but the production mixing of these songs is very bad - each channel is amplified and compressed so that every individual element is the same volume at all times. I forgot the term for this, but now that you know to listen for it, you'll recognize it.

The result is that the show sounds cacophonous and relentless. Add in the fact that the segments go on for too long and the show is too long overall, and often the energy of the visuals in no way matches the intensity of the soundtrack, and you have a show that's exhausting, unpleasant, and empty.

Of course, the average guest doesn't see it that way. I know this sounds elitist and snobby, but oh well - this resembles the modern Hollywood blockbuster approach: overwhelm the audience to such an extent that their only takeaway will be that "something that over-the-top has to be good, right?" For instance: most Marvel films' third act is a 45 minute relentless CGI action-fest with no stakes or substance. People who view entertainment as simply "watching stuff happen" will be satisfied, but anyone who cares about cinema language will probably feel that the film is hollow and unengaging.
This. the singing is not even particularly good, it baffles me how this got through as a completed disjointed mishmash instead of a coherent direction. I thought they would at least highlight the pavilions while using a connected song, they didn't even bother or try. and princess and the frog is just so out of place in your face (or ears rather), 100% wrong park. Can we not move on from moana and princessfrog? theres something going on where they are forcing these to the point of over saturation in the parks and shows, you would think it was all they had to use.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I assume you also feel this way about Hercules, Beauty and the Beast, and Tangled as well, right?

Well Hercules isn't used at all in the parks outside of a song being in some nighttime shows.

BatB is definitely oversaturated, though -- first they need to get rid of the singalong in France and go back to Impressions 100% of the time, and then they need to create a new stage show to replace the 30 year old one at DHS.

Haymarket2008

Finally saw the show. It’s not bad. Objectively and in isolation. If the Magic Kingdom had a lagoon to put this into, it would be wonderful. It’s a technically creative and sometimes lovely show that is tremendously out of place.

Epcot has had a gravitas about it and that essential ingredient is not in this show. It’s just not the nighttime show Epcot deserves. Or even NEW Epcot deserves.

I received a pretty pointed survey specifically about Harmonius and how I felt about it in relation to previous shows. Asked a whole slew of questions and wanted a written response. Let’s hope they fiddle with it.

And yes, the barge hardware really is as bad as everyone says.

Haymarket2008

I got my chance to watch the show just last night. While I had my issues with the barges during the day, I went radio silent on the show so I could watch it without much bias. Having now seen it, I have to say your analysis is spot on.

While the technology used was impressive, the show itself misses the mark. In addition to the pacing issues, it devides attention. Several times I found myself ignoring the high Pyro in favor of trying to see images on the water and digital screens. The show is exceptionally long with multiple segments that seem fairly unnecessary, they don't show or do anything different than the segments preceeding or following it-there's no crescendo. And while the music selection isn't horrible, I go to MK to hear remixes of movie soundtracks, not Epcot. The song arrangements don't have the punch that illuminations, tapestry of dreams, or even the new sse beacon show does. I can see why some might like it, but Disney knows how to make a good show without ip. They just did it at the epcot entrance. That they choose not to in epcots night time show is mind boggling.

Two other commwnts/complaints:
It seemed to me that much of the music was coming from speakers in the barges, and it was a bit loud to me, but much too loud for my 3 yo, who covered her ears for the entire show. I can understand why the speakers were added, but I think the volume may need to be adjusted.
The post show music doesn't have that same chill vibe that illuminations did. This post show music is high tempo dance music and gave my party the feeling that we were supposed to get out immediately.

I'll not rehash the multiple issues with the barges during the day.

Saw it last night too and you summed it up perfectly.

Also the Beacons of Magic portion with the new Epcot theme is jaw droppingly gorgeous. More emotion and integrity in those 2.5 minutes than a 15 minute nighttime spectacular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom