News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

ToTBellHop

Saw again this week, and I guess I finally have to admit something I've been ashamed of.

Never was a fan or RoE! Nope, borderline bored and always went on TT. Cathartic...

Harmonious hands down keeps my attention more and is a better fireworks spectacular >>> Enchantment

Yup I'm banned...
I agree. I’d see it any night over Enchantment. I enjoyed it more than any Epcot show in a decade. I thought RoE was wonderful. In 2000.

wtyy21

Sorry for the double post. India is longer, China is longer, Africa is longer, no narration, and I think that's about it.

At least Harmonious tell us about multilingual (but mostly English) Disney songs that majority of them are relevant to World Showcase pavilion (China = Mulan, Africa = The Lion King, Morocco/Middle East = Aladdin). Too weird that India segment (The Jungle Book) appeared but the pavilion itself were never built until now. The same goes for Hercules, where the pavilion where the movie originated (Greece) are not planned or built until now.

Epcot82Guy

I guess I just find that idea almost offensive and very Amero (or at least Anglo)-centric. While inspired by, many of the songs chosen are not what I would use to represent a culture. Most borrow from an American music style for an American made film. (Some, notably Coco, being different.). I mean, I know Elton John is celebrated for his deep African heritage and love letter to it's musical heritage.

I'm not saying that couldn't work. There is a version of this that draws from the countries, their heritage and language that could be amazing. This isn't that show. It's a love letter to how successful Disney has been to importing it's culture and brand to other countries.

Arguably pushing corporate branding is very "Epcot" (sponsors), I guess. But I don't think that's the story or message the park strives for.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

MrPromey

In other words "Wasn't MY IDEA!"....
That's how I took it, too.

Also, Steve should have respectfully declined to work on this project, it's hurt his "Brand"
How you go from doing a show like ROE, to this.. and still call yourself a artist with integrity.. is beyond me.
That's often easier said than done when this is the work you do for a living.

Most days, you create because it's one of those days in the week that ends in the letter "y" and the mortgage is due next week - not because the muse has decided to join you and you're feeling inspired to do something amazing.

You can always tell the words of a person who doesn't have to do this kind of a stuff for a living with the very common misconception of what art as a vocation is vs. art as a hobby/passion.

Nothing is wrong with either but they're very separate things. Many professionals are also hobbyists for this very reason.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

That's how I took it, too.

That's often easier said than done when this is the work you do for a living.

Most days, you create because it's one of those days in the week that ends in the letter "y" and the mortgage is due next week - not because the muse has decided to join you and you're feeling inspired to do something amazing.
People who wait for the muse are known as "starving artists".

Giss Neric

Imagine if they pushed through with the addition of new countries in World Showcase, they could easily modify the show. Also, if Encanto becomes a big hit, I'm sure they will put in the songs there.

montyz81

If anyone wants the soundtrack:
This feels like an attention grabber to drum up interest in a poorly executed nighttime show. I don't think RoE was released this quickly and it was even used as a halftime show in a Super Bowl.

Squishy

This feels like an attention grabber to drum up interest in a poorly executed nighttime show. I don't think RoE was released this quickly and it was even used as a halftime show in a Super Bowl.
I feel like it was released to fix the copyright by UMG, seems like that issue was resolved around the sametime of the release.

Goofnut1980

Seems they want to grab the attention for sure. Get folks to enjoy the music because its Disney and that will make them come to the parks and see the show so they get better reviews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom