News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here was my favorite part of Illuminations. Don't know why they didn't keep it for the new show...

1633215030575.png

Incomudro

People complaining about the pyro literally forget Illuminations had a five minute gap where nothing happened except the globe sailing to the middle of the lagoon and some small fountains.

Revisionist history is wild.
I actually preferred that over what we have now, which is too much.
That lull of the globe sailing out built anticipation.
We live in a different time now, I suppose.
One where movies are filled with non stop cgi, rather than story - so I suppose it's inevitable that we have Harmonious.

Incomudro

So it only took 2 performances before it broke?

But therealzachridley has already moved onto picking out color swatches for the urinal cakes at the new bathrooms in Future World. I mean Discovery land or whatever a marketing executive thought would attract people to throw their money away vying merch.
Given it's complexity, I'm not surprised.
Articulating arms, multitudes of screens...

SoFloMagic

And what is it? You didn’t actually answer my question.

Explain how to a standard guest Illuminations story is better explained than Harmonious
Illuminations: The creation of the planet, growth of civilization, and human accomplishments. Now on the cusp (or 20 years after) the start of a new millennium who do we want to be?

And harmonious: Disney, but sometimes in other languages!

OSUPhantom

Illuminations: The creation of the planet, growth of civilization, and human accomplishments. Now on the cusp (or 20 years after) the start of a new millennium who do we want to be?

And harmonious: Disney, but sometimes in other languages!
And how does the standard guest know that is illuminations story? I guarantee you that 99% of the audience doesn’t see that at all.

Listen I love Illuminations as much as everyone but acting as though is it perfection without issues of it’s own is naive and frankly almost beyond parody at this point.

that is about the most bad faith interpretation of Harmonious’ story as you can give. Ignoring the extreme effort to join singers and musical styles from the cultures that inspired some of the most iconic stories in the modern world?

Love Illuminations all you want but letting it stubbornly and childishly blind you from seeing any good in anything else is ridiculous.

SoFloMagic

And how does the standard guest know that is illuminations story? I guarantee you that 99% of the audience doesn’t see that at all.

Listen I love Illuminations as much as everyone but acting as though is it perfection without issues of it’s own is naive and frankly almost beyond parody at this point.

that is about the most bad faith interpretation of Harmonious’ story as you can give. Ignoring the extreme effort to join singers and musical styles from the cultures that inspired some of the most iconic stories in the modern world?

Love Illuminations all you want but letting it stubbornly and childishly blind you from seeing any good in anything else is ridiculous.
I think the story about human history and togetherness is pretty apparent.

And I think harmonius could pull those same strings with use of a narrator. Would be an easy add and would really improve the show.

Adding: having a show about a new Millenium airing in 2019 was laughable and we needed an update, but I think they can do better than this

Sir_Cliff

I think the story about human history and togetherness is pretty apparent.

And I think harmonius could pull those same strings with use of a narrator. Would be an easy add and would really improve the show.

Adding: having a show about a new Millenium airing in 2019 was laughable and we needed an update, but I think they can do better than this
Agreed. The idea behind Harmonious isn't bad, it's the execution which does just seem like Disney sung in both English and other languages.

Another thing I keep thinking about is how the expectation was that, even if the barges were ugly and you didn't like the IP element, the technology would be spectacular. Was it? Maybe it comes across in person, but it's hard to see the real wow factor of the screens with fountains, lights, and moving arms. The design of the barges and fountains still looks more odd than beautiful to me, even with things like the moving arms in action.

Epcot82Guy

I guess it depends on perspective, but I got the I:ROE story immediately and then picked up on all the extra details and symbolism from there. As did the others in my group. I loved the globe because it was such a creative way to tell the history in an artistic way - though it definitely has it's visual limits and problems.

I guess it's how I feel about Pirates. It was more abstract. You did have to work a bit for it. Now (with Sparrow) we have a blatant story, and it makes it feel more hollow and cheaper for me. I guess figuring out the story, layers and details of attractions, resorts, etc. was probably my favorite part of Disney Parks. (Not saying that for everyone. But it's very true for me.)

wtyy21

I found a video that telling what happens if Harmonious is shown with original pyro (known as A-Mode)

I like Harmonious better than ROE due to stunning visual effect and lasers, but the original pyro looks more fit for this show, akin to fireworks for the sporting events like Olympics or World Cup.

SoFloMagic

Agreed. The idea behind Harmonious isn't bad, it's the execution which does just seem like Disney sung in both English and other languages.

Another thing I keep thinking about is how the expectation was that, even if the barges were ugly and you didn't like the IP element, the technology would be spectacular. Was it? Maybe it comes across in person, but it's hard to see the real wow factor of the screens with fountains, lights, and moving arms. The design of the barges and fountains still looks more odd than beautiful to me, even with things like the moving arms in action.
The tech is spectacular. Hands down. It's super impressive. Arms have cool lighting and in several scenes are used really well.
Despite what others have said, they do roll out new tricks as it progresses: stargate pyro, lasers, arm pyro, perimeter pyro canons, spaceship earth lights.

I don't know quite what it is, but there's no denying it's a technically-impressive something

TTA94

The tech is spectacular. Hands down. It's super impressive. Arms have cool lighting and in several scenes are used really well.
Despite what others have said, they do roll out new tricks as it progresses: stargate pyro, lasers, arm pyro, perimeter pyro canons, spaceship earth lights.

I don't know quite what it is, but there's no denying it's a technically-impressive something

Slight bummer there is no fire effects though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom