News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

dreday3

I still don't get the story and I don't care to read it. But when I listen to the soundtrack, it can still make me cry.

Which, I think, is the point.

I smile-cry every time I listen to Illuminations, which can be weird because sometimes I listen to it at work or while walking! 😂

But I just said here at home, I like that this show isn't making me cry. I sometimes just enjoy a fun, upbeat show. I got tired walking out of Epcot slightly sad. The older I get, the more I want joy and not heartstring tugs.

James Alucobond

(quoting myself)

Well I just watched it.
Yes - the music is not what you wanted for Epcot. ROE is my favorite soundtrack and it's gone. Well, I can listen to it everyday if I want, but gone from Epcot.

That said - I thought this show was quite beautiful! I've personally never seen anything like it.
It was sooo colorful, elegant movement, and joyful.
And I looooooved hearing Someday at the end.

And you really couldn't figure out which part was the finale? 🤔

I honestly don't understand the criticism of it looking bad, but hey, to each their own!
I think people are disinclined to like it aesthetically because it will always be weighed against the daytime look, as in, “Is it beautiful enough to justify sitting out there as an eyesore all day?” I do think it’s lovely, but the minute they decided to moor them permanently in the lagoon, they automatically had a lot of negative sentiment built up against them.

ULPO46

Also, they have Aladdin and Jasmine appearances in the Morocco pavilion
TBH Aladdin is a Arab Classic and since Agrabah doesn't exist in the real world any Arab state could in theory be representative of Aladdin. Thus The Kingdom of Morocco is why they both appear. But Hercules is 100% Greek although the Ancient Romans did enjoy Greek stories. But it cracks me up when guest try to figure those things out. Just how I've had people tell me if Spain was in Mexico

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Hypothetically... if the designers sat in a room and said "let's make something that's big and dumb with no story because our audience are idiots," would they be wrong?

Would it surprise me now? no, but that's not what Walt wanted (if anyone at TWDC cares):

“Adults are interested if you don’t play down to the little 2 or 3 year olds or talk down. I don’t believe in talking down to children. I don’t believe in talking down to any certain segment. I like to kind of just talk in a general way to the audience. Children are always reaching.”-Walt Disney

ToTBellHop

As far as I'm concerned, "Go the Distance" is a parks song a this point. It's far more resonant in any of the ten nighttime spectaculars it's been in than in Hercules itself.
“Go the Distance” and anything from Hunchback have become WDW songs. They are popular at WDW and irrelevant everywhere else. At least they keep giving us the songs we want??

ToTBellHop

I think people are disinclined to like it aesthetically because it will always be weighed against the daytime look, as in, “Is it beautiful enough to justify sitting out there as an eyesore all day?” I do think it’s lovely, but the minute they decided to moor them permanently in the lagoon, they automatically had a lot of negative sentiment built up against them.
Refusing to float the barges out nightly was the single greatest misstep of this project.

Castle Cake Apologist

I know nobody wants to hear it, but ROE had *very poor* guest feedback scores. People complained that it "wasn't Disney enough." Chapek didn't make that up. WE loved ROE, but the plebes hated it. They thought it was boring.

And yet it ran every night for twenty years? 30+ technically, if you count the original IllumiNations.

Much like your weird assertion that HEA doesn't feature an orchestra or gospel choir, I think you're quite wrong here.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

And yet it ran every night for twenty years (30+ technically, if you count the original IllumiNations)?
It didn't have poor guest feedback scores in 2003. It had poor guest feedback scores in 2018.

Do I really need to spell out the business case for a nighttime spectacular at Epcot? If you haven't noticed, there's not a whole lot to do around the World Showcase Lagoon besides eat and shop.

Castle Cake Apologist

It didn't have poor guest feedback scores in 2003. It had poor guest feedback scores in 2018.

Do I really need to spell out the business case for a nighttime spectacular at Epcot? If you haven't noticed, there's not a whole lot to do around the World Showcase Lagoon besides eat and shop.

And a 20 minute disjointed clip show with no overarching narrative that doesn't start until the park closes and actively makes World Showcase Lagoon hideous during the day fixes that somehow? I think it's time to put down the pixie dust pipe...

Perhaps they could have just updated RoE and used the ridiculous budget they blew on this show to add more actual things to do in World Showcase?

Last edited:

Brenthodge

I just don’t understand how a show about unity through song has no unifying theme. It’s a disjointed mess. There is no build. No “the beginning of the song”. They definitely could have fulfilled the mandate of “ Disney songs” and still have told a very compelling story. There may have been budget cuts, but that has litrle bearing on how weak this show is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom