News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

DonaldDoleWhip

I know that Frozen is often seen as overplayed, but... c'mon. Into the Unknown would have been perfect. And it's already recorded in like two dozen languages. If you're going to please the crowds with IP... there's some low hanging fruit that's also really good.
Speaking of no-brainer IP integrations, I'm stunned they didn't fast-track an Encanto segment, as the signature song is clearly a banger. Could have lifted it straight from the soundtrack.

Hopefully Harmonious follows in World of Color's footsteps in that it'll be updated periodically. Given that there are literally no transitions between segments, shouldn't be too difficult.

waltography

I will give the show that Someday is great song to pull from the Disney catalog and the finale wasn't too half bad; I think they need to work on the content in-between to earn that finale and they need to introduce Someday (or some leitmotif riffing on it) into the show much earlier (and that's just the tip of what this show needs revision-wise).

Surfin' Tuna

We went tonight with several guests visiting for the 50th. I was promising myself I would give it a chance with a mostly opened mind, but boy did it fall flat. I was surprised to see several "regular guests" just turn and walk away from the show. I toughed it out for the guests who liked it, but I can't say anything more than junk. The fireworks were a let down. They were okay, but I think good is too kind a word. I'm just really shocked to see such ho-hum reactions from everyone around us. At the front entrance people were entranced and cheering for the changing lights on SSE. The good news is this might not get all the love and adoration we assumed it would get. We all know they aren't going to take it away anytime soon after the investment, but it was really bad.

SorcererDonald16

I loved ROE so much, and Epcot is my favorite park. As soon as we knew IP would be all over this, I was afraid of how bad it would be. I also hate the World Showcase sight lines getting messed up for these barges and set pieces. So I had low expectations going in. And I’m still so much sadder than I thought possible. :(

As a show on its own, it’s good. The fireworks were decent, and they mercifully kept the launches from the various pavilions. The tech is impressive. As THE show for Epcot, no. I don’t like this at all.

ROE had such a spirit to it, and it was IMO a beautiful way of showing how the human experience ties together, no matter where in the world a person comes from, what language they speak, etc. This simply reeked of “Listen to how our movie soundtracks sound all over the world! Somewhere out there [my apologies to An American Tail for dragging that movie’s lovely song in to this], other Disney fans are hearing and singing our songs in other languages!” If the songs had solely been in the other languages vs. switching back and forth to English, maybe this wouldn’t have bothered me as much. As it is, I felt like Chapek’s mug was going to pop up in a projection at any second and cackle “You can’t escape our IPs!” vs. this having much of anything to do with celebrating the countries represented in Epcot, the people, or the world. Not to mention the original spirit and purpose behind Epcot. :confused:

Soulless is exactly how I would describe it too, in the context of Epcot. Plop it in Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake, or even a non-pyro version in Animal Kingdom (adjusting the songs and movies used accordingly), and I would probably mostly happily enjoy it.

brb1006

After seeing it live tonight, I’m in alignment with most: highly disappointed and Spaceship Earth’s post-show reveal was the highlight.

There is nothing timeless or memorable about Harmonious. The technology is impressive. But it’s a jukebox mega mix of Disney songs.

It has a strong beginning and ending. Everything else is just a disjointed mess.

On the way out of the park tonight we heard a woman heckling Bob Chapek as he and Josh walked across the entrance plaza. Such a mess.
Chapek was actually there?

wtyy21

The interesting part of Harmonious is the Jungle Book. The music part of "I Wanna Be Like You" feels more similar to Mickey's Mix Magic with exception that this song in Harmonious are sung in mashup of Indian languages and English and takes more traditional feels of it instead of EDM. See EDM version of the song in this video (from 1:25 to 2:30).

Mac Tonight

How to make Harmonious™ in 6 easy steps.

1) Hire a team of people who have NO clue what Epcot is all about
2) Select random clips from any Magic Kingdom Fireworks show soundtrack
3) Re-record said soundtrack in foreign languages because of World Showcase
4) Give it a new name and slap some Epcot branding on it
5) Go WAY overboard with chaotic visuals and water-spray machines to distract from there being no cohesive story
6) Write a terrible and awkward script to close it out

And bingo! You got yourself a new Disney classic nighttime extravaganza to be enjoyed for years to come!
Congratulate yourself and be sure to post on that Instagram!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I:RoE was moving, inspiring and memorable, Harmonious didn't feel that way to me, at all. I guess I was expecting a lot more than cool visuals and a tech demonstration from this new show. I don't need to wait and see this is person to know that it doesn't 'speak' to me.

Imo, Harmonious lacks substance, but most importantly, a soul.

wtyy21

Remember when people hated ROL. Hahaha… the new crap is worse and worse. At least ROL had a killer soundtrack. Bring back an updated illuminations with the new tech and tacos. Call it a day.
I remember like this when Disneyland Forever premiered, it had mixed reviews which some praising a projection mapping technology while others criticized that show lacks the emotional value as RDCT and showcasing much clips of Disney IPs.

Last edited:

HairyChest

Here is my constructive criticism. All the songs except Mulan are loud.The show is just loud. They don’t bring it down to let it breathe and get intimate. “Remember me” should’ve been just the guy singing and not changed the arrangement from the original because that song is so emotional and beautiful already. On top of that I’m not a fan when 3 different songs are being sung at the same time and the singers are screaming at the top of their lungs. That’s not beautiful to me. And I didn’t hear an original and emotional song that connected it all together (like wishes , reflections of earth or even happily ever after). I thought early on they teased an original soundtrack that would be amazing and emotional, what happened?

rk03221

Wow I can’t believe they ruined the views of WS and got rid of illuminations for this, especially for the 50th. What a steaming pile of garbage. Guess we’ll spend our money on a Disney cruise or Disneyland. I was really hoping this show would be good but everything wdw has put out so far has been so disappointing

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Since I’m up late for work and waiting on some things, I decided to take a look around a few social media platforms about this. It’s trending heavily towards “Bad”, like 95% or more of the comments I’ve read have been negative about the overall show. I’m truly stunned by the reactions so far.

When the “casual” park goer is agreeing with us old curmudgeons about something, you know it’s not good.

Father Robinson

The soundtrack was fantastic. Great throughline, impactfully used at the beginning, end, and as the post-show song. The dual endings (Go the Distance + grand finale) both delivered.

Individual segments made great use of songs, in some unexpected ways (e.g. Hunchback, Tarzan, Frozen but not Elsa).

Most of my viewings didn’t even involve the projections (e.g. from Polynesian’s beach or Fantasyland) and it still always impressed.

HEA immediately topped Wishes for me, and I hope it comes back.
Same here!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
This may be an unpopular opinion, but after seeing Kitetails and now this coupled with the Disney trends, decisions, and announcements over the past few years, it pains me to say this but Disney is beginning to no longer have the feeling it once did and I do not have the same excitement planning trips there multiple times as year as I once did

HairyChest

On a side note, as a Disneyland frequent visitor, Mickeys Mix Magic does not belong in Walts original Magic Kingdom. It belongs at an annoying Halloween party in DCA. “Remember…Dreams Come True” should be the kiss goodnight.

edit:wtyy21 reminded me of the correct title.

Last edited:

wtyy21

On a side note, as a Disneyland frequent visitor, Mickeys Mix Magic does not belong in Walts original Magic Kingdom. It belongs at an annoying Halloween party in DCA. Wishes should be the kiss goodnight.
Or rather as "Remember... Dreams Come True", which contained opening and closing music from Wishes but with Walt Disney speech and slightly reorchestrated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom