News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

I understand, it is definitely unfortunate they have changed Epcot so much. I definitely don’t like the Harmonious barges or the concept either, but since Disney insists on pushing forward with the show regardless of the backlash, I’m curious to see how it turns out. Obviously I’m a big fan in general for nighttime shows and I also love lighting effects which the barges seem to be heavy on that and other effects, so for that I’m excited to see it.

I am still optimistic on what it will look like when it is all done and fully functional.
Yes it is f'ugly at the moment but wishing, wating and hoping for the best.

gerarar

Premium Member
So a show (EF) that was already “light” is getting even lighter. 🤦‍♂️ I despised it before, for reasons I’ve already discussed. The kites were the only remotely redeeming thing about the show, so I can’t see any reason to see the “light” version.
Irony is that EF was already “light light” before the closure. Months before (I think around September 2019), half of the pyro in the show was cut. So instead of shells coming out in 4’s, it came out in 2’s. For the Tapestry of Nations, what was a halo/ring of pyro is now a half halo/ring. Kites were also not maintained/fixed, so what used to be like 6 kites per set turned to 3 or 4.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Irony is that EF was already “light light” before the closure. Months before (I think around September 2019), half of the pyro in the show was cut. So instead of shells coming out in 4’s, it came out in 2’s. For the Tapestry of Nations, what was a halo/ring of pyro is now a half halo/ring. Kites were also not maintained/fixed, so what used to be like 6 kites per set turned to 3 or 4.
Imagine what it would be like if went heavier than its heaviest.

Its fun to imagine.

gerarar

Premium Member
The show started in October 2019.
Oops! Then it was probably November 2019-ish. Definitely by Christmas, its pyro had already been reduced. I was severely underwhelmed by it when I saw it then since that was the one thing I was looking forward to it. iirc it was recorded on here as well in the EF thread when pyro reductions took place since it’s quite noticeable.

note2001

There's so much wrong with the build up to this show already, I can't fathom Disney creating a product that makes it worth it.

• $$$ spent
  • 8 gigantic screens (for the record, I hate screens in shows, even the globe)
  • 5 blue whale proportioned black barges
  • fountains that look like the Muppet water works department sprang a leak

Convince me this will work.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It's a curious paradox; they're big enough to be legitimately ugly, but they don't look big enough to be impressive. As much as I loved Illuminations, the globe was a minor aspect for me; it was more the atmosphere, effects and music for me. Similarly, this new show should live or die based on the quality of the music and the immersive effect of it happening around you in WS.

If it's mostly focused on the video on these screens, it's going to be a fail. It works at Cinderella's castle as it's larger-than-life right in front of you. This doesn't have the same effect

I'd argue that it didn't work on Cinderella's castle because it severely limited viewing angles of the nighttime fireworks show in the Magic Kingdom.

We put up with a screwed up hub for, I believe, well over a year, to allow them to expand so that the area was not a nightmare and safety hazard for Wishes which could arguably still have been seen in Fantasyland without missing much (possibly even a better experience in some ways since you had what almost felt like a 360 view of them) and something that could be seen decently from other parts of the park.

With the newer show, that got changed to something that can only really now be watched in front of that castle. This has created a much worse situation than there was previously. Crowds with no other place to view from and with previously designated viewing spots that had been built, now exlcusive to desert party guests, have filled up not only all that extra "travel" space in the hub but also most of Main Street and they seriously pack people into those areas now in a way that would be disasterious if there were any serious emergency.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I understand, it is definitely unfortunate they have changed Epcot so much. I definitely don’t like the Harmonious barges or the concept either, but since Disney insists on pushing forward with the show regardless of the backlash, I’m curious to see how it turns out. Obviously I’m a big fan in general for nighttime shows and I also love lighting effects which the barges seem to be heavy on that and other effects, so for that I’m excited to see it.

I'm fairly confident that if not for the sunk cost, management would have scrapped this show by now and probably gone back to ROE or figured out how to create an IP stuffed show using mostly already existing hardware and infastructure for another decade, knowing what they know today, with guest reactions to the mess they've made of the lagoon only being a part of that decision.

At this point, though, there's no way they're turning the Titanic around.

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

I'm fairly confident that if not for the sunk cost, management would have scrapped this show by now and probably gone back to Illuminations 2000 or figured out how to create an IP stuffed show using mostly already existing hardware and infastructure for another decade, knowing what they know, today with guest reactions to the mess they've made of the lagoon only being a part of that decision.

At this point though, there's no way they're turning the Titanic around.
And, no chance of icebergs...
and, the lagoon isn't deep enough.

UNCgolf

I'd argue that it didn't work on Cinderella's castle because it severely limited viewing angles of the nighttime fireworks show in the Magic Kingdom.

We put up with a screwed up hub for a I believe, well over a year, to allow them to expand so that the area was not a nightmare and safety hazard for Wishes which could arguably still have been seen in Fantasyland without missing much (possibly even a better experience in some ways since you had what almost felt like a 360 view of them) and something that could be seen decently from other parts of the park.

With the newer show, that got changed to something that can only really now be watched in front of that castle. This has created a much worse situation than there was previously. Crowds with no other place to view from and with previously designated viewing spots that had been built, now exlcusive to desert party guests, have filled up not only all that extra "travel" space in the hub but also most of Main Street and they seriously pack people into those areas now in a way that would be disasterious if there were any serious emergency.

I think there's another issue with the projections, at least for Happily Ever After -- there's too much going on. Not only do you have to be right in front of the castle, but you're either looking at it or looking at the fireworks. You can't see both at once, or at least can't really take in what's happening with both at once.

There are ways to design a show where this isn't an issue (you can do a projection scene, then fireworks, then projection scene, etc. so you can look back and forth as one option, but there are plenty of others ways to have them work together as a whole) but Happily Ever After isn't it. That doesn't make it a bad show, but I don't think it's especially well designed. I thought it was a better experience from the California Grill roof than it was from inside the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom