News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

TTA94

PHOTOS - EPCOT'S Harmonious central icon barge receives third and final platform​

HarmonioUS_Full_41111.jpg

HarmonioUS_Full_41110.jpg

More photos at the link.

We still have the last two screen barges, which id think should be coming out soon?

Anxious to see what the next visible steps are once all the barges are out.

Touchdown

PHOTOS - EPCOT'S Harmonious central icon barge receives third and final platform​

HarmonioUS_Full_41111.jpg

HarmonioUS_Full_41110.jpg

More photos at the link.
At least Italy-France will have good visibility of the stargate. It looks like everyone is going to want to be either there or Mexico-Canada. Mexico-Germany and France-Canada are going to have undesirable views of the stargate and people are going to avoid those areas and crowd the others, too bad Norway and China had great spots, and the Rose and Crown just lost their best selling point. You would have thought they would have made 3 Stargates, with the angles at America, Mexico and Canada. That way views would have been great everywhere but America and that’s ok since the theatre blocks the view anyways.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Actually looking at this photo again, it almost looks like the screens are projecting virtual fountain water onto their screens and then hiding that with actual fountains from the bottom of the platform. I know its just concept art and all but lets be honest something ridiculous like virtual fountains would be about right for this disaster. Either way in a few months after Florida sun exposure and being subjected to constant running water, the faded chipped paint and growing rust spots, nothing will make these look good.

Bocabear

Don't they do the laser projections on Spaceship Earth from the America Pavilion...straight across the lake? That might be the true reason they are all off center.

FerretAfros

Seeing just how large that central ring is in situ, and knowing that it's apparently as tall as a 6-story(!) building, I have to wonder if perhaps the off-center location might have been a result of the American Adventure laser that creates images on Spaceship Earth, which runs directly along the park's central axis.

jhh8ncjnbv221.jpg

As a quick comparison of scale, here's what the Earth Barge and new structure look like when passing through the drawbridge (different angles and zoom, obviously)
blogger-image-36779656.jpg

HarmonioUS_Full_41076.jpg

ROE's Earth Barge was a 28' diameter globe on a 10' pedestal, for about 38' total height; the solid sphere used in the earlier Illuminations productions was slightly smaller. The American Adventure laser appears to be approximately 40-45' above ground level, which in turn is about 10-15' above lagoon level in front of the building. This would provide adequate clearance for a laser to pass over the barge and continue on to SSE beyond. However, with a new structure that's 60+ feet tall, perhaps it would need to be offset from that central axis to allow the light to pass.

capture.jpg

capture2.jpg

Without seeing it in person, it's tough to judge exactly how far the spread of the laser would extend, but it seems plausible that the ring could get in the way, blocking the lower portions of SSE, and that having it off-center was a deliberate decision.

capture3.jpg

However, Occam's Razor states that the simplest explanation is usually the right one, and knowing WDI's recent efforts, they probably didn't even consider moving the mooring, regardless of any impacts to the existing lasers. When the show eventually opens, I don't doubt that the new structure will be hit with stray lasers simply due to its colossal size and desire for an over-the-top show; the more restrained iterations of the past never seemed to have this issue.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Actually looking at this photo again, it almost looks like the screens are projecting virtual fountain water onto their screens and then hiding that with actual fountains from the bottom of the platform. I know its just concept art and all but lets be honest something ridiculous like virtual fountains would be about right for this disaster. Either way in a few months after Florida sun exposure and being subjected to constant running water, the faded chipped paint and growing rust spots, nothing will make these look good.
That was my take, it is screen and physical water.

Disney Analyst

That was my take, it is screen and physical water.

I took it as the fountains on top of screens (which are moving nozzles I believe) position to create an arch over the screen. The fountains in front of screen switch to fan nozzle, which creates the fans to block screen.

I think it’s all fountain.

TTA94

Interesting visual concept. That said, I do not believe the finished product will look as depicted. Thus far it just looks like the Death Star under construction or as sooo many have commented "StarGate".

Im thinking the barges are not finished either and some type of covering is coming to the arch, bottom portions and arms. Guess we will see. Sure won’t fix the ultimate problem of these being out all day, but at this point any type of covering will help.

TTA94

Are the lights getting bubbles or something to protect them from the fountains? Surely those are not waterproof?

Sue_Vongello

Judging by all the reaction posts on Instagram by Disney - the vast majority of people are very pessimistic and negative about these barges and the sight lines ... which is a good thing because they listen to the fans always ... remember ... ahem ... remember Chapek ... said just recently ... that ... ha ... sorry that “they listen to the fans and give them what they want” ... remember so that means ... hahahahahahahahahahahahaha .... sorry I couldn’t even finish the post with a straight face. The barges are not going anywhere because they don’t give a rip about what the fans want.

TTA94

@marni1971 Do you know exactly all the effects these barges will have asside from the obvious lighting and fountains? Any fire effects or any other surprises in store?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom