News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

TTA94

It could easily be a "simple" connection issue and I'd like to hope they have a quick process in place to replace panels as they go bad over time.

Then again whoever suggested this shows setup thought it'd be fine so all bets are off.

The barges could already have this, and should if they don’t, and that is backup water screens on each barge if the panels go out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The barges could already have this, and should if they don’t, and that should be backup water screens on each barge if the panels go out.
Thats a very different and complicated technology in itself. This show is very clearly designed to be using those panels and I wouldn't expect to see any kind of backup system, other than the fact that if it comes to the worst and one fails, it is likely that you will be able to see another screen which will likely be showing the same thing.

Movielover

I bought a Monitor on Black Friday that arrived with a death pixel, shipped it back yesterday. I wonder what the return policy is on the barge?
tumblr_posmf1rzma1qi0pl0o5_500.gif

techgeek

Wow... Already having issues?? This show is doomed. Get ready to have Epcot Forever... Forever lol.

DOA??? This doesn't bode well for this show. That being said, I wonder of an RoE fan sabotaged the screens like Casey in the movie Tomorrowland.

It looks like these barges are going to require a lot of upkeep going forward. There appears to be so many systems that are going to be sitting there out in the open.

In any production environment, LED screens of this nature require almost daily adjustment as individual panels wiggle loose, color balance drifts, or connections fail. The screens are made up of individual 'modules' of pixels, and can be swapped out individually pretty quickly once you identify the problem child and can physically get to it. With how many screens are involved, once this show gets up and running you're going to see things like this almost daily... it just goes along with the territory. Disney clearly planned for this in the design with easy access to both front and rear of the displays. Being outdoors and in the elements definitely magnifies those issues, even if they are using 'weather rated' gear and connections. I'm sure there's going to be a decent number of LED techs attached to this show permanently.

In a normal 'show' environment, the audience wouldn't see such things because it would occur during daily checks before the house opens. If the screens were off-stage during the day, this kind of thing could happen in the marina. As it stands now, it will be interesting to see how routine and necessary upkeep like this (and pyro loading) works around 'daytime fountain mode'. Hopefully anything truly jarring is handled on 3rd shift, but issues can crop up anytime including right before show and I'd expect to see test pattens and tweaks often.

UNCgolf

It looks like these barges are going to require a lot of upkeep going forward. There appears to be so many systems that are going to be sitting there out in the open.

It honestly feels like they really didn't think this through very well.

I'm sure they did (or at least you'd hope) considering the amount of money they've spent, but between the horrible views across the lagoon, the amount of maintenance required, and the fact that the maintenance will be harder to do out in the middle of the lagoon (not to mention being visible for all guests if they have to do anything during the day), the whole thing seems like a potential money pit.

The show needs to be absolutely incredible -- and even if it is, a lot of people still won't be happy about it because it's in the wrong park.

hpyhnt 1000

In a normal 'show' environment, the audience wouldn't see such things because it would occur during daily checks before the house opens. If the screens were off-stage during the day, this kind of thing could happen in the marina. As it stands now, it will be interesting to see how routine and necessary upkeep like this (and pyro loading) works around 'daytime fountain mode'. Hopefully anything truly jarring is handled on 3rd shift, but issues can crop up anytime including right before show and I'd expect to see test pattens and tweaks often.

110% this. Before all maintenance could be done backstage, now some of it will inevitably be done in full view of guests. Before each barge could be docked side by side with easy access for crews and equipment, now techs will have go via boat from barge to barge with their equipment. Before you could keep overhead spotlights at the dock for night work or just wait until the next day, now those options are much less feasible or desirable. And keep in mind that previously the barge components only spent about ~15 minutes each night in show mode; now many of them will be "live" for 8, 10, 12 hours each day. And more use = more maintenance needed.

The more we analyze everything, the more this looks like a textbook case of, "You were so concerned about if you could you didn't stop to think if you should." I'm assuming all these points came up during the planning and were satisfied for project approval, but then again, this is the same group of folks who didn't take 3 seconds to do a spell check on keister before plastering it on Instagram. Time will tell...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
110% this. Before all maintenance could be done backstage, now some of it will inevitably be done in full view of guests. Before each barge could be docked side by side with easy access for crews and equipment, now techs will have go via boat from barge to barge with their equipment. Before you could keep overhead spotlights at the dock for night work or just wait until the next day, now those options are much less feasible or desirable. And keep in mind that previously the barge components only spent about ~15 minutes each night in show mode; now many of them will be "live" for 8, 10, 12 hours each day. And more use = more maintenance needed.

The more we analyze everything, the more this looks like a textbook case of, "You were so concerned about if you could you didn't stop to think if you should." I'm assuming all these points came up during the planning and were satisfied for project approval, but then again, this is the same group of folks who didn't take 3 seconds to do a spell check on keister before plastering it on Instagram. Time will tell...

I think that seems to be a consistent problem with theme park decisions since at least Chapek was installed as head salesman and possibly before 2015 as well. It’s about going all-out to elicit ooo’s and ahhh’s without pausing to think about the why’s and how’s and making sure they are following the lead of those who came before when it comes to Show.

M:SpilotISTC12

In any production environment, LED screens of this nature require almost daily adjustment as individual panels wiggle loose, color balance drifts, or connections fail. The screens are made up of individual 'modules' of pixels, and can be swapped out individually pretty quickly once you identify the problem child and can physically get to it. With how many screens are involved, once this show gets up and running you're going to see things like this almost daily... it just goes along with the territory. Disney clearly planned for this in the design with easy access to both front and rear of the displays. Being outdoors and in the elements definitely magnifies those issues, even if they are using 'weather rated' gear and connections. I'm sure there's going to be a decent number of LED techs attached to this show permanently.

Literally came here to say this. These LED screens are made up of a bunch of squares that can be swapped in minutes if its easy to get to. Being in the middle might take longer but its really not that hard. Its not doom and gloom.

doctornick

Fountain water spray 8 hours a day, with led panels, moving lights and other things being soaked consistently...
Yea.. at least over at WOC, they can do the work in the middle of the night when you don't see it.
Couldn’t they do work on this in the middle of the night as well?

I mean, that’s not excusing anything just it seems a strange comparison

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom