News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They passed that mile post on resort prices long ago...I think there always some latent "disbelief" of where this is leading...

It's a strategy...not "inflation" or "supply and demand"...very deliberate and methodical over a longtime.

The price of port orleans isn't an insane $250 dollar average now to cover the $0.35 an hour raises that the unions will eventually settle for...

Sweet fancy Moses... I just checked room rates. Sept. 10-16, 2018 for 2 adults. Cheapest is $120/night at AS-Music. FQ is $256/night. AoA? A cool $359/night. These are all standard rooms, by the way, and I tried to pick a "slower" time so as to find the cheapest rates possible. Going a little further out, to November 5-11, 2018 yields similar prices.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sweet fancy Moses... I just checked room rates. Sept. 10-16, 2018 for 2 adults. Cheapest is $120/night at AS-Music. FQ is $256/night. AoA? A cool $359/night. These are all standard rooms, by the way, and I tried to pick a "slower" time so as to find the cheapest rates possible. Going a little further out, to November 5-11, 2018 yields similar prices.

...it's almost like I just told you what to do...and you did it 😜

...I'm honestly surprised at the price of all stars...I thought it would be more like $140 or so by now.

raymusiccity

Umadbro? I'm a millennial, haven't lived with my parents since high school, and just bought a Jayco Jay Sport 10SD. I'll be camping in it with my wife and two daughters. I also like PBR. If anybody is "ruining" camping, it's the retired people who park their Class A rigs in a seasonal spot and insist that every campground be equipped with WiFi and cable TV.
....and spend 6 weeks during Halloween Season and another 6 weeks before Christmas with their trailers full of inflatables ! :facepalm:

tl77

Discovery Island is one of those times where creativity and reality butt heads.

Sure, the island is cool and having something on it would be awesome, but the logistics of doing so are very cost prohibitive.

I don't think guests will every set foot on it again unless it goes ultra luxury with a price tag that will make all of the issues it has worth it to deal with.
Discovery Island was great but it got eclipsed by Animal Kingdom the same way River Country did by Typhoon Lagoon... both were seen as bigger better versions of the 2 locations, and people chose the spend their time and money at the locations they considered to be "better". I don't know what they could possibly do with Discovery Island, the "bird sanctuary" worked because it required very little infrastructure to operate, electricity and pluming weren't all that necessary, I don't remember them serving a lot of food over there and it shut down at dark, and simple things like trash removal and laundering towel and bed sheets would be a logistical head ache over there for any kind of resort. I think short of turning it into a miniature golf course or some specialized type of entertainment like the Poly's Luau, the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Club Villain, Cirque du Soleil... that's probably all they could manage over there, and it can't be something too popular because the island isn't that big, but it needs to be interesting enough to draw "somebody" willing to pay a premium price to get in

articos

Considering the island already was used, still has power and water and has had served guests before, I doubt any of this is the reason its not being used. More likely its just not worth Disney's time and effort to use the island. Its not like its hurting anything and its not like its really useful for much beyond being an island.

Honestly, if it hadn't been Discovery/Treasure island, I doubt anybody would even notice or care about it. Just look at the islands in Seven Seas lagoon...Outside the old wave machine, there is no reason anybody has even noticed them, beyond their decorative placement.
Exactly. The island still has working infrastructure. The reason it’s not used is there isn’t a need for it. The property simply was never popular enough. It also became too limited for the number of guests who were coming to WDW and the logistics (dollars) of operating DI essentially as a partial day destination didn’t make sense with DAK online. (Discovery Island had a private residence on it dating to the early 1900s prior to Disney’s acquisition of the property. Also, Discovery Island was specifically a location Walt wanted to develop during his flyover of the property. It didn’t work out quite as he wanted, but it was used.)

The Seven Seas islands were left above the water level during excavation in part to provide visual breaks in the scene, and give a sense of distance and depth between the TTC, hotels and the MK. If you don’t notice them, WED design and construction did their job.

Last edited:

MMFanCipher

As someone else said the RV business has been booming the last few years, so I don't think camping is dying out. At a local county campground you can get full hook ups for $25/night. A cheap Premium site during a "slow" season is around $100/night. Expensive but cheaper than hotel rooms.
Back on topic. If they build a DVC on the River Country site it will unfortunately mean the beginning of the end to the campground. Which is too bad. We really enjoy the campground.

jbolen2

As someone else said the RV business has been booming the last few years, so I don't think camping is dying out. At a local county campground you can get full hook ups for $25/night. A cheap Premium site during a "slow" season is around $100/night. Expensive but cheaper than hotel rooms.
Back on topic. If they build a DVC on the River Country site it will unfortunately mean the beginning of the end to the campground. Which is too bad. We really enjoy the campground.

I wonder what the cost to maintain vs income is on the campground vs some of the hotels?

rle4lunch

wow I'm glad you made it out alright... I remember having fun there as a kid but the original pool at the Poly was my favorite in the early days

Thanks, me too! lol. The Poly was my parents "place to stay" as well. Although we did try out the Golf Resort (Now SOG) in 1986. It was like an apartment or duplex or something from what I remember.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Sorry I’m late to this party. Is this confirmed to be a new resort yet?

Is it just me, or does anyone else try to dissect every post by @marni1971??

For this post I'm thinking: "Is he saying that there is a plan to build a resort at this location and he's wondering if it's been made official yet?" or "Does he have so much more information to share on this project, but can't yet because it hasn't officially been confirmed?"

It's been said many time before, but once again, thank you @marni1971 for providing us with the information that you can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom