News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

FigmentFan82

Tossing this here from a new Robert Niles article on Destination D23 (bold text by me).

"The new Disney Vacation Club tower at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim opens September 28. Construction continues on the "Project U" DVC complex at Walt Disney World's Polynesian Village Resort. And, I have on reliable authority, Disney is gearing up to begin construction on the long-delayed Reflections Lodge that will be built on the old River Country site at Disney World."

Somehow Reflections returned

PK2

I did see a big truck heading in there this morning. Don't think it means much but can confirm some level of activity on the site, at least.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Was in this area today, there was some small construction equipment and some dirt being moved around… not sure what exactly is being done
If we're talking about the corner near the settlement bus depot and Pioneer Hall, it looks like it could be a new bus station or building support for Pioneer Hall. It's not the best picture here but they're paving at least one horseshoe shaped road. Presumably this work was budgeted at time Reflections still coming and that the project continued regardless, like we've seen with Trail's End conversion, etc.

20240103_144630.jpg

Again, the photo is terrible so need to trust my eyes here.

ETA: I guess it could be building support but it looks rounded off like one way in and one way out.

20240103_155335.jpg

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There's another section that teased. Here, we can see where there were 1,224 rooms.

Screenshot_20240227_192736_Drive.jpg

With Reflections 974 rooms that left 250 approved rooms and my mind quickly spinning, at least until...

Screenshot_20240227_193502_Drive.jpg

It was Flamingo Crossing. 250 rooms once on hold at Flamingo Crossing.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Two other quick hits.

I think this was already part of discourse, but hotel rooms were thought to maybe increase by 14,000 by 2030. Of course that's likely more than just Disney owned and operated.
Screenshot_20240227_193641_Drive.jpg

And something I don't remember seeing about developments in parking lots. It's straight phrased as an "economic necessity." it's written that parking lot sizes are expected to be downsized with potential to reuse for other development. Why? It says there is an expectation for decreased parking in the future, plus potential to convert surface lots into parking garages. I guess whatever offsets they make when building on undeveloped land would not be necessary if developing something on an existing parking lot, e.g. runoff should be able the same?
Screenshot_20240227_195134_Drive.jpg

The interesting thing, to me, about expected decreased parking demand is that there's an expectation that each park expands, so I'd think that increased attendance at would offset decreased parking demand per guest.

While we're on the train, I thought I'd post something I found interesting.
This shows areas for potential development. I found a very interesting to see the areas by the wide world of sports, the little area by flamingo crossing that is east of 429, and the area west of Magic Kingdom.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 1.40.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 1.40.14 AM.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 88

FerretAfros

In addition to the paving operation that @Doberge spotted in January, it looks like additional site work has been going on recently. On Saturday, I spotted a backhoe (which wouldn't be stored onsite during an extended hiatus) visible over the vegetation from one of the MK boats, and concrete storm pipes were plainly visible along the shoreline.

Comparing images from Google Earth from April of last year to February of this year, additional land clearing has occured along with grading, possibly for a new or expanded pond near the fresh asphalt. The concrete storm pipes and structures being stored on the northwest portion of the site also appear to be different, indicating that this laydown area is being used for semi-active construction.

From 4/15/2023:
capture.jpg

From 2/13/2024:
capture2.JPG

The asphalt and curblines look similar to the southeast corner of the parking lot (near the C-109 label) on the original Reflections plans, with some modifications to connect to the existing roadways without the rest of the site being developed. This doesn't necessarily mean they're sticking with the original plans for the entire project, but it could explain how work is continuing without a new set of permits being filed.

permit-reflections-dvc-hotel-layout-1024x767.jpg

It's also worth noting that Google Earth (and Google Maps) defaults to an aerial image from 2018 for all of WDW, even though there are about 10 images more recent than that date, showing the site prior to demolition. Given that it shows the entire resort from this period (including an incomplete Galaxy's Edge and Tron foundation), I assume the reason for that image isn't related to this site specifically, but it does make it easier to hide any work in this area.

As always with Disney, they're not just doing construction out of the kindness of their hearts; construction costs money and wouldn't be done without a distinct purpose. Whether that purpose is for the original Reflections project, a revamped DVC offering, or something entirely different remains to be seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom