News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

UNCgolf

It's just an opinion that Disney has focused a lot of late expanding / building new resorts to attract guests, but aren't matching the capacity needed at the theme parks. They're trying to get more and more people on property while not giving them enough to do.

I think they're a long way off from having too many rooms on-site, solely because they can spread them out across four different parks.

It's all the off-site guests that really cut into the capacity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's just an opinion that Disney has focused a lot of late expanding / building new resorts to attract guests, but aren't matching the capacity needed at the theme parks. They're trying to get more and more people on property while not giving them enough to do.
They gave up on what we traditionally thought of “comfortable capacity” long ago
1650917831973.jpeg

But as far as “adding rooms”…they have not. They are adding timeshare units and converting rooms into them. Different animal altogether.

And it gets worse: way more tourists in Orlando coming from off property each day…and it’s been “boom! We’re all rich!!” Building in Orlando for way too long now…
More bad news

Anteater

The light rail unicorn?

Lol…”afford”…gets me everytime 😂
In relative cost, why is the monorail so much more expensive now than it was 50 years ago? If they can't operate the ski lift during thunderstorms, they cut the operating times of these by what, 1/4 or more?

I've been on the monorail during some of those downpours; they're no issues except they slow it down considerably likely due to visibility. But, inside, it's nice and cool with plenty of room. Too bad they've abandoned new construction of them.

pdude81

In relative cost, why is the monorail so much more expensive now than it was 50 years ago? If they can't operate the ski lift during thunderstorms, they cut the operating times of these by what, 1/4 or more?

I've been on the monorail during some of those downpours; they're no issues except they slow it down considerably likely due to visibility. But, inside, it's nice and cool with plenty of room. Too bad they've abandoned new construction of them.
Oh they can operate them during thunderstorms. They just don't want people crowding around the station to sue if they get struck by lightning or stand in a puddle when lightning strikes nearby.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Because the monorail is an inefficient, high maintenance, energy guzzling albatross by today’s operational standards.

It was built as “part of the show” more than efficient transport. Intensive internal study was done when phase 3 construction ramped up…and it was a dog then. It’s only gotten worse since then.

correcaminos

Exactly what I said: building right on top of wedding pavilion that kills any chance of intimacy. And that’s what’s gonna Happen.

Father of the bride may not want to see bathing suits air drying on the balcony when he cuts the check 😎

We won’t totally agree on this…DVC is your thing and I respect that.

I just own it. And worked on that spot. And had a wedding in Disney (not at the pavilion though)

Just spitballing.
We can agree to disagree. Didn't marry at Disney (due to religious crap) but love runs deep for that area. I actually never liked the pavilion and wanted a vow renewal at Sunset Pointe. People said the same about VGF and it isnt an issue. The new PVB whatever will be attractive to brides too I am sure.

I really think the distance is going to be far enough. The beach area is closer to Fiji/Tuvalu/Aotearoa and only the resort end will be even remotely close. We still have Francks in between too.
So what do we think the future build resorts will be at wdw? Just DVC? Any moderates at all if they’re having trouble filling deluxe rooms? Are they content with their inventory and don’t plan any new builds at all and just focus on conversions?
They already tore down part of CBR.... let's be real here. A good possibility why Reflections was nixed was because it was adding deluxe rooms. You know, what they struggle to fill anyway.

pdude81

Because the monorail is an inefficient, high maintenance, energy guzzling albatross by today’s operational standards.

It was built as “part of the show” more than efficient transport. Intensive internal study was done when phase 3 construction ramped up…and it was a dog then. It’s only gotten worse since then.
Electric motors are still much more efficient than gas engines though, right? So we're talking more about control systems and load/unload times at this point. Maintenance I can understand but I imagine we could redesign these trains to use fewer, more reliable parts. That leaves the tracks themselves.

ctrlaltdel

It makes more sense to tie in a park that they’ve always planned on having a bigger share of the attendance - DAK - than springs.
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense, as it would also connect the only park with only bus transportation to 2 big resorts who also only have bus transit (as well as connecting to a larger system). But as someone pointed out yesterday with the relatively slow speed of the gondolas I believe (can't remember if it was in this thread or not), it would make for pretty long transit times from AKL to either Epcot or DHS.

UNCgolf

I imagine they could fix that with newer trains etc. -- and it's probably a more efficient means of transport than the Skyliner, although that's if costs are ignored.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom