News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Bocabear

It honestly doesn't need an IP...it just needs to be a beautifully fleshed out thematic setting... the town at the bend near Fort Wilderness outpost... Cleverly designed buildings with facades into that fit into that storyline... Wilderness Lodge plays on the National Parks lodges built by the WPA in the 1920s... Maybe this hotel is an older inn by a railroad depot...with a Harvey Girls restaurant...a different take on the settlement of the Western Frontier... Bring back the narrow gage railroad... making a loop from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness... The train also helps underline the backstory of the Hoop Dee Doo Review....and would make it all feel more accessible to guests... SO much they could do with this that would feel more "Uniquely Disney" and honestly be a real reason to stay there over any of the other Monorail hotels.

MickeyMouse10

Wilderness Junction probably would have looked very similar to Disneyland Paris’ Cheyenne Hotel. They probably just took the same idea and sent it over there. Much like they did with "Alice's Curious Labyrinth" (rumored for Epcot and similar to the one at Beastly Kingdom) and Sleeping Beauty Dragon (similar to Quest for the Unicorn at Beastly Kingdom).

nickys

Premium Member
Wilderness Junction probably would have looked very similar to Disneyland Paris’ Cheyenne Hotel. They probably just took the same idea and sent it over there. Much like they did with "Alice's Curious Labyrinth" (rumored for Epcot and similar to the one at Beastly Kingdom) and Sleeping Beauty Dragon (similar to Quest for the Unicorn at Beastly Kingdom).
So you’re suggesting that DLP got the idea for the Labyrinth and the Dragon under the Castle from the plans for Beastly Kingdom?

DLP opened in 1992 and work had began on it in 1988.

Animal Kingdom was first announced in 1995.

Whilst I guess it’s possible, it doesn’t seem likely. The timelines just don’t match. It would mean the plans for AK had been on the table for over 8 years before any announcement was made, and detailed plans at that.

peter11435

So you’re suggesting that DLP got the idea for the Labyrinth and the Dragon under the Castle from the plans for Beastly Kingdom?

Whilst I guess it’s possible, it doesn’t seem likely. The timelines just don’t match. It would mean the plans for AK had been on the table for over 8 years before any announcement was made, and detailed plans at that.
I’m not confirming the previous posters speculation. But plans for animal kingdom originated in 1990 and the park was green lit and funded in 1992.

nickys

Premium Member
I’m not confirming the previous posters speculation. But plans for animal kingdom originated in 1990 and the park was green lit and funded in 1992.
Even that timeline is tight. It would mean that the plans for the labyrinth and dragon originated in 1990 and were passed to DLP in time to be incorporated into the building that was half way to complete. Given that the dragon is underneath the castle, how likely is it that they could suddenly dig out a dungeon underneath the castle at that stage?

It seems much more likely that the plans came from Paris and incorporated into the AK plans.

yensidtlaw1969

Even that timeline is tight. It would mean that the plans for the labyrinth and dragon originated in 1990 and were passed to DLP in time to be incorporated into the building that was half way to complete. Given that the dragon is underneath the castle, how likely is it that they could suddenly dig out a dungeon underneath the castle at that stage?

It seems much more likely that the plans came from Paris and incorporated into the AK plans.
In fairness, the Chateau's Hillside came before the Dragon's Lair - the Castle was being designed to feature a faux hillside when someone realized there was enough space in it to fit a small walkthrough. The Dragon's Lair was conceived to take advantage of that opportunity rather than the hillside being designed around the cave.

nickys

Premium Member
In fairness, the Chateau's Hillside came before the Dragon's Lair - the Castle was being designed to feature a faux hillside when someone realized there was enough space in it to fit a small walkthrough. The Dragon's Lair was conceived to take advantage of that opportunity rather than the hillside being designed around the cave.
So did that happen over half way through construction?

The plans for AK started around 1990 and were greenlit in 1992. That would still be late on in the build of DLP for someone to go “I know, the dragon’s lair from Beastly Kingdom would fit nicely into that space”.

I really don’t know one way or the other. But if plans for AK were greenlit 3 years before being announced, isn’t it also likely that something similar happened at DLP. And 2-3 years into a 4 year build still seems late to me to have suddenly incorporated two designs into the build.

MickeyMouse10

Thanks for the info Peter, so it is possible it was conceived first. If not, at the very least it was in the plans for both.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Peter, so it is possible it was conceived first. If not, at the very least it was in the plans for both.
AK plans originated half way through the construction of DLP. So the DLP plans predate the AK plans by at least 3-4 years. Much more likely the ideas were in the DLP plans first and then adapted for Beastly Kingdom.

castlecake2.0

AK plans originated half way through the construction of DLP. So the DLP plans predate the AK plans by at least 3-4 years. Much more likely the ideas were in the DLP plans first and then adapted for Beastly Kingdom.
1652716162123.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom