News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

lazyboy97o

If Balfour Beatty Construction LLC continues work on the development of the Hyatt Place: The Art of Disney site, then, it seems, this project is still moving forward :(
Huh? Work has been suspended on all Disney owned projects and whether they continue is their decision. The general contractor has nothing to do with the decision making.

raymusiccity

Or boardwalk which was mixed use from the start and remains that way. Not sure why you are weary of it reminding you of Aulani besides potentially the faulty financials. Aulani is well executed and the best resort Disney has constructed in decades.
Me thinks he meant 'be wary', not 'weary'. Faulty financials led to multiple executives losing their jobs.

UNCgolf

It was my sincere hope that this project would be shelved. Disney’s Hyatt Place at Bay Lake, to me, lacks theming fitting of a deluxe resort.

You should probably just accept it at this point -- they can't really do worse than the Riviera from a theming perspective, and I imagine that's how things are going to be going forward (at least until there's a significant change in leadership).

Haymarket2008

You should probably just accept it at this point -- they can't really do worse than the Riviera from a theming perspective, and I imagine that's how things are going to be going forward (at least until there's a significant change in leadership).

I’m of this thinking too. At least the theming of Reflections seems more consistent than the insane inconsistency of the Riviera. So that’s a plus.

UNCgolf

It's a fashionable slap at Disney to assert that every hotel built since [insert favorite resort] is just a copy of a Hilton Garden Inn or similar.

I don't think that's true. Unless I'm missing something, I've really only seen that thrown around regularly since the Riviera. And I don't think anyone could say that it doesn't apply to the Riviera without being disingenuous.

I think people also misinterpret the meaning, though. It's not an attack on the quality of the hotel itself (there are plenty of Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, whatever that are very nice hotels); just a statement that it's relatively generic and void of the elaborate theming most Disney resorts rely on.

carolina_yankee

Okay...so it’s actually worse.

It’s like finding out the name brand Mayo is the same as the off brand.

Hey, I grew up on a Kraft Mayo. What do I know about quality? I only discovered Hellman’s a few years ago.

I don't think that's true. Unless I'm missing something, I've really only seen that thrown around regularly since the Riviera. And I don't think anyone could say that it doesn't apply to the Riviera without being disingenuous.

I think people also misinterpret the meaning, though. It's not an attack on the quality of the hotel itself (there are plenty of Hyatt, Marriott, Sheraton, whatever that are very nice hotels); just a statement that it's relatively generic and void of the elaborate theming most Disney resorts rely on.

It cropped up a lot around the PV lobby refurb.

I’m just sayin’ y’all are a tough crowd, that’s all!

Personally, i don’t know why BLT doesn’t come in for the comparison. It’s pretty generic. I’m withholding judgment on a Reflections until I see it.

UNCgolf

Personally, i don’t know why BLT doesn’t come in for the comparison. It’s pretty generic. I’m withholding judgment on a Reflections until I see it.

Yeah, I don't have any judgment on Reflections yet. It hasn't even been built. The artist renderings aren't very impressive, but who knows what it will actually look like.

I agree that Bay Lake Tower is generic, but it's just an addition to an existing resort rather than its own standalone property. Plus, the Contemporary was already the least themed Disney hotel. It has an interesting shape and the monorail runs through the lobby; I don't think there's much else memorable about the hotel itself.

I also think the old Polynesian lobby was 10000x better than what's there now, but I think removing the huge water feature was more or less forced (at least if the reporting around it was true). I don't think they just decided it was going to be an improvement or anything like that.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I don't have any judgment on Reflections yet. It hasn't even been built. The artist renderings aren't very impressive, but who knows what it will actually look like.
Like Gran Destino and Riviera, it’s not really “concept art” and is likely a rendering of the 3D model from which the “blueprints” are generated.

I agree that Bay Lake Tower is generic, but it's just an addition to an existing resort rather than its own standalone property. Plus, the Contemporary was already the least themed Disney hotel. It has an interesting shape and the monorail runs through the lobby; I don't think there's much else memorable about the hotel itself.
The shape of a building is a pretty big feature. It’s structural design was and remains unique. While atrium hotels are no longer much of a novelty, the Contemporary opened only four years after the Hyatt Regency Atlanta but the Grand Canyon Concourse is bathed in natural light from its north and south windows whereas Portman’s atriums were almost entirely closed off from the outside world.

I also think the old Polynesian lobby was 10000x better than what's there now, but I think removing the huge water feature was more or less forced (at least if the reporting around it was true). I don't think they just decided it was going to be an improvement or anything like that.
They did just decide it was going to be an improvement and the “difficulty” of repairing or replacing was the predetermined justification.

UNCgolf

The shape of a building is a pretty big feature. It’s structural design was and remains unique. While atrium hotels are no longer much of a novelty, the Contemporary opened only four years after the Hyatt Regency Atlanta but the Grand Canyon Concourse is bathed in natural light from its north and south windows whereas Portman’s atriums were almost entirely closed off from the outside world.

They did just decide it was going to be an improvement and the “difficulty” of repairing or replacing was the predetermined justification.

I'm aware of that, but I meant from the standpoint of the general public. Most people don't look at the Contemporary and see anything unique beyond the fact that the monorail runs through the middle of it, even if we know better.

That's a shame about the Polynesian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom