News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

jt04

Think Disney oversees the whole process but architectural design is done by outside groups:

Fugelberg Koch designed Port Orleans, Old Key West, and Caribbean Beach
Robert Stern did the Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach
Michael Graves did Swan and Dolphin
Peter Dominick did AKL and Wilderness Lodge
Wimberly, Allison, Tong & Goo did Grand Floridian
Graham Gund did Saratoga and Coronado Springs

Do you know who is designing reflections?

jt04

@marni1971 @wdwmagic

I have been wondering, with the generic nature of the last few WDW resorts. How much of the design is actually being carried out by imagineering these days? Do they actually do any of the design? Or is it just a sorta final approval type thing?

Also, How does their involvement compare to say, their involvement with the Animal Kingdom Lodge development?

Sorry but the Destino is not generic inside.

SeaCastle

Do you know who is designing reflections?

The hotels have a long history with the hired architects driving more of the design with input and approval from Walt Disney Imagineering. Welton Becket reportedly disliked the demand to have a monorail in his hotel. The Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Californian are all Peter Dominick projects. Reflections is actually being lead by the same firm that did the original Grand Floridian.

Believe it is Wimberly Allison Tong & Goo as lazyboy97o alluded to. They did the Grand Floridian and a concept for the Mediterranean Resort.

note2001

You’re right. In that case I think the correct word is garish.
TBH - the Destino is a bit subdued by Dali's artistic standards.

Which makes me wonder... how much more or less expensive do designs like what Reflections has going on here cost to build and maintain?
The maintenance is a huge question for potential DVC owners. I'd think the dues would be less than BLT as they won't have the monorail to help pay for, but the boats aren't cheap either. And all that glass = higher AC and heating costs? or does modern glass do an excellent job as an insulator?

jt04

Which makes me wonder... how much more or less expensive do designs like what Reflections has going on here cost to build and maintain?
The maintenance is a huge question for potential DVC owners. I'd think the dues would be less than BLT as they won't have the monorail to help pay for, but the boats aren't cheap either. And all that glass = higher AC and heating costs? or does modern glass do an excellent job as an insulator?

If it overlooks Bay Lake it will mostly be a northern exposure. Sun won't be too big of a deal.

aladdin2007

Correct. They also did the Shades of Green expansion.

just for fun, remember when it was The Disney Inn?

SeaCastle

Biggest problem with it is it tends to go out of fashion.

Exactly- you model a resort or land after something timeless or already historic and it's easier to update moving forward. Same reason we're on the 3rd updates for Tomorrowland and Future World since opening and the rest of the parks looks very much the same since opening. It's hard not to imagine a timeline where Reflections doesn't have to get a major overhaul in 15 years because the postindustrial exposed wood and all-glass open concept yoga retreat becomes the new sponge painting, wood paneling and primary colors of yesteryear..

lazyboy97o

Glass is going to have solar gain, so the lobby will be more expensive to air condition. My guess is the art is looking north, which seems like a decent idea but there are also the sunlights that seem to face east. That means a lot of harsh light will be beaming onto this space in the summer.

The room wings will likely have fairly typical construction. Maintenance really should not be a big factor in dictating the aesthetic, much less the aspects that of recent resorts that have been thoughtfully criticized.

Last edited:

prberk

Remember when it was just The Golf Resort?

View attachment 398583

You beat me to it! Back when WDW was advertised as the Vacation Kingdom, with the Magic Kingdom as only a part of it... and EPCOT being foretold as on the way, the "main part" of WDW. When they actually treated WDW as a complete resort, with more emphasis on the amenities, more than a collection of parks that happen to have hotels that keep people in and bring revenue.

Ponderer

Exactly- you model a resort or land after something timeless or already historic and it's easier to update moving forward. Same reason we're on the 3rd updates for Tomorrowland and Future World since opening and the rest of the parks looks very much the same since opening. It's hard not to imagine a timeline where Reflections doesn't have to get a major overhaul in 15 years because the postindustrial exposed wood and all-glass open concept yoga retreat becomes the new sponge painting, wood paneling and primary colors of yesteryear..

They may update the interior stuff, but I highly doubt big expanses of windows will go out of style when you have a gorgeous view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom