News Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge (Project 89 - Development near Fort Wilderness)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh I agree but if you rounded that island with the copper creek style cabins and had a similar price point per night I think it would definitely be worth their investment.
I would expect it to cost a good deal more. Like I said earlier, anything that goes up there will have to be ultra luxury with a price tag to match.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Umadbro? I'm a millennial, haven't lived with my parents since high school, and just bought a Jayco Jay Sport 10SD. I'll be camping in it with my wife and two daughters. I also like PBR. If anybody is "ruining" camping, it's the retired people who park their Class A rigs in a seasonal spot and insist that every campground be equipped with WiFi and cable TV.
Bravo!

Here's the thing about WiFi and cable... if you don't want them, don't use them. They're otherwise invisible to you. Find campgrounds that can't accommodate Class A's (and there are plenty out there). Concentrate on primitive sites (and there are plenty out there).

Alternately, you can buy a 10-acre parcel of undeveloped land and make it your own private campground.

disneyworlddad

If I had to "guess"....longterm research into demographics indicate that camping in wdw will go obsolete/die out when the 20th century clientele disappears?

I can't help but think and know that you are wrong. The camping/RV industry is booming and it had almost everything to do with the younger generation. Sure it is changing a little, the campers want more amenities, but campers/rv's are selling like hotcakes!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Here's the thing about WiFi and cable... if you don't want them, don't use them. They're otherwise invisible to you.
Incorrect. They're very visible in one key place: price. The cost of family campgrounds has gone up considerably with each additional feature offered.

Find campgrounds that can't accommodate Class A's (and there are plenty out there). Concentrate on primitive sites (and there are plenty out there).
Unfortunately, there's not much middle ground anymore. It's either full hookups with bingo and mini-golf and water slides (and the cost associated with all of it) or primitive primitive, as in no showers and pit toilets.

I can't help but think and know that you are wrong. The camping/RV industry is booming and it had almost everything to do with the younger generation. Sure it is changing a little, the campers want more amenities, but campers/rv's are selling like hotcakes!
Yup. I had to order my RV off of the factory floor. It's still 800 miles away and not fully assembled. There wasn't a single one in stock in all of Southern New England.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I actually wasn't commenting on the camping industry...

It was the camping industry at $140 a ticket to Epcot and $54 for an outback class steak at le cellier

jbolen2

Every month it seems a different friend of mine in the same early 30s late 20s is getting a pull or 5th wheel. It does seem our age group leans toward those while using the existing truck or suv they own vs a class A unit. I’ve noticed this same change at the fort starting at trips that I first remember in the early 90s up until now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Every month it seems a different friend of mine in the same early 30s late 20s is getting a pull or 5th wheel. It does seem our age group leans toward those while using the existing truck or suv they own vs a class A unit. I’ve noticed this same change at the fort starting at trips that I first remember in the early 90s up until now.

A 5'th wheel has all the amenities of a class A yet it has far fewer systems to maintain (powertrain, fuel, brakes etc) just more economical overall

jbolen2

A 5'th wheel has all the amenities of a class A yet it has far fewer systems to maintain (powertrain, fuel, brakes etc) just more economical overall

That’s exactly why I have a dually and 5th wheel. I use the dually somewhat regular so when the camper just sits it’s not so much invested/to maintain. Now my dad loves his bus but to deal with a lot more maintenance. Each have pros and cons, for me and many more people the 5’er just makes more sense.

biggy H

If I had to "guess"....longterm research into demographics indicate that camping in wdw will go obsolete/die out when the 20th century clientele disappears?

I don't know... There are a few Brits on another Disney forum I'm on that book 1 night at the campsite just to get free magic bands and be able to book fastpasses at 60 days out on a rolling day by day basis. closing the campsite will upset them... :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know... There are a few Brits on another Disney forum I'm on that book 1 night at the campsite just to get free magic bands and be able to book fastpasses at 60 days out on a rolling day by day basis. closing the campsite will upset them... :)
What a tremendously laughable angle...but I don't doubt it

Nubs70

As much as I would hate something being built at my favorite place the campgrounds, a moderate/value resort that stays in line with the theme of the campground would fit in okay I guess. I still to this day can’t figure out why they have never expanded the campground, we literally have to book a year out to get reservations there each year.
Hotel provides greater revenue per sqft than a campground.

WDWYankee15

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really hoping it's a new value resort. I'm assuming Pops prices will increase when the gondolas open and the All Stars are pretty terrible :( Not a whole lot of on site options when you're on a budget.
There will be no more value, moderate, etc. categories. The prices will be based upon location and amenities (like the gondola). The prices already reflex minor higher charges for Pop and AOA for the "value" rooms compared to the prices you get quoted for All-Stars. Same thing when you look at French Quarter vs Riverside and Coronado.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There will be no more value, moderate, etc. categories. The prices will be based upon location and amenities (like the gondola). The prices already reflex minor higher charges for Pop and AOA for the "value" rooms compared to the prices you get quoted for All-Stars. Same thing when you look at French Quarter vs Riverside and Coronado.

In laymans terms: all rooms located inside the Pearly gates will have the MAXIMUM price capable of sustaining occupancy charged from here on out...

...so think high $200s or low $300s moving forward...it will ramp up to that level surprisingly quickly.

ABQ

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In laymans terms: all rooms located inside the Pearly gates will have the MAXIMUM price capable of sustaining occupancy charged from here on out...

...so think high $200s or low $300s moving forward...it will ramp up to that level surprisingly quickly.

I simply cannot fathom paying more than $100/night for a room at an All-Star. How Disney can even think they can charge that is a mystery, but the even bigger mystery is the mental status of the guests who will be ready, willing, and able to pay those rates so little Johnny and Suzie can have their "MAGICAL!!!" Disney vacation. Disney is already pushing the boundary for many with current prices, even for those with the money to spend.

So what will happen first - $150+ for a 1-day base ticket, or $250/night for a standard room, non-peak season, at an All-Star.

Well at least they did give credit to @danlb_2000 at the end.

I've visited that site off-and-on for years, it's a solid site and they're usually pretty good about giving credit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They passed that mile post on resort prices long ago...I think there always some latent "disbelief" of where this is leading...

It's a strategy...not "inflation" or "supply and demand"...very deliberate and methodical over a longtime.

The price of port orleans isn't an insane $250 dollar average now to cover the $0.35 an hour raises that the unions will eventually settle for...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom