Reflecting After the Fact

Lefty

Original Poster
I remember this topic being discussed a few weeks ago, and I thought it would be relevant to bring it up again since I'm going through WDW withdrawal...

When I was at Disney, I had fun; we enjoyed ourselves; the room was nice; the atmosphere was amicable and fun-filled...

But I mean, COME ON. Why does it take until AFTER your vacation before you realize how truly incredible and memorable it actually was?

This is week #3 after my trip, and I'm telling you the more I reflect on the vacation, the more I understand how truly blessed I was to be a part of the magic! Why can't I feel this way WHILE I'm there? I had a great time, but it kills me to think of how much more I could have enjoyed myself if I felt as I do now.

Who's with me?

d'Isigny

Lefty said:
I remember this topic being discussed a few weeks ago, and I thought it would be relevant to bring it up again since I'm going through WDW withdrawal...

When I was at Disney, I had fun; we enjoyed ourselves; the room was nice; the atmosphere was amicable and fun-filled...

But I mean, COME ON. Why does it take until AFTER your vacation before you realize how truly incredible and memorable it actually was?

This is week #3 after my trip, and I'm telling you the more I reflect on the vacation, the more I understand how truly blessed I was to be a part of the magic! Why can't I feel this way WHILE I'm there? I had a great time, but it kills me to think of how much more I could have enjoyed myself if I felt as I do now.

Who's with me?

Because your senses are so overwhelmed and you are so caught up in the whole experience that it takes a while before your brain processes everything....

That's the thing about a Disney vacation...the memories start flooding in after you get back home. It happens to us all.

BUT...good point! I was waiting in line for the Great Movie Ride one year and witnessed a father in a straw hat dancing in the street with Tigger, and I thought to myself...he really knows how to immerse himself into the Disney Magic....I mean, his kids were looking at him strangely, but he was having fun.

So...next visit...just let go...wear big funny hats...and enjoy yourself...

Rora

My trips to Disney are usually only 3 or 4 days. In such a short time I have to rush through everything, and don't really have time to stop and smell the roses. That usually comes when I get home and look at all my pictures.

d'Isigny

Rora said:
My trips to Disney are usually only 3 or 4 days. In such a short time I have to rush through everything, and don't really have time to stop and smell the roses. That usually comes when I get home and look at all my pictures.

That is NOT enough dear...

you need a minimum of 8 days...

even then...it's hard to leave.

SpectroPhoenix

It's actually a psychology term called "rosey retrospect"
After so much rushing around, planning, and a constant need to make sure everything goes well, we often forget why we're in the world we love so much in the first place; to relax and get away from the world we live in, ironically, the one filled with all of these things.
Not until we get home do we finally realize what we were experiencing. Even if the trip was filled with arguing and complaints, they all seem nonexistant after the fact, as we try and magnify the good parts and push aside the bad.
I guess it's just a part of the magic of the happiest place on earth, it's a difficult task in itself to convince yourself that a trip wasn't simply amazing.

AHHHH, I can't wait to go back! :cry:

I know what you mean.

I am currently editing all of our video tape from our recent trip. It makes me wish I was there now.

I was talking to my daughter the other day and she told me that on the way home she realized how much she already missed Disney World. I think we created some life long memories for her.

Gary

P74724

hypercatmatt04 said:
I'm taping everything I do in June at WDW on my camcorder.
:lookaroun

I am taking my Camcorder and my Digi Cam!!! My cam can hold 3700 PICS!!! I am so excited, Already got extra batteries and all lol!

Simba1

I'm a CP Cast Member and have always felt the same way here... especially after I got home from trips. It wasn't until I became a CM that I was able to realize what made this place magical WHILE BEING HERE. I took a couple steps back, took it all in and did the little things. Like the Sword in the Stone show. Or the Flag Retreat. Or the Train Station Welcome. Those are things that while here reminded me of why this place is so magical and why I love it so much. It's kinda late (or early depending on how you look at it) so I hope this post makes sense.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I guess I'm lucky, I get the "Magic" while I'm there. Then I savour it once I'm home. I tend to go at my son's pace, do what he wants, go where he goes... I revel in seeing his joy from moment to moment in the World. His happiness is my magic!

My only regret is I tend not to take as many pictures as I should, other than posed character pics, I might have taken a few dozen photos while we were there for a week. Good thing I bought a 1 Ghz memory card for the camera and took a laptop so I could empty it every night :hammer: :brick:

Best advice: Go back, lots! :lol: :sohappy:

MR. DISNEY

I’ve had that problem in the past. I would rush around and then when we got home I would think about all the things I didn’t do, and the crazy pace we tried to keep. We always stayed on property, and we started to feel that we were wasting money because we never used the hotel. Then we got Disney Vacation Club. The next time we went was our first DVC trip. From that point on we now stop everyday (for a swim and lunch back at the pool) and think about what we did and what we will do for the rest of the day. That little time we stop really makes you think about all the good. We end up not missing Disney as much but feeling good about what we did.

WDWEric

I can't wait untill next spring(2007) and see the joy on my childrens face when the get to go to WDW for the first time. i get goosebumps just thinking about it!

jim1051

here here

We always had such fun that we bought into DVC. Now we go almost every year (twice in 2005). We no longer feel pressured to doit all each trip, but can take our time and just do new attractions plus the old favorites. It also lets us try new restaurants etc.

Disneyfan2000

When i go to Disney my parents allow me to have my own magic hours that when we go into the park and after lunch they allow me to leave the family for 3 hours and let me just go and do what i want. Usally in the Magic Kingdom ill go around Main Street and just slow down and take the time to look around and just really take a look at the park. Same with EPCOT i love walkin around the World Show Case just walkin the countries and seeing what Disney has to offer. i try not to smush a million things into 1 hour.

forbidden donut

One strange thing about the human mind is that it can never fully appreciate the significance of an event while it is happening - the appreciation comes later, in our memories.

Rora

"When i go to Disney my parents allow me to have my own magic hours that when we go into the park and after lunch they allow me to leave the family for 3 hours and let me just go and do what i want."

*happy sigh* Thanks for that Disneyfan. That brought back wonderful memories of my childhood when my parents did the same thing.

ArielBelle

Pumpkin Phoenix said:
It's actually a psychology term called "rosey retrospect"

Hey Pumpkin..I noticed it says you are from Sunrise (me too! where from??) :wave: I am up in Gainesville for school, but my family is still in Sunrise! I miss home, but I miss Disney even more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom